Description of actual activities:
GLAMcamp NYC was a GLAM meeting/workshop for Wikimedians active in outreach to cultural institutions and modeled on the 2009 Multimedia Usability Project Meeting France. This targeted a small group of community-focused and technology-focused Wikimedians to kickstart the key elements of the glamwiki.org project. Also included was an outreach mini-conference on the first day.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|
- The main event organisation page is here: GLAMcamp_NYC
- The outreach miniconference organisation page is here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1637687367/
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
This event will be run again in the Netherlands in December 2011. It looks probable that this event will be repeated at 6month to 1 year intervals to keep momentum going.
- Good to have at least one on-site organiser to coordinate venue, catering, accomodation. This is in addition to one person responsible for organising schedules and scholarships.
- Instead of providing catering at the venue we provided a per-diem to all participants in cash. This allowed for more flexibility for the participants, was overall cheaper and was less bureaucracy to organise.
- Hostel accomodation arranging was the most difficult to tie-down. This led to multiple room-changes during the event. The difficulty of this was from not having a stable list of who is definitely coming and definitely not.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
See Wikimedia community reporting including:
Detail of expenditures:
Receipts and financials submitted to WMF in person the week following the event. See also Grants:WM_US-NYC/GLAMcamp#Budget_breakdown
Amount underspent in US Dollars:
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?