Grants:Project/Rapid/Dagbani Wikimedians/Activating Local Language Communities/Dagbani/Bachinima/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- We exceeded our target by uploading audio recordings of more than 4020 words spoken in the Dagbani language as against our proposed 4000 words.
produces audio recordings of more than 4000 words spoken in the Dagbani language.
- We crawled the internet for Dagbani language corpora, including the dictionaries prepared by Roger Blench and Tony Naden. We extracted and dumped all the words in a spreadsheet and removed duplicates while also fixing and reformatting special Latin characters that rendered incorrectly.
- After preparing the list of words, we embarked on the tedious task of verifying their validity and spelling. With support from two volunteer language experts, we successfully weeded out all the non-Dagbani words to the best of our knowledge. This process wasn’t void of contestation, which was all but healthy. After that, we went ahead to record and upload the remaining words to the online repository.
- We recorded 4,047 words, all of which are available under CC BY-SA 4.0 attribution. The shortest and longest Dagbani words being A and Paɣiviɛligikushihikom, respectively.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants: 22||22||22 people participated in extracting dictionary words, checking the spelling, Verifying and recording Dagbani words.|
|3 virtual workshops||5||Instead of organizing 3 workshops for all participants, we decided to organize 5 separate virtual workshops for each group so participants can better understand their roles.|
|4,000 Dagbani words||4,047 Dagbani words||We exceeded our target by 47 more words.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
We discovered 2 digital dictionaries which helped us to better understand the structure of the words, their right pronunciations and how they are used.
- What did not work so well?
One of the participants mistakenly recorded over 20 words in Tamil language instead of Dagbani language, so it took us some time to rename those files. Also, the duration of the project was too short.
- What would you do differently next time?
We will increase the total number of participants so we complete the task in time.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|BUDGET FUNDS RECEIVED IN GHS||11650|
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Workshops data allowance (participants)||we organized 3 separate workshops to train participants on how to carry out various tasks||20||25||500|
|Surfline internet routers and/or data allowance||Router (and/or data allowance) for the 22 core volunteer members||500||22||11000|
|Bank charges, miscellaneous||Transfers and Reimbursement charges||n/a||n/a||150|
|Based on Oanda Exchange (1 November 2020)||Ghc||11650|
|1 USD = 5.82523 Ghc||USD||1999.92|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
No remaining funds
Anything else you want to share about your project?