Grants:Project/Rapid/1lib1ref in the Philippines/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Yes. After having to move this event twice because of the pandemic, I was able to finally convince the participants and the team to do this activity online. We are able to reach a much wider audience and was able to promote both Wikipedia and Wikidata through this campaign. The online event was graced by the a few prominent people on this campaign. We are all grateful to Felix Nartey, Venus Lui, Ime Amor Mortel and Camille Francoise for helping us make this event more meaningful. The actual plan was to locally organize similar events in partnership with several institutions, however, with the advent of the pandemic, this became impossible. Organizing multiple campaigns on different institutions will be difficult since most of them don't have enough experience on adding references to an article. Conducting the online workshop seem to effectively work in training a number of interested participants from different institutions. Most of them are willing to participate again in the future campaigns.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
- The following report is a presentation of the outcome of this project on two campaigns.
May 2020 Campaign
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|10-15 librarians & 10 event organizer||5 editors, 2 experienced Wikimedian, 1 organizer||The initial plan of the program was postponed because gathering in person is not yet recommended. Invitations to possible event organizers were cancelled. An online meet-up was conducted to invite librarians for the 2020 campaign. Unfortunately, only 5 editors responded to the call.|
May 2021 Campaign
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1 offline edit-a-thon||1 online training, livestreamed via Facebook||This project was proposed before the CoViD-19 pandemic. After more than a year of waiting, physical gathering is still being limited to a certain number of individuals.|
|10-15 librarians & 10 event organizer||88 event registrations, +50 Zoom attendees, +100 online viewers||Since the event was moved online, more librarians and library enthusiast were accommodated during the training.|
|10-20 new editors||13 new editors, 5 experienced Wikimedians||Despite the large number of participants during the live session, only 18 editors were able to actually create user accounts and add reference to articles during the workshop. There is an existing range IP blocking in the Philippines that hinders users to create user accounts on their own. Assistance from the international organizers of #1Lib1Ref campaign were also received but the problem exists locally.|
|Minimum of 30-40 articles||109 articles edited, 52 references||Fifty-two references were added during the entire campaign and 109 articles were edited.|
|Geographical origins of the participants||Demographics of the participants||Selected affiliations of the participants|
|File:New University of Nueva Caceres AC Education Logo.png|
|#1Lib1Ref Campaign 2021||Campaign Opportunities in Asia||#1Lib1Ref Philippines Experience||#1Lib1Ref on Wikidata||Adding References on Wikidata|
Senior Program Officer
|Ime Amor Mortel
Director of Libraries
University of Nueva Caceres
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
#1Lib1Ref Campaign Organizer
in the Philippines
|Audience reached||Results on Outreach Dashboard|
|Audience reached via social media platform
without using a boost.
|Summary of the results of the campaign generated via|
|Results on Wikimedia Hashtags Tool||Graph of the activities|
|Summary of the results of the campaign generated
using the Wikimedia Hashtags Tool
|Graph of the activities during the entire period of the campaign|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Support from the International Team. I am very grateful to the international organizing team of this campaign. From the very beginning of the planning stage they have been extending help to ensure that the participants will have ease of access on Wikipedia during the training. They are all always available via email whenever I have some questions on how to run the event. This program will not be successful without their help.
- Support from the local volunteers. Some of the local Wikipedia volunteers here in the Philippines became part of the core organizing committee of this project. The entire virtual kick-off program has been very easy on my part because they handled most of the back-end tasks like handling queries from participants, distributing evaluation forms and moderating the people on Zoom. They have also been very good in encouraging librarians to join the program.
- Librarians from all over the Philippines. It is very unexpected that a number of librarians will be present during the program. The event was meant to invite librarians within the city and nearby municipalities. Even though we were not able able to conduct the event in-person, we were able to accommodate a wider audience via virtual platform.
- What did not work so well?
- IP Blocking. Because of the current status of IP blocking in the Philippines, some of the participants using their mobile phones were not able to contribute, some can't even create their own Wikipedia accounts. This issue has been going on for some time now especially in Tagalog Wikipedia. It is very unfortunate because majority of the participants only understands Tagalog.
- Actual Training. Although the training went very well, I can say that it is not enough for the participants. This project was supposed to be an in-person training, in which we'll have ample time to train librarians to be able to conduct their own training for the campaign in their respective libraries. But, because of the pandemic, we are forced to move the event virtually. Because of this, the training that was supposed to run for hours was compressed in a 90-minute session. I don't think this is very effective especially that the participants that were present were new to the editing platform of Wikipedia.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Training and Training Materials. I think it is best to try to develop a simple training materials for this campaign for the Philippines. It is very unlikely that a situation like this pandemic will not happen again in the future. We should be resilient by making sure that trainings done online are as effective as the trainings done offline so that whatever the situation is we can still be able to achieve our desired targets. For the Philippines, I am planning to pursue the the training of trainers for this campaign. I will try to network with libraries to teach them how to conduct this campaign in their communities.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Item Amount Quantity Total Description Venue ₱ 10,000.00 1 ₱ 10,000.00 Advance payment for the venue for reservation Office Supplies ₱ 5,000.00 1 ₱ 4,200.00 Cost of reproduction of program materials Data Expenses ₱ 1,499.00 1 ₱ 1,499.00 Data allowance of 1 volunteer Food / Drinks ₱ 799.00 1 ₱ 799.00 Food and drinks during in-person meet-up Communication Expenses ₱ 500.00 1 ₱ 500.00 Communication allowance of the organizer Travel Expenses ₱ 100.00 1 ₱ 100.00 Expenses on in-person recruitment of volunteer Total ₱ 17,098.00
Item Amount Quantity Total Description Data Expenses ₱ 1,499.00 3 ₱ 4,497.00 Data allowance of volunteers Food / Drinks ₱ 650.00 3 ₱ 1,950.00 Food and drinks during in-person meet-up Communication Expenses ₱ 500.00 1 ₱ 500.00 Communication allowance of the organizer Total ₱ 6,947.00
Item Amount Quantity Total Description Data Expenses ₱ 1,499.00 3 ₱ 4,497.00 Data allowance of volunteers Food / Drinks ₱ 3,260.00 1 ₱ 3,260.00 Meals for volunteer meet-up Communication Expenses ₱ 500.00 1 ₱ 500.00 Communication allowance of the organizer Total ₱ 8,257.00
Item Amount Quantity Total Description Data Expenses ₱ 1,499.00 3 ₱ 4,497.00 Data allowance of volunteers Food / Drinks ₱ 2,940.00 1 ₱ 2,940.00 Meals for volunteer meet-up Communication Expenses ₱ 500.00 1 ₱ 500.00 Communication allowance of the organizer Total ₱ 7,937.00
Item Amount Quantity Total Description Data Expenses ₱ 1,499.00 3 ₱ 4,497.00 Data allowance of volunteers Food / Drinks ₱ 1,790.00 1 ₱ 1,790.00 Meals for volunteer meet-up Communication Expenses ₱ 500.00 1 ₱ 500.00 Communication allowance of the organizer Travel Expenses ₱ 100.00 2 ₱ 200.00 Expenses on in-person meet-up with possible volunteers Total ₱ 6,987.00
Item Amount Quantity Total Description Data Expenses ₱ 1,499.00 4 ₱ 5,996.00 Data allowance of volunteers Food / Drinks ₱ 5,982.00 1 ₱ 5,982.00 Meals for the entire team during the virtual kick-off program Communication Expenses ₱ 500.00 3 ₱ 1,500.00 Communication allowance for the organizer and the volunteers Laptop Rental ₱ 500.00 2 ₱ 1,000.00 Rental fee of laptops used during the event (for back-up) Travel Expenses ₱ 100.00 2 ₱ 200.00 Travel expenses of the working group during the event Prize ₱ 1,500.00 1 ₱ 1,500.00 Simple token for the best contributor during the campaign Total ₱ 16,178.00
Item Amount Requested Amount Spent Description Venue ₱ 10,000.00 ₱ 10,000.00 Rental fee for the venue Office Supplies ₱ 5,000.00 ₱ 4,200.00 Cost of supplies and reproduction of materials (letters / manuals / certificates) Food / Drinks Expenses ₱ 20,000.00 ₱ 16,721.00 Food allowance of volunteers during meetings Data Connection ₱ 9,000.00 ₱ 25,483.00 Data allowance of volunteers that participated in the campaign Communication Expenses ₱ 5,000.00 ₱ 4,000.00 Communication allowance of the organizer Documentation ₱ 12,000.00 Cost of equipment rental for program documentation Travel Expenses ₱ 500.00 Travel expenses on in-person meeting with volunteers Computer rental ₱ 1,000.00 Rental fee of laptops for back-up Simple Prize ₱ 1,500.00 Cost of small reward for the best contributor Contingency ₱ 5,000.00 Total ₱ 64,000.00 ₱ 63,404.00 ₱ 596.00
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes. ₱596.00. I am planning to organize the same event for the #1Lib1Ref Campaign in 2022.
Anything else you want to share about your project?