Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- We met our target by translating 100 messages from the most used category on the MediaWiki from English language to Dagbani language.
- We actively translated the MediaWiki software on translatewiki.net
- We have continued to update/add new translations as and when required or necessary.
- It was so interesting seeing the interface of the various Wikipedia sister projects being switched from Englsih to Dagbani language.
- The interface changed to Dagbani language after switching.
- This makes usage of these wikis easy by people from the Dagbani language community.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants: 20||20||20 people participated in translating the the most used messages and beyond on translatewiki.net interface.|
|3 inperson workshop training||4||In all, 4 inperson workshop training were organized, 2 separate ones to teach participants how to translate messages from English to Dagbani language and other two to teach them how to translate the interface of translate.wiki. This was to make them familiar with the interface of translate.wiki|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
It was interesting and fun having to get views of participants on certain words before coming into consensus on which ones should be used.
- What did not work so well?
Getting direct translations for some words in Dagbani language was very difficult for certain. We finally resorted to transliterating instead of translating.
- What would you do differently next time?
Though we had some language experts, we will request the services of more of them to complete the task in time.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|BUDGET FUNDS RECEIVED IN GHS||11450|
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Food and Water||We had 2 inperson workshops to equip the community with the skills they will need to be able to participate in translations (10 participants at each workshop)||50||20||1000|
|Data package for internet router during offline training workshops||We had another 2 inperson training workshop to train community members on how to use translate wiki.net and core media wiki||500||2||1000|
|Internet router rental and data allowance||We rented internet routers and provided data allowance for the 20 core volunteer members.||400||20||8000|
|Covid-19 Personal Protective Equipments (PPE)||Liquid soaps, Hand sanitizers and face masks||500||n/a||500|
|Venue rental||Cost of venue to host 2 workshops||400||2||800|
|Bank charges, miscellaneous||Transfers and Reimbursement charges||n/a||n/a||150|
|Based on Oanda Exchange (February 28,2021)||Ghc||11450|
|1 USD = 5.76235 Ghc||USD||1987.04|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
No remaining funds
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Participants benefited a lot from this project for they learnt from the language experts the rules in translation and the rules that govern the spelling of Dagbani language words.
- After successfully translating the most commonly used messages on Media Wiki, we applied for the approval of the Dagbani language Wikipedia subdomain which has recently been approved by the Wikimedia language committee