Grants:PEG/WM NO/Nordic Chapter Meeting 2012/Report
Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
Wikimedia Norway arranged a cross-chapter meeting of the Nordic countries, to prepare all-Nordic projects of outreach and communication to be carried out throughout 2012. Participants included:
- Wikimedia Sweden:
- Holger Motzkau, Jakob Hammerbäck, Bengt Oberger, Lennart Guldbrandsson
- Wikimedia Norway:
- Jarle Vines, Erlend Bjørtvedt, Kjetil Ree
- Wikimedia Denmark:
- Steen Thomassen
- Wikimedia Finland:
Project goal and measures of success
The goal of the meeting was to decide on key all-Nordic programs for 2012. The meeting aimed at closing the following list of projects:
- Saami project - Add Sweden (and Finland?) to joint the WMNO Saami Project.
- Status: Unconcluded, because it depends on further funding from the Sametinget, which will be communicated later in 2012.
- Nordic Wikimedia yearbook, agreeing on scope, content and budget.
- Status: Concluded, the yearbook text is almost finished and funding for printing in september has been obtained by Wikimedia Sweden. The project has drawn the outreach efforts and results of the lesser chapter (Norway, Denmark) into a coherent presentation with the greater chapter (Sweden), to the benefit of strengthening the communication of outreach results in all countries. This was a clear aim presented in the grant submission.
- FSCONS Outreach - discussing a Wikimedia presence and small seminar program.
- Status: Planning of a Wikipedia presence is ongoing.
- Nordic Council application - exploring most suitable projects for grant applications.
- Status: Unconcluded, there has not been capacity to explore this further yet.
Measures of success
The meeting will be a success if we achieve at least two of the following KPIs in 2012:
- Sweden or Finland get connected to the Saami Parliament funding scheme (Saami Wikipedia project).
- Status: Unconcluded, under discussion between SE (Bengt Oberger) and NO (Erlend Bjørtvedt, Trond Trosterud).
- The Nordic Yearbook is produced and distributed in 2012.
- Status: Success, the Nordic yearbook text is more or less ready and printing is agreed.
- A joint event, grand safari, etc is realized in connection with WLM 2012.
- Status: Unsuccessful. There were national photo safaries, but not a joint one.
- A major joint seminar with external outreach is realized, for example at FSCONS 2012.
- Status: Success, a seminar and event, including WLM award, was carried out at FSCONS in Gothenburg..
- A Nordic Council project application is developed and executed on.
- Status: Unconcluded, under discussion.
- Several GLAM institutions get connected across borders as result of the efforts.
- Status: Success. The GLAM outreach at Wikipedia Academy specifically drew the Nordic Museum (Stockholm) into direct dialogue with norwegian museums and Arts Council Norway. Further, the Nordic Yearbook presents GLAM museum outreach into a Nordic setting that facilitates Wikipedian-in-residence exchange.
What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects?
- We probably set up too many goals to be achieved. Next time, 2-3 projects would probably be more realistic for cross-national cooperation in a one-year perspective. At the same time, the meeting allowed for discussion and for presenting ideas, so we agreed that success would mean to realize at least two of the projects. That is underway to be achieved.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- Increased quality obtained in outreach result communication, and generally in the way chapters present the rationale and value of GLAM outreach to external audiences.
- Increased reach from the ongoing distribution of the Nordic Yearbook and a FSCONS Wikipedia seminar.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
Did you send WMF documentation of all expenses paid for with grant funds?
Details of expenditures:
Wikimedia Norway hosted a low-cost Nordic Chapter Meeting in Oslo, the day before the Wikipedia Academy 2012. Meeting localities were hired for free from the oil workers' labour union. Costs got considerably lower because WMNO chairman got external funding for air travel, and hotel rates got heavily discounted. Receipts ca be transferred to WMF.
|Hotell 8 persons sum||4.440||WMSE, WMDK, WMNO chairman|
|Hotel 2 persons WMDK||2.800||2 nights (Steen Thomassen)|
|Hotel 4 persons WMSE||6.300||9 nights (Holger Motzkau, Jakob Hammerbäck, Bengt Oberger, Lennart Guldbrandsson)|
|Hotel Jarle Vines WMNO||1.400||2 nights (Jarle Vines)|
|Travel Jarle Vines WMNO||279||na||From airport train and to meeting location|
|Lunch Sunday meeting||1.168||2.000||10 persons budgeted, 8 served|
|Dinner Saturday pre-meeting||2.618||3.000||10 persons budgeted, 9 served|
|Dinner Sunday meeting||No|
Compared to the budgeted NOK 15.500 in costs, real spending amounted to NOK 8.505.
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?
Will you be returning unused funds to the Wikimedia Foundation?
- Yes, insofar as WMF does not deduct under-spending directly.
Will you be requesting an extension or were you granted an extension?
- We obtaimned an extension of the reporting deadline.
Please link to related grant proposals here: