- 1 Goals
- 2 Outcome
- 3 Learning
- 4 Finances
- 5 Anything else
- 6 References
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
|Proposed Goals||Achieved Goals|
|Increase skills for existing editors||Until recently, most of our community's contributors used to only edit Wikipedia, with few of them editing Meta-wiki.
Through the Wiktionary project, members of our community could learn how to contribute to another WMF project.
|Create more content in our local languages.||More than 100 Articles were improved or created on Wiktionary project in Baoulé, a local languages from my country.|
|Initiate a pilot project and draw lessons for the future.||The pilot project was initiated and many lessons were learned for further replication.|
Please report on your original project targets.
|target outcome||achieved outcome
|Number of events : 3||3|
|Number of participants : 15||15|
|Number of articles created or improved : 100||more of 150|
|Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) : 10||Number of repeat participants : 11|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
- A form was created and made accessible. Every individual interested in participating in this project could register for free. After the registration were closed, I selected some candidates based on the answers they provided and their motivation. This tactic helped me select participants who would attend edit-a-thons regularly.
- Most of the participants already knew how to edit articles on Wikipedia. Their being familiar with the encyclopedia made it easier for them to learn Wikitionary editing.
- Among all participants, six (6) are fluent in Baoulé. This advantage made it possible to work in pairs. Therefore, all participants, Baoulé speakers or not, felt comfortable during sessions.
Schedule and prize-awarding
- Edit-a-thons happened during working days, starting at 6:30 PM. This schedule was chosen to suit participants schedules (work, studies, etc). I named these sessions Wiktionary evenings .
- On the first evening, forty articles were created/improved on Wiktionary and during the second one, around sixty. By working in pairs, the work moved on and was completed faster.
- Since all participants worked well, I thought it would be suitable to reward them all instead of giving prizes only to the top contributors, as originally planned. This decision pleased all participants.
- On the third Wiktionary evenings, a brainstorming was organized, focusing on the future of Wiktionary project in Côte d'Ivoire. For participants, the purpose of this workshop was to reflect upon possible upcoming actions and activities. During the workshop, I could gather many valuable ideas for carrying this project on.
What did not work so well?
The weather :
- The Wiktionary project was run during a short rainy season. I did not anticipate that. Due to the rain, some participants could not attend some of the Wiktionary evenings.
What would you do differently next time?
- I will be more mindful of the weather
- I will plan prizes for all participants, not only for some of them.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Expense type||Total (XOF)||Total ( USD)||Actual Expenditure (USD)||Notes|
|Communication - Marketing|
|Tee-shirts staff and lot de participation||75 000||140.46||252.83||I rewarded all participants, not only the top contributors, as originally planned. However, this costed more.|
|Printed documents set||45 000||84.26||112.37||The original printer could not make himself available. I chose another one, but he has more expensive prices.|
|Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination|
|Telephone credit for coordination||20 000||37.46||37.46|
|Transport allowance||195 000||365.18||252.83||Fewer than the original amount since some participants could not attend due to the rain.|
|Transport allowance for trainers||60 000||112.37||112.37|
|Transport allowance for coordination||45 000||84.26||84.26|
|Transport allowance for photographer||30 000||56.19||56.19|
|Internet connexion||280 000||524.36||524.36|
|TOTAL||1 994,43||2 022.58||I compensated this difference|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
As per the actual spending outlined above we exceeded our original budget by $ 28.15 which was caused by printed documents set and gifts of participation. This amount has been absorbed by me.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
The project was truly successful in our opinion.