- Interim report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant/Report.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page.
- Please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant/Report/2012 to comment on or read the final report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
This is the 6th report on Mediagrant, which aims to summarize our progress from July till September 2012. Members of the current Mediagrant 'eye' are still the same, Chmee2, Packa and Vojtech.dostal.
Overview of MG media collection topics
|Objects||Photographs||Expenditures CZK||Paid out CZK|
|Foto českých obcí||Documentation of Czech Municipalities including the smallest ones||54||563||4963||15 314 ($790)||7 650|
|Lidová architektura||Vernacular architecture||1||1||31||728 ($40)||0|
|Lidové kroje a zvyky||Czech Vernacular Clothes and Customs||2||2||301||2 100 ($110)||2 000|
|Obrazová dokumentace chráněných území a památných stromů v ČR||Documentation of protected Natural Areas and Memorable Trees in the Czech Republic||68||271||5 032||12 506 ($650)||11 270|
|Odborná fotografie||Scientific Photography||4||3||270||762 ($40)||502|
|Události||Documentation of important events in the Czech Republic||2||2||93||132 ($10)||97|
|Vodstvo||Water bodies of the Czech Republic||1||2||47||2032 ($110)||2032|
|Židovské památky||Documentation of Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic||10||152||1552||5 160 ($270)||4 431|
|Summary||142||996||12 289||38 774 ($1,990)||27 981|
- There were no one-time requests approved during this period (July – September 2012)
(two applications have been submitted but not fully evaluated yet).
- There will always be some difference between “Expenditures” and “Paid out” because there is always a time delay between recording expenditures into tracker and supporting them by documents and approving them. The second reason for this is that a few expenditures were decided not be approved in full extent.
- This evaluation discovered an unusually high difference between Expenditures and Paid out in the 'Documentation of Czech Municipalities' topic. The guarantees were promptly given a notice and told us that the discrepancies would be solved as soon as possible.
- The amounts in USD was rounded so the summary amounts should not correspond.
Total amount of all Mediagrant expenditures: 129 442,85 CZK (approx. 6,640 USD)
- one-time requests: 90 706,75 CZK (4,650 USD)
- long-term topics: 38 733,60 CZK (1,990 USD)
Remote access to all digitized receipts and documents from WMCZ's Mediagrant a Presentation&Outreach grants has been established in the Tracker. As some of the data are rather private, a limited number of people can view the digitized receipts (including User:Abartov and User:Winifred, two WMF representatives).
- Czech Wiki community
The effort to include as many people as possible and from diverse regions of the Czech Republic, has continued. As already mentioned, a developing community in Brno was provided one of our "chapter cameras", leading to some very interesting pictures mainly taken by two local Wikipedians who took use of the camera. While the camera is now back in Prague, it was suggested that the Wikimedians/Wikipedians from Brno can borrow it any time again. This will be accomplished during our Wikiconference in November.
- Czecho-Slovak cooperation
We also made some effort to inquire the possibilities of a much further-reaching collaboration and offered the Mediagrant scheme to the newly established Slovak Wikimedia Chapter, with which we have excellent relations. We suggested that we would be willing to share our grant to finance similar "photographic documentation" efforts in Slovakia. The idea was mulled over but it was decided that the Slovaks would prefer to apply for their own, similar grant. Thus, this idea was not even consulted with WMF representatives.
- Blog post
We decided that more people should get to know about our Mediagrant programme, so a corresponding blog post was published on WMF blog. We had a positive feedback from people all over the world, asking how they could participate; the Mediagrant is limited to the Czech Republic region, though. Mediagrant was also mentioned (and operated with) during the Czech Wiki loves Monuments.
- Facebook - a success story
Social networks, though still a little neglected in the Wikimedia environment, have once again proved their importance. A 'Protected Areas' Facebook Page, run by Chmee2 (coordinator of WikiProject Protected Areas initiative), has more than 600 active fans who respond vividly to the posts published every day on the page. New Grant participants (User:Nirmina in case of Protected Areas grant, User:Richenza in case of Czech Municipalities grant) started contributing thanks to regular calls published on this Facebook page. Similar pages exist for other Grant projects (1, 2), although without such a regular management and with a smaller fan community.