Grants:PEG/Grant Advisory Committee/Candidates/Selection process
Grant Advisory Committee
To maintain a large, diverse, and active committee, we add new members at least twice a year. This is the process by which candidates are added to the Grant Advisory Committee (GAC).
How members are added
- Anyone may add their name and a statement indicating interest to the list of candidates. These may be added on a rolling basis, although we announce via an open call before each round of recruitment (typically twice a year).
- The committee is encouraged to actively invite new members to add themselves to the list of candidates! See below for an invite template. Personal invitation is how we get some of our most awesome and committed members :)
- After the published deadline for each recruitment round, committee members will review the list of candidates to see who meets the criteria to join.
- All candidates who meet the criteria should be invited to join the committee. This is done by adding their name to the list of members, and sending the candidate a talk message (see below for a sample message), and additional onboarding activities.
- Any candidates who do not meet the criteria should be informed and invited to resubmit in the future when they're able to meet the criteria.
- All candidate statements and signatures should then be moved to the candidate archives for future reference.
- Sample invites for recruiting new committee members
The Grant Advisory Committee is looking for new members. I've enjoyed helping recommend projects and grantees for funding as part of this committee. We could use your expertise! More information is on meta-wiki. Hope to see you there. Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 20:47, 18 November 2014 (UTC)
==Open call to join the [[m:Grants:PEG|Project and Event Grant Advisory Committee]]==
Hi [person]! The Wikimedia Foundation and the [[m:Grants:PEG/Grant_Advisory_Committee|Grant Advisory Committee]] (GAC) invite you to join us to help review grants from organizations, groups, and individuals to undertake projects that benefit the Wikimedia movement. These grants support offline activities that support local communities to create or improve content online.
If you'd like to get involved, please '''[[:m:Grants:PEG/Grant_Advisory_Committee/Candidates|add yourself as a candidate for the GAC]]''' by Tuesday, 30 December 2014. Hope to see you there! ~~~~
- Sample of the welcome message we send to new committee members
== Welcome to the Grant Advisory Committee ==
Thanks for signing up to join the Grant Advisory Committee! It is my pleasure to confirm your membership. We've got a lot to accomplish together and it will be awesome to have your help. Here's how to get started:
To make your membership official, please do two things by DATE:
- Introduce yourself in the IdeaLab.
- Send your email address and preferred username to grantswikimedia.org, so that we can subscribe you to the committee mailing list.
Then there are two initial tasks for active committee members to start on right away:
- Read the information in the Committee Workroom (your committee organizing hub on meta), beginning with the getting started guide for new members.
- Start giving feedback on open ideas, drafts and proposals. Asking questions to gather information you’ll need to make a recommendation helps prospective grantees think through their projects, and will give us more great proposals to choose from.
WMF staff will be posting information about selection of proposals on the committee mailing list, so please keep an eye there!
Thanks again for joining us to help make impactful Project and Event Grants :-)
- Sample of messaging for those who aren't selected to join
==Grant Advisory Committee candidacy==
Thanks very much for submitting your candidacy for the Grant Advisory Committee. We appreciate that you took the time to share your background and thoughts with us, and enjoyed learning about the contributions you've been making to Wikimedia.
This round, the committee has not selected you to join as a member. We'd like to see you SUGGESTION BASED ON CRITERIA THEY DIDN'T MEET.
We encourage you to keep going with SPECIFIC THINGS THAT ARE AWESOME, and to stay involved with Project and Event Grants (PEG) program by commenting on PEG proposals and ideas in the IdeaLab – we need everyone's input and yours would be very appreciated as a community member. I hope that you'll consider signing up as a candidate again in a future round. Thanks again for participating, SIGNED