Grants:Project/Rapid/Musa Vacho77/Commons Wikimedia Workshop/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Well, All Thanks to God, And All Thanks to Wikimedia Foundation for giving us this opportunity.
This particular project broaden my harizon. We gain alot of experience, alot of changes and alot of progress.
I've learn alot, more especially in the area of tracking participants contributions and also interms of project impact to the community. All thanks to grant fund team.
I can say by this project I come to learn a large volume of things.
And I also like to acknowledge the presence of the Grant Fund Team, I really like to thank the team for their effort and the work they do. We really learn alot of things fast with the help of the team. It's been great working with you. You always there to give us support. It's an honor
I'm really happy personally and excited about this project. Well you know by this projects I get to learn and add even worldly experience. All thanks to Wikimedia Foundation.
And I can confidently say yes, we meet all our Target and this time I'm really sure. And I'm happy.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|10||15||we plan to register 10 new editors but with the will of God we were able to register more than 15 people and it's Very exciting. And the most exciting of it all is some of them are still with us. Still editing with the help of our social media group that we keep them engaged on.|
|200||260||we plan to teach our inexperienced editors how to upload files, how to upload it and what to upload. We are excited to say we successful do that. We create a category were the participants used to upload pictures in other to keep the record and track of their contributions. The participants uploaded more than 100 pictures and I also shared more than 100 pictures of the event. The participants uploaded pictures of Nigeria local cuisine which include food, fruit and vegetables In Nigeria and it's neighboring countries and the world at Large.
Here is the link to the category. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nigerian_Local_Cuisine
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Well a number of things work well.
.we were able to teach the participants and show them vividly how to upload files in Commons wiki. And we makes sure majority of them did it practical.
And we are also happy that they keep editing and they keep uploading the files. If you look at the dates the pictures were been uploaded in the category, you will understand that even after the event some of the participants keep uploading some files thats very exciting.
The goal is to keep them editing forever that's why after the events we keep them in contacts and that's really help in motivating them and keep them editing.
- We were able to teach them on what to upload i.e their own work, or something that's in public domain or something that's being given free license.
We emphasize and make sure we make it very clear to them about what were expected from them to upload. We explained to them about the consequences of uploading someone's work.
- We also at the event talked about copyright In other for the new editors to know that it's not everything they see that they will just uploaded. We explained extensively to them that it's better if you are not sure about a file to leave it than to upload it without certainty.
The participants were able to upload more than 100 pictures.
- More than 35 participants participate in the project contributions. Meaning more than 35 participants uploaded photos during the lifetime of the project. And we know and tract this number with the help the category we created and you can check and confirm by checking the number of editors that contribute in the category. And we create this category purposely for this project. Nigerian Local Cuisine. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nigerian_Local_Cuisine
- And some of the pictures are already being used most especially in Hausa Wikipedia, articles.
- What did not work so well?
Well somethings did not work well.
.First of all let me start with Igabi LG this is were we encounter some challenges.
We are still having difficulties with Hall arrangements at the LG. This is because even though Igabi is within Kaduna but is kind of left behind interns of development, they don't have advance hall with equipment to use. No laptos, no projector.
We have to make an arrangement for projector and some laptops we can arrange for them for the project.
And Igabi is the most populous LG in the whole Kaduna state. They have the highest number of people in the states. That's why we like to keep them engaged. Fo the advantage they have. This is because if Wikipedia becomes known at the local government, alot of people will be contributing to the movement.
- We also faced some Network problem in some areas more especially Igabi And Kaduna South. That's why some of the participants did not upload photos instantly.
But what we planned because of its important is now when we are carrying out project each and every participants that attend the event most contribute to the ongoing project.
But we have huge Netwok problem, because Kaduna state government within that period they announced some changes with Network due to security challenges then. But things are getting better now.
We also have problem with Light, that we have to arrange for generator in some events. It's also part of the challenges we faced.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Nigerian people on 16th October, 2021. Did a street campaign about Cancer. It's a walk with fliers, banners, Music and entertainment on the streets of Abuja the capital of Nigeria to educate people on Cancer. More especially women with emphasis on Breast cancer.
Alot of program have taken places, questions and answers at the campaign.
So I understand that alot of our people does not understand cancer and some are not even aware of it.
So I will like to use Wikipedia articles to create online awareness and campaigns on cancer. That will educate Hausa community and bring readership to the Wikipedia.
Secondly, I will like to educate Hausa community on Harassment in the community and ways to necessary report it. And the help you can get.
I will like to bring the experience editors to the project. So that they can deliver lecture to the entire editors that attend the event.
These are the 2 project I will like to do next.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- We proposed 300 USD For Data.
- We Spend 350 USD For Data
- We Propose 280 USD for Transportation
- We spend 330 USD For Transportation.
- We Propose 250 For Computer rentel and projector
- We spend 200 USD For Computer rentel and projector
- We Propose 500 USD for Hall.
- We spend 450 USD For Hall
- We Propose 290 USD for Refreshment
- We spend 390 For Refreshment.
- We Propose 160 USD for Communication
- We spend 100 USD For Communication.
- We Propose 200 USDfor Sanitizer
- We spend 160 USD For Sanitizer.
- Total 1980 USD
Note: As we discussed, having receipts in Nigeria is somehow difficult in most cases. But I want to used this opportunity to tell you that I keep all my expenses log. And it's available to share, any time you need it.
Do you have any remaining grant funds? No
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Here is the link to some of the project photos and images taken at the events.