Grants:Project/Rapid/Faith Mwanyolo/Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in Kenya/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We were able to gather new editors and contributors, engage some of our previous contributors, as well as foster a collaboration. We were however not pleased with the outcomes of the competition in terms of number of participants and number of submissions.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|25 participants||14 participants||The competition came at a very shaky point as a country; while we were experiencing a 2nd wave of COVID-19. We were able to engage large numbers but actualizing their participation became a challenge.|
|1000 photos||97 photos||The issue of participation greatly impacted the number of photos submitted. We were also unaware of the rules against photography in the central business district; where most monuments are located. We however secured a permit a little late into the competition.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well? We were able to get new and very interested participants. We were also able to form a collaboration with the Goethe Institut; this however happened late in the competition.
- What did not work so well? Some participants failed to upload their images. They attended the photowalks but were unable to upload their images for one reason or the other.
- What would you do differently next time? Register for competitions and apply for grants early enough to allow for adequate planning and reduce the rush for participants.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- KES 16,000= Refreshments
- KES 12,000= Camera rental
- KES 7500= Entry fees
- KES 30,000= Photography permit
- KES 29,200= Transport
- KES 57,840= Awards & Gifts for judges
- KES 8,000= Data
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Remaining fund= KES 2,830
We would like to use the remaining funds on Wiki Loves Africa of which we have a pending grant request: 
Anything else you want to share about your project?