Grants:Project/Rapid/Oby Ezeilo/Igbo Wiktionary edit a thon with secondary school teachers in Abuja/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Yes I met my goals. I hosted 4 edit-a thon and had a mix of new and old editors. We also created more than 50 words.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Proposed 4 events.||4|
|Number of Participants 30||43||Total number of editors for the 4 events|
|Number of new editors 12||25||Number of people that participated in a Wiki project for the first time ever.|
|Number of words created or edited 50||87||We exceeded our target.|
|Number of repeat participants 15||22||total number of editors that participated more than once.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Getting new editors for Wikimedia who are still editing the Igbo Wiktionary even after the project.
Forming a whatsappp group where we discuss other wiki projects
- What did not work so well?
it took a lot of time explaining what Wikimedia is all about ,especially to new editors who have never heard about Wikimedia. On our second meet up, most of them forgot their username and some forgot what was learnt in the first meet up. I had to start all over with the help of old editors that i had pre training with. However by the time they all got use to the editing technique, school resumed and as teachers they had to go back to their different duty posts. I also formed a whatsapp group where we address each other by our usernames.
- What would you do differently next time?
Documenting their usernames.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Venue = $220 x 4 events = $880
- Food and drinks = $200 x 4 events = $800
- Internet access: $48 x 4 events = $192
- purchase of stationary = $100
Total = 1,972 USD
Do you have any remaining grant funds? No
Anything else you want to share about your project? I had the challenge of tracing words created during the exercise especially in the month of June and July. Unfortunately i did not write out the words as i use to do before. I tried to find the words in recent changes but it shows words created within the last 30 days and not beyond.
I also want to mention that on the first page of the Igbo Wiktionary where you have odide ọhụụ (new word creation) there are no special characters for editor to use. This creates a work load for the Admin who either moves, delete or redirect a page because of omission of the special characters.
Here is the link for the Project: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Oby_Ezeilo/Igbo_Wiktionary_edit_a_thon_with_secondary_school_teachers_in_Abuja.