Grants:Project/Rapid/Modjou/African Summit Edit-a-thon/Report
|Proposed Goals||Achieved Goals|
|Recruit new editors||8 new accounts were created on Wikipedia. So we have 8 new editors added to the big family of Wikipedia .|
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achied outcome||Explanation|
|Number of workshops at the summit:||3||During the three days of the summit, I hosted the Wikipedia workshop in French.|
|Number of of articles created or improved: 10||12||12 articles were improved during the workshop on French Wikipedia .|
|Introduce dozen participants to Wikipedia and train them on how to edit Wikipedia||+ 12||A dozen participants were able to be trained during the three days of the summit at the French Wikipedia workshop on the founding principles of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia community .|
What worked well?
- Wikipedia workshop in French and English: During the three days of the summit we were separated into two different rooms for the Wikipedia workshops. The first room was for anglophones and the second for francophones. This distribution allowed first to reach a larger public because all women who did not speak English well but wanted to participate in a Wikipedia workshop, could go to the French Wikipedia workshop and participate more easily.
- The Wikipedia workshop sessions during the three days of the summit: Doing workshops on Wikipedia during the three days of the summit was very beneficial for all summit participants who wanted to attend one of Wikipedia's workshops. Indeed, whoever could not participate in the workshop the day before could participate in the workshop the next day.
- The number of participants the last day: the participants in the wiki workshop in the last day were not more than 8 women. It was an advantage for me because being the only trainer of the workshop on French Wikipedia, I was able to allow everyone to ask questions, track their contributions and create their accounts.
What did not work so well?
- The time: I had a maximum of 2 hours during the first two days and 4 hours on the last day for the Wikipedia Workshops. The two hours of the first two days were insufficient to present the Wikimedia movement and Wikipedia encyclopedia. Once my presentation is over, I should be able to create their accounts and help them edit the articles. which was not possible considering the time already finished.
- The internet connection: The Internet connection was too slow to allow everyone to quickly connect to the Internet.
- Account creation: Since we all shared the same Internet connection with the same IP address, it was therefore impossible for participants to create their Wikipedia account. Therefore I created the accounts of each one thanks to User:African Hope, a volunteer with Account Creator rights. This annoyance has wasted a lot of time.
- The four (4) hours of the last day: The organizers of the summit gave me 4 hours on the last days to allow me to go deeper for the first two days. This was good news for me, but it did not last long because after just two hours, participants left the workshop to go to town to shop before leaving the next day in their respective countries.
What would you do differently next time?
If I have the same time at the next summit, I will focus more on the Wikipedia encyclopedia and these founding principles and I quickly cover the Wikimedia movement to gain more time.
Other things to Add
- I did not encounter any linguistic difficulties to follow the summit. Because we had at our disposal intercoms that allowed us to listen to all speakers. It was enough just to put the frequency of the language or I felt most at ease (Frequency 1 = English and 2 = French).
- I would like to say two big thanks to the organizers of the summit (Web Foundation) for the organization and the trust they had in me to entrust me with the french Wikipedia workshop. Two big thanks also to Wikimedia Foundation for financing my trip.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Expense||Amount (USD)||Actual Expenditure (USD)||Notes|
|Travel (plane ticket)||$362||$ 400.734||the increase, is due to the late purchase of the airline ticket.|
|Accommodation in Accra for 4days.||$940||$ 940|
|Per diem (foodl for 4days and transport).||$343||$ 332.868||I ate less than expected|
|Total||$1 645||$ 1673.602||It’s the total amount in Dollar.|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?