Grants:Project/Rapid/Kamal Osama/Wiki Loves Earth 2017 Egypt/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Overall, we are happy with the project. Many new users have joined, contributed to Wiki projects and uploaded photos more than expected. We had organized some trips to the protectorates in El-Fayoum. We see that the contest has met our goals at the end for covering many protectorates and national parks in Egypt.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|+1000 photos||1378 photo||We announced about the contest on the main page of Arabic Wikipedia and created a page on Facebook . That made a significant change on the number participants and up-loaders. Check Photos here|
|Recruitment +25 new users to create accounts on wikmedia projects||126 new user Uploaders registered after competition start||Total users particpants were 150; 126 new user have uploaded on Wikimedia commons, 12 users have used photos on wikimedia projects..Check participants here|
|Increasing skills for editing for the new users by wiki commons and Wikipedia.||some participants have joined the workshop held in May 19 and learned new skills on Wiki projects||some participants have joined the workshop held in May 19 and learned new skills on Wiki projects|
|+3 Featured photos, quality and valued images nominated on Wikimedia commons||3 photos have been asked for nomination but still didn't yet.||The voting priod was over with few positive voting. (here، &here، &here).. We are trying for re-voting. Also, there is 5 photos asked for nomination on Arabic Wikipedia but still on voting period. Here, Here,Here,Here,Here|
|+150 photos used on wikipedia articles||40% of photos have been used in wiki projects so far..||Check the contest Statistics|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
There are some points that really helped in making the success of the contest:
- The advertising campaign for the contest (online and offline) was efficient in reaching new users.
- The trip for some protectorates in El-Fayoum was exciting for many users and made them eager to join Wiki projects.
- What did not work so well?
- Our trip to El-Fayoum has one issue to mention, One visit out of five in El-Fayoum was hard to do because we need a security permission.
- This contest was recorded at level fifteen among the participating countries. We are not satisfied as a team and eager to participate more effectively next times..
- What would you do differently next time?
- The trip program/schedule should have considered "time". Some photographers who joined our trip were asking about visiting some places in a certain time for having excellent shots. So, It's difficult to organize it for a one-day trip. We should have organized the trip for two or three days at least for covering many protectorates with good outcomes. We, as organizers, will do it differently next times!
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Sl. No.||Expenditure Item||Approved Budget (May 1 2017 to May 31, 2017) Rs.||Actual Expenses Rs.||Variance (+)Balance Left (-)Excess Spent|
|1||Advertising- Poster & online ads.||900 EGP (50 USD)||915 EGP||-15 EGP (0.83 USD)|
|2||Prizes for winners||9450 EGP (525 USD)||9450 EGP||0|
|3||Photo books & gift packages||9450 EGP (525 USD)||9608 EGP (533.78 USD)||-158 EGP (-8.77 USD)|
|4||Regular meetups||2700 EGP (150 USD)||2407.57 EGP (174.44 USD)||292.43 EGP, +(16.246 USD)|
|5||Transportation & Trip fees||3600 EGP (200 USD)||4320 EGP (240 USD)||-720 EGP (40 USD)|
|6||Equipment||2700 EGP (150 USD)||1410 EGP||+1290 EGP|
|Total||28800||28110.57||689.43 EGP (38.30 USD)|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 28800 EGP (US$ ~1600 )
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 28800 EGP (US$ ~ 1600)
- Total amount spent on this project
- 28110.57 EGP (US$ ~ 1561.69 )
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 28110.57 EGP (US$ ~ 1561.69)
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
Do you have any remaining grant funds? YES The remaining money will be back to the foundation or transferred to Wikimedia Egypt to support its activities and the Wikimedia movement in Egypt.
Anything else you want to share about your project?