Learning patterns/How to involve cultural partner as active GLAM participants
What problem does this solve?
Cultural institutions are major counterparts for the Wikimedia movement. Part of our work is to make available and free, the content and heritage they have inside. But that does not mean they should be passive organizations. In Argentina, cultural organizations do not usually take the lead in organizing proposals and new activities. This passivity meant that often, institutions see our editors as scribes of their heritage; far from what they really could do. The reality is that within the same cultural organizations there are many people who can become editors and they also have a community that may be interested in it too.
Involving the cultural institutions as active editors is essential for two main reasons :
- They can learn how to put in value in the Wikimedia projects their own heritage.
- Our Wikimedia community and volunteers don't get tired.
What is the solution?
Since the first meeting with a new culture institution, it is based on an agreement which will be the responsibilities of each partner. From this point of view, in Wikimedia Argentina we work as follows for institutions to be active :
- Establish a focal point in each institution that would be our reference project manager.
- Define along with the institution which heritage is important for the Wikimedia movement and can be released.
- Train them in free culture and content release in Wikimedia projects.
- Prior to the edit-a-thon, an editing a workshop conducted - 3 hours - for the staff of the organization.
- Another editing training organized by the institution for their own community, prior to the edit-a-thon.
- To organize and develop the edit-a-thon, also inviting editors of our community, but above all, with attendees coming from the institution and its community.
Things to consider
When to use
- When approaching a new cultural institution to work with.
- When organizing a new edit-a-thon and wanting to reach new audiences to become new editors.
- Towards a Successful GLAM Partnership
- How to write an agreement with a GLAM or institution
- GLAM on Tour - connecting Wikipedians and cultural institutions on the local level
- Wikipedian KulTour – the little sister of GLAM on Tour