Talk:Wikimedians for Sustainable Development

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Logo proposal[edit]

Proposal

I made a quick logo proposal. My idea was to combine the elements of our community logo and the global goals logo (without infringing on their trademark). Ainali (talk) 16:38, 10 November 2019 (UTC)

Looks like a good start to me — thanks! -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 18:13, 10 November 2019 (UTC)
Maybe split the three parts into some more sub-slices, as in the SDG logo? -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 04:50, 11 November 2019 (UTC)
I intentionally did not do that to avoid getting in trademark infringing territory. Ainali (talk) 22:42, 26 November 2019 (UTC)

One of the "logo" of the Sustainable development is File:Sustainable development.svg. It's a Venn diagram with 3 circles of 3 colors which pretty close to our Wikimedia logo with 3 circular arcs of 3 colors. Shouldn't we create a logo base on that? PS: Daniel Mietchen idea to take the SDG logo is also a very good idea, it just seems a bit less general than my suggestion. Cheers, VIGNERON * discut. 18:29, 25 November 2019 (UTC)

What do you propose the other four colours to be? In that image it's magenta, cyan, yellow and black, but wouldn't that just make a big colour mash with our very saturated colours? Ainali (talk) 22:45, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
Wikimedians for Sustainable Development proposition logo.svg
@Ainali: good point, maybe we can stick with just the 3 Wikimedia colours and just take the forms? Here (left) is a quick draft suggestion (in the form of Borromean rings). Cheers, VIGNERON * discut. 16:25, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
Personally I think this is a bit too cluttered. The colors also give some strong effect when there is no white between them. But it is of course mostly taste. Should we arrange a vote? Ainali (talk) 19:35, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
Wikimedians for Sustainable Development alternative logo.svg

Here's a version with 17 fields. Note that the colours repeat unevenly. Should we go with the number of projects we have at the moment instead? Ainali (talk) 22:18, 3 December 2019 (UTC)

@Ainali: again a good point, I added some white on my proposition, it's much better thank you for the remark. I really like the SDG inspired logo too (and 17 - like the SDG logo - is a good number). Yes, we should definitely organised a vote; it's a good and fun way too attract people attention ;) Cheers, VIGNERON * discut. 16:54, 4 December 2019 (UTC)
@VIGNERON: Oh, I like that version a lot more. Feel free to start a vote (or I'll do it tomorrow). As you said, I think it is a very good way to get people to activate. Ainali (talk) 17:56, 4 December 2019 (UTC)
@VIGNERON and Daniel Mietchen: I have now started a vote. Ainali (talk) 18:11, 6 December 2019 (UTC)

How is this group different from the Sustainability Initiative?[edit]

I think this group and its description has major overlaps with the Sustainability_Initiative and I wonder if there are big enough differences or a different interest or if it weren't better to join forces at Sustainability_Initiative/List_of_supporters. --Volker E. (talk) 19:33, 15 November 2019 (UTC)

I guess this group differs mostly in the sense that this one has the explicit goal of becoming a user group whereas the Sustainability initiative as far as I know haven't. After we have become one, we should of course invite all signers of the initiative to join us. Ainali (talk) 22:05, 24 November 2019 (UTC)
Another point to consider is that the Sustainability Initiative is mainly focused on environmental sustainability aspects of the Wikimedia movement, our initiative is supportive of that but also wants to engage with sustainability matters beyond Wikimedia. Pinging Gnom for comment as well. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 06:09, 7 December 2019 (UTC)

Going forward with the application[edit]

Before we start writing on our application we need to have three active wikimedians as primary contacts that are willing to supply their real name to Wikimedia Foundation. I am willing to do that, who else? Ainali (talk) 22:12, 24 November 2019 (UTC)

I strongly recommend this noble initiative, you can use my real name and let's start soon. Rajeeb (talk) 20:25, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
You can use my real name too. Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 08:07, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
Good, User:Daniel Mietchen has also approved it. Here is the draft: Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/User group application. I'll send it in about 16 hours. Ainali (talk) 07:15, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
Btw, the application has been submitted. Ainali (talk) 19:19, 6 December 2019 (UTC)

Ainali is this your first UG application? I can give you more expertise but no idea if I missed some on line meeting.--Alexmar983 (talk) 22:50, 9 December 2019 (UTC)

Yes, that was my first application. You didn't miss any online meeting. Before wasting time on advice about the application itself though, beware that we submitted it nine days ago. Any advice beyond that are greatly appreciated! Ainali (talk) 08:33, 10 December 2019 (UTC)

Online meeting?[edit]

I think it might be good to have a quick online meeting for anyone who is interested. We could talk more about ideas for activities that we could do as a user group. I suggest we meet for an hour on Sunday 16:00 UTC using Jitsi unless someone has any better suggestions. Ainali (talk) 19:18, 6 December 2019 (UTC)

And here is a meeting I set up for tomorrow: https://meet.jit.si/WikimediansForSustainableDevelopment Ainali (talk) 08:20, 14 December 2019 (UTC)
Ok new "rule", we can put the link on the draft for the future and we remove it when the draft is finalized.--Alexmar983 (talk) 01:14, 12 January 2020 (UTC)
Well, the Jitsi link can be reused over and over so no need removing either. It might be nice to save for future reference. Ainali (talk) 10:27, 12 January 2020 (UTC)

Ping template[edit]

It would be good to be able to ping everyone. Could someone with good template skills import d:Template:Ping project to meta? (Or is there already something similar here already?) Ainali (talk) 20:22, 6 December 2019 (UTC)

Facebook page[edit]

I have created a draft for a facebook page. here. I couldn't use WikiSusDev. No point in showing it arund before the logo is ready. Rajeeb is the other designated sysop, as decided on the on-line meeting of December 15th. All participants can be editors. Please contact me all on Facebook, it will speed up this task.--Alexmar983 (talk) 17:10, 15 December 2019 (UTC)

Can we please use wikis instead of Facebook, Telegram, Google Docs, etc? A lot of Wikimedians refuse to use those sorts of things citing longstanding privacy issues. EllenCT (talk) 06:02, 9 February 2020 (UTC)
The social media is really only meant as outreach and complementary to the wikis, not as a replacement place for discussions of the group. Google docs have only been used for sharing information coming to us in that form from others, I don't believe we have created any such documents ourselves. However, what are your privacy concerns relating to Telegram? I was under impression that platform was decent in that regard. Ainali (talk) 10:28, 9 February 2020 (UTC)

Sustainable DEvelopment and 2030 Strategy[edit]

Dear team; as the strategy recommendations are being reviewed now, we might need to include a statement about how the strategy may support the Sustainable Development Goals, and the impact of these goals on the different projects and communities. this may interact with partnerships, work environments, and participants. Some of you might have added notes to the recommendation, it would be great if we gather the notes in this section in order to come up with a convincing statement that fits one or more recommendations. This is to be discussed in February's meeting. Thanks. --Mervat (talk) 21:39, 2 February 2020 (UTC)

Let's collect general feedback here and specific for recommendation 1 and  recommendation 10. Ainali (talk) 18:25, 19 February 2020 (UTC)
Here is a link for a Doodle for a meeting today or tomorrow. Ainali (talk) 08:13, 20 February 2020 (UTC)

Talk:Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Etherpad[edit]

Please help brainstorm on https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/WfSD-20200209 EllenCT (talk) 17:39, 3 February 2020 (UTC)

I can't make the coordination call, so I copied everything on-wiki. The agreement googledoc is not shared as readable. EllenCT (talk) 06:01, 9 February 2020 (UTC)

Interesting project[edit]

This grant request: Grants:Project/Hackfish/Global food and nutrition database seems interesting (they are also mentioning the SDGs). Ainali (talk) 22:18, 19 February 2020 (UTC)

Morningstar and Sustainalytics are NOT including accurate GHG emissions in their ESG ratings[edit]

I just heard directly from Morningstar and Sustainalytics, that their ESG ratings do not include the "Scope 3" carbon footprint (see e.g. pp. 87-93) of the World Resources Institute, World Business Council for Sustainable Development, and Carbon Trust's Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Value Chain Accounting and Reporting Standard. So for example much of the 25% reduction in carbon emissions from work-from-home policies may not be accurately credited to the companies implementing them.

I'd like to propose that we focus editathon and similar guidance around this and other issues, including power-to-gas opportunities and remote work techniques. I will prepare a more detailed proposal soon. EllenCT (talk) 18:37, 10 March 2020 (UTC)

50th Anniversary of Earth Day[edit]

Hi, is anyone in this group planning online edithatons/other online activities for the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day? --Scann (talk) 20:40, 12 April 2020 (UTC)

Hi Scann, the Wikimedia Foundation is aparrently planning a partnership with Earth Day Live, and has also been asked to partner with Fridays For Future. In German Wikipedia, we will have "Earth" as article of the day and it would be cool to have something related to nature protection or climate as article of the day in other languages as well. Finally, there is Wikimedians of the Caribbean User Group/Wiki Cari Earth Week. --Gnom (talk) 21:09, 12 April 2020 (UTC)

Wikimedia Cascadia event with this group as sponsor[edit]

I am presenting at an event and listing Wikimedians for Sustainable Development as a sponsor.

Cascadia is the Pacific Northwest region of the United States along with a portion of the British Columbia coast in Canada. Part of the culture of the people there is advocating for a healthy bioregion, and in this presentation I will showcase Wikipedia content related to sustainable development.

I am sharing this here as a usergroup activity. Also I wanted to demonstrate an example of how to use this usergroup in presentations as a way to invite people in to Wikipedia editing, and to show that there are communities in Wikipedia such as this one which people can join. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:01, 5 May 2020 (UTC)

Yes! This is a very nice example on how this user group is meant to empower anyone working with sustainable development topics in our projects. Thanks for sharing! Ainali (talk) 17:01, 5 May 2020 (UTC)
Events can be challenging to document and note. I set up a category on English Wikipedia which I intend to use. See it at en:Category:Wikimedians for Sustainable Development meetups. We can report these in our Wikimedia Movement Affiliate annual report. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:47, 5 May 2020 (UTC)

Call for candidates - June 2020[edit]

Hi everyone,

The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing and sustaining Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is seeking new members!

The main role of the AffCom is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and update the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as well as advise them on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of five to fifteen members, selected at least once every year, to serve two-year terms. As the committee must hold mid-year elections to replenish its members at this time, those joining the committee during the current process will serve a slightly extended term from July 2020 through December 2022.

AffCom continues to closely monitor the Wikimedia 2030 Strategy process initiated in 2016. While the affiliation models continue to be discussed as part of the broader strategy discussion, as no decisions have been made to change the current affiliation models yet, AffCom continues to work in the same manner with regard to affiliate recognitions and intervention support for affiliates with issues of non-compliance in 2020. AffCom continues to process applications for user group and chapter/thematic organization creation, while we await the strategy next steps and begin to prepare for a smooth transition of the committee and affiliates ecosystem to any changing movement structures and systems in 2021.

Being a part of the AffCom requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a mix of different skill sets in our members.

Click here for further details.

James Heilman on behalf of AffCom

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:18, 13 June 2020 (UTC)

Affiliations Committee elections announcement June 2020[edit]

Hi everyone,

This is a friendly reminder that the Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing and sustaining Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is seeking new members! The deadline to post your application on the nomination page is 30 June 2020.

  • Application process: Considering the anticipated changes following the Strategy recommendations, we had a limited scope to introduce changes in the process. We have made a small but impactful addition to the application process by introducing the Self Assessment survey form which will help the committee know more about your engagement as endorsements are not consistently shared, may not be representative, and often do not speak to the specific skills needed.
  • Selection process: No change; see: Membership.

If you have any questions, please contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to answer questions about our work if this helps people decide to apply. Please distribute this announcement among your networks. Good luck to all the candidates!

On behalf of the committee,

--Rosiestep (talk) 00:49, 19 June 2020 (UTC) via MassMessaging

June 21 All-Affiliates Brand Meeting[edit]

All Wikimedia affiliates are invited to join an urgent All-Affiliates Brand Meeting in two sessions on Sunday June 21, regarding the most recent developments.--Pharos (talk) 20:03, 19 June 2020 (UTC)

For future records, we were quite a few from the user group (at least 5) attending. Ainali (talk) 07:15, 27 June 2020 (UTC)

Signing the Community open letter on renaming[edit]

This is a vote on whether the user group should sign the Community open letter on renaming to the board of Wikimedia Foundation. Due to the short time frame, the vote will be closed on Friday July 26 12.00 UTC. Ainali (talk) 18:40, 23 June 2020 (UTC)

Support
  1. Ainali (talk) 18:40, 23 June 2020 (UTC)
  2. I joined the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to discuss this. This open letter encourages collaborative and equitable decision making, which aligns with the goals of this community organization. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:12, 23 June 2020 (UTC)
Oppose


Comments

Since there were no opposing votes, i signed the letter yesterday, well after deadline. Ainali (talk) 07:15, 27 June 2020 (UTC)

Feedback on movement names[edit]

There are a lot of conversations happening about the future of our movement names. We hope that you are part of these discussions and that your community is represented.

Since 16 June, the Foundation Brand Team has been running a survey in 7 languages about 3 naming options. There are also community members sharing concerns about renaming in a Community Open Letter.

You should have received a separate affiliate survey via email. If you have not, feel free to email brandproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org.

Our goal in this call for feedback is to hear from across the community, so we encourage you to participate in the survey, the open letter, or both. The survey will go through 7 July in all timezones. Input from the survey and discussions will be analyzed and published on Meta-Wiki.

Thanks for thinking about the future of the movement --The Brand Project team, 13:37, 2 July 2020 (UTC)

Note: The survey is conducted via a third-party service, which may subject it to additional terms. For more information on privacy and data-handling, see the survey privacy statement.

Announcing a new wiki project! Welcome, Abstract Wikipedia[edit]

Hello everyone. I am posting the announcement below, which you may have missed elsewhere, and in the hope that you can share it with your local communities. Please note that it may be available in your language at m:Special:MyLanguage/Abstract Wikipedia/July 2020 announcement. Thanks for your attention! m:User:Elitre (WMF)


Template for user box for English Wikipedia?[edit]

Could someone please create the template so that the user box for this group can also be used in the English Wikipedia? I mean this template which is currently just in Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:User_Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development I don't know how to copy a template from one place (Meta) to another (English Wikipedia), otherwise I would do it myself. I would like to add that user box to my user profile in the English Wikipedia. Thanks. EMsmile (talk) 02:40, 31 July 2020 (UTC)

Technically, you can just copy and paste the text into a template with same name, ie en:Template:User Wikimedians for Sustainable Development. What I am not sure of is what the policy on them and documentation are on enwiki. Ainali talkcontributions 15:10, 30 October 2020 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done [1] --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 19:17, 30 October 2020 (UTC)

Invitation to join project for Global Goals Week edit-a-thon in September[edit]

I would like to invite all members of "Wikimedians for Sustainable Development" to involve themselves in planning and conducting this exciting event: it's a week long online edit-a-thon on SDG topics in September. You can find more information here. Please make use of the talk page there (or here) to help me conceptualize this properly. I already have a Dashboard set up as well if anyone wants to sign up as an active editor (link here). Currently we only plan to tackle the English Wikipedia but of course this could be expanded later. EMsmile (talk) 05:29, 4 August 2020 (UTC)

ISA campaign for the World Water Week[edit]

August 23-28 is the World Water Week. I suggest we set up a campaign for the ISA tool to improve metadata for media related to that, and perhaps in particular SDG 6 Clean water and sanitation . Here is subpage to discuss the configuration. Ainali talkcontributions 08:40, 15 August 2020 (UTC)

Sunday August 23: Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Strategic flock of Wikimedians heading in a new direction.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a proposed forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

The idea is to follow up on the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting and other strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 21:42, 20 August 2020 (UTC)

Conversation with Wikimedia Foundation Sustainability Consortium group[edit]

Hello,

Last year, the Wikimedia Foundation created a group called the Sustainability Consortium. Our first year of this new group was focused on establishing organization on the Foundation projects we wanted to do in FY2019/20. For FY20/21, we’d like to host meetings with interested community members to have structured conversations about sustainability and some of the topics that have been raised (for example, emission certificates, event participation, etc).

We’re hoping to have these conversations once a quarter, with the first topic being "What is our position on emission certificates?". Would community members be interested in these conversations? If so, we can set up a zoom or google meet call on September 18th, which is also the date we've selected for a climate change editathon (more information on that to come).

Let us know if this is of interest to you!

Thanks,

Deb and Lydia

I might be interested but right now I am even more interested in your climate change editathon? We are also running one from 19-26 September where climate change will be a part of due to SDG 13. See here. Perhaps there are synergies. EMsmile (talk) 04:30, 4 September 2020 (UTC)
@EMsmile: I've just posted the links to the Climate Justice Editathon happening on Sept 18, 2020 and the Sustainability Community Roundtable meeting (also happening on Sept 18, 2020). We decided to keep this first quarterly editathon focused on Climate Justice, rather than directly aligning with the SDG and your week long editathon. However, we're promoting the SDG editathon to Foundation staff and I hope they join in on the fun! :) deb (talk) 20:25, 11 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday September 20 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Birds of a feather flock together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August SWAN meeting and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday September 20, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 02:03, 18 September 2020 (UTC)

Movement Strategy - What Are Your Choices For Implementation[edit]

Hello Wikimedians for Sustainable Development,

The time has come to put Strategy into work and everyone's invited to participate.

The Movement Strategy Design Group and Support Team are inviting you to organize virtual meetings with your community and colleagues before the end of October. The aim is for you to decide what ideas from the Movement Strategy recommendations respond to your needs and will have an impact in the movement. The recommendations are available in different formats and in many languages. There are 10 awesome recommendations and close to 50 recommended changes and actions or initiatives. Not everything will be implemented. The aim of prioritization is to create an 18-month implementation plan to take some of the initiatives forward starting in 2021.

Prioritization is at the level of your group, affiliate, and community. Think local and relevant! Regional and thematic platforms are great ways to prepare and share ideas. Afterwards, we will come together in November to co-create the implementation plan. More information about November’s global events will be shared soon. For now and until the end of October, organize locally and share your priorities with us.

You can find guidance for the events, the simple reporting template, and other supporting materials here on Meta. You can share your results directly on Meta, by email, or by filling out this survey. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or comments, strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org

We will be hosting office hours to answer any questions you might have, Thursday October 1 at 14.00 UTC (Google Meet).

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:18, 25 September 2020 (UTC)

Do we really need the long box on the right side?[edit]

I don't understand why we need to have that really long box on the right side of the page. Can't that be collapsed? Why does it need to show all the different chapters? It makes the page look strange.EMsmile (talk) 01:26, 16 October 2020 (UTC)

Hmm, for me the sections with Chapters, Thematic organizations and User groups all collapse into just one row each. It doesn't for you? Ainali talkcontributions 18:14, 17 October 2020 (UTC)
Oh, strange, now it looks better (collapsed). When I looked at it before I somehow got the extended view and the box was very very long. I'll observe to figure out what causes it to expand. EMsmile (talk) 04:23, 19 October 2020 (UTC)

Reorganise the section on sub-pages[edit]

I'd like to reorganise the section on sub-pages but I don't know how to do it from an IT perspective. I think the items "meeting minutes" and "newsletters" ought to be collapsed because otherwise over time this list will get incredibly long and dominate the whole page. I thought I could do it with these commands but it doesn't work as some other template is used: {{ctop|2020|expand=true}} {{cbot}} EMsmile (talk) 01:26, 16 October 2020 (UTC)

The problem is rather that Template:ctop and Template:cbot doesn't exist. But I agree that we should reorganize it someway. It was a handy way in the beginning to findsubpages, but now that there are so many, perhaps we should rely on categories instead? Ainali talkcontributions 18:12, 17 October 2020 (UTC)
How about changing the heading to Archives and just have three links, Activities archive, Meeting minutes and Newsletter? Of course complemented by making sure that all other subpages have a relevant category. Ainali talkcontributions 18:53, 17 October 2020 (UTC)
Oh, I keep forgetting that the templates don't work everywhere. I thought they are somehow "wiki text". I took that from the English Wikipedia. I think an archive of sorts of the meeting minutes and newsletters would be good. But perhaps keep the previous events visible (for now) because there are not so many and they give a good indication what the group is all about? - Strange that none of the other group members take part in these discussions on the talk page (much), even though they are more active in the Telegram group. EMsmile (talk) 04:25, 19 October 2020 (UTC)
I suggest to use "categorytree" tool. The result will be like this:
--Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 18:56, 30 October 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 17:49, 20 October 2020 (UTC)

Sustainable Development Goals subpages[edit]

I added SDGs list and icons. For each of these goals, we could create a subpage (e.g.: Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Goal 4: Quality education) where explain what we can do and how and we have done yet. Opinions? --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 14:56, 30 October 2020 (UTC)

I like the idea. Will it be a lot of work to keep them all updated though? But even with that concern, I think it's worth testing. Ainali talkcontributions 15:07, 30 October 2020 (UTC)
By the way, we also have the page Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Potential activities that has ideas on what we can do. Ainali talkcontributions 11:21, 31 October 2020 (UTC)
In this case, we could use Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Potential activities instead of creating new pages. The list of potential activities actually is very short, so I propose to send a message in the discussion page of any user of the list Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development#Participants asking them to add their proposals on Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Potential activities. --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 23:26, 13 November 2020 (UTC)

Sending a reminder to all the participants for each meeting[edit]

For increasing the participation to our meetings, I propose to send before each meeting a reminder to each participant discussion page.

This could be an example:

 == Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - Invitation to participate at our next meeting ==
 [[File:Wikimedians for Sustainable Development-3-rotated.svg|right|120px]]
 
 Dear {{PAGENAME}}, as a [[Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development|Wikimedian for Sustainable Development]], you are invited to participate to our next online meeting, that will take place in less than 24 hours. Please check the page [[Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Next meeting]] for more details and to check the exact day and time related to your timezone. Speak you soon. --~~~~

Do you know any tool we could use at this purpose for sending this message to all the members together? By the way, do we have a newsletter? --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 23:49, 13 November 2020 (UTC)

There is the tool Special:Massmessage which we use to send our newsletter, but then people need to sign up for a special page for that.
And yes, we do have a newsletter, it is linked from the section Ongoing activities. Ainali talkcontributions 19:09, 15 November 2020 (UTC)

User interests on Sustainable Development Goals[edit]

I propose to transform the list Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development#Participants in a table with two columns, where in the secondo column each user can specify if he/she is interested to contribute on our user group participating in activities and/or discussion relating to sustainability in general on to some specific SDG, using the template:SDG. For example:

Username Interest on Sustainable Development Goals for participation on user group
A participant The Global goals
Another participant mainly Responsible consumption and marine life Responsible consumption and production Life below water , but also on sustainable agriculture for reducing hunger Zero hunger 
AnotherUserAgain Good health and well-being 
AndSoOn all SDGs in general The Global goals, but more interested in clean energy Affordable and clean energy 

At this purpose, we could ask to all the participants to update the list with a message on their discussion page. --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 00:02, 14 November 2020 (UTC)

Hi Daniele Pugliesi, sounds good to me. Please go ahead.EMsmile (talk) 15:30, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
While an interesting idea, this will make it harder for people to sign up. We already have seen people getting it wrong. Perhaps this should instead be an optional thing? I am also pondering the added value. What would anyone use this information for? By knowing who to not invite for an editathon? Are participants getting invited too much right now? Ainali talkcontributions 22:33, 17 November 2020 (UTC)
Yes, it would be only optional, not compulsory. Would just be a suggestion. And I wouldn't put it on the discussion page but with the participant list of Wikimedians for Sustainable Development. EMsmile (talk) 03:03, 18 November 2020 (UTC)

SDGs interests userboxes[edit]

We could create userboxes for SDGs, so every user can use it to show his/her interest or involvement in all or some SDGs. --Daniele Pugliesi (talk) 00:13, 14 November 2020 (UTC)

For meta or other projects? Either way, that is something you can just do, no need to wait for consensus. Ainali talkcontributions 19:11, 15 November 2020 (UTC)

Join the Global Conversations on November 21 and 22[edit]

Hola, こんにちは, E kaabo, Ciao, ਸਤਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ, Hello, سلام, Halo, Salut, 你好, Nnọọ, হ্যালো, Hallo, สวัสดี, Dzień dobry, Gyebale ko, வணக்கம், Mi Kwabo, ନମସ୍କାର, приветствие, שלום, Mholo, नमस्ते, γεια, Ahoj, ഹലോ, 여보세요, مرحبا, Բարեւ Ձեզ, Xin chào, Hallå, ಹಲೋ, Sawubona, નમસ્તે, Здраво, Merhaba, Talofa, హలో, Olá, ನಮಸ್ಕಾರ

Wikimedians for Sustainable Development, we would love to see you at the upcoming Movement Strategy Global Conversations. It’s been a while.

The Movement Strategy Global Conversations will take place on Saturday November 21, 11:00 to 15:00 UTC, and Sunday November 22, 17:00 to 21:00 UTC, and you are warmly invited.

The focus will be to look at priorities identified by communities and affiliates, and to begin to create a movement-wide implementation plan for 2021. The main sessions will be in English. Any group interested to support live interpretation in another language may be able to receive a rapid grant. Let us know as soon as possible.

Please register by Nov. 20 so we can share the Zoom login information with you. If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Support Team via Telegram, Wikimedia Chat or by email at strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org.

Looking forward to seeing you on November 21 or 22.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:05, 16 November 2020 (UTC)

SDG inline template[edit]

Hi Daniele Pugliesi: would you be able to create those SDG inline templates also for the English Wikipedia? I'd like to use them on my user page. So far we only have them in Meta.EMsmile (talk) 15:36, 17 November 2020 (UTC)

Call for insights on ways to better communicate the work of the movement[edit]

The Movement Strategy recommendations published this year made clear the importance of establishing stronger communications within our movement. To this end, the Foundation wants to gather insights from communities, including affiliates, on ways we all might more consistently communicate about our collective work, and better highlight community contributions from across the movement. Over the coming months, we will be running focus groups and online discussions to collect these insights. We hope your affiliate will decide to share your thoughts by participating in a focus group or joining the discussion on Meta-Wiki.

ELappen (WMF) (talk) 18:54, 18 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 18:53, 24 November 2020 (UTC)

Global Conversations continue on December 5 and 6[edit]

Hola, こんにちは, Ciao, Hello, سلام, Halo, Salut, 你好, Nnọọ, হ্যালো, Hallo, สวัสดี, Dzień dobry, வணக்கம், приветствие, שלום, Mholo, हैलो, γεια, Ahoj, ഹലോ, 여보세요, مرحبا, Բարեւ Ձեզ, Olá, Xin chào, Hallå, ಹಲೋ, Sawubona, Здраво, Merhaba, Talofa, హలో

Global Conversations Dec. 5 & 6

Hi Wikimedians for Sustainable Development. 250 people participated in virtual Global Conversations that took place on November 21 and 22. The conversation continues on December 5 and 6 and we warmly invite you to take part. Registration is open until December 4. Looking forward to seeing you.

Since September, many groups have shared their local, regional, and thematic priorities for implementing the Movement Strategy recommendations. During the first set of Global Conversations on Nov. 21 and 22, we focused on initiatives that should be globally prioritized and coordinated. We invite you to read the selected global priorities. What do you like about them? What is missing? And what would make you want to play an active role in implementation? Share your thoughts in advance and continue the conversation on December 5 and 6.

Looking forward to seeing you again, or for the first time, on December 5 and 6.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 20:58, 25 November 2020 (UTC)