Grants:Project/Rapid/Prabhune rajendra/San Francisco - Radio Interview & Presentation/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- a) My Radio Interview at 'Soft Biz' program at KZSU Stanford 90.1 FM, (Stanford University Radio station, San Francisco.) was Recorded on 21 Apr 2018, from 10:10 AM to 11:30 AM.
- It was Broadcasted on 25 July 2018, at 11 AM US California Time, for Listeners of Stanford University Radio: Students and people in and around university campus
- After broadcasting on 25th July 2018, it was publicly published and shared in Social Media
- b) My Presentation at iGurukul foundation, an Indian (mainly Oriya) organization in Bay Area, San Francisco was on the Subject: ‘Why One Should Contribute in Regional Wikipedia.’ was on 12 May 2018, from 06:00 PM to 07:00 PM. It was well appreciated by the audience of Students and Members of iGurukul Foundation.
- c) In addition I had an opportunity to meet and informally interact with people of many Indian regional groups and organizations in San Francisco Bay Area and Tampa, Florida. During these meetings I was able to create awareness and interest about Wikimedia Projects and emphasize the need to contribute, mainly in Regional language Wikimedia Projects.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects||Achieved.||1. The exact number of listeners of the Radio program in not known. But it must be a large number because it is a popular program on popular radio channel.
2. The recording was shared extensively on many social media with good response 3. There were prolonged question and answer sessions before the interview with the compere of 'Soft-biz' program and after the presentation at iGurukul foundation. 4. Overall, the audience was very much interested in the topic and had many doubts and questions, which I tried to answer to the best of my knowledge. 5. In addition to the above programs I talked extensively about Wikipedia with people from many other groups mainly from Maharashtrian communities in San Francisco bay area and Tampa, Florida.
|Recruit new editors||Not Achieved.||To increase the awareness about Wikimedia projects was my main purpose. That was achieved and I had good feedback, mainly in the form of increased awareness, clear concepts about Wikimedia and expectations from editors and expressed interest to contribute as an editor.
But I could not recruit new editors at this stage. That and to organize contributory workshops will be the next step.
|Encourage new editors to contribute mainly in Regional Wikimedia projects||Achieved.||I had extensive discussions before and after the radio recording, the presentation at iGurukul and with Maharashtrian and other groups and communities in San Francisco and Tampa.
The audience of the presentation and people of various groups (with whom I had discussions) .
|Encourage new editors to do correctional, complementary and small contributory edits||Partly Achieved.||Potential new editors were motivated to do correctional, complementary and small contributory edits because they became aware that this type of editing is also as important as contribution of a full article.
During my next visits, with more thorough planning,
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- 1. Overall response and enthusiasm were very good.
- 2. The goal of creating interest and motivating people of various Indian Regional Groups to contribute in Wiki Media projects was fulfilled.
- 3. I was able to answer and clarify most of the questions and doubts regarding Wikipedia.
- 4. The people I met and communicated with were from various regional and Professional backgrounds and were well-established. That is why, they were best suited to participate in any Social activity with Intellectual Contribution like Wiki Media Projects.
- What did not work so well?
- 1. Radio is a very good platform for Outreach program. It potentially reaches a very large population. The 'Soft biz' program seems to be fairly popular.
- 2. But I am unable to know the exact number of people who listened to it.
- 3. I also cannot be certain (from the 'likes') about how many actually listened to the Audio recording which we shared on social media.
- 4. I cannot get actual feedback from the listeners of Radio Program. So the chances of recruiting actual new editors seems to be nil.
- What would you do differently next time?
- 1. I felt the need for more such Introductory Presentations and Workshops. There appears to be a lack of awareness that they also can contribute and edit. And there are many misconceptions and doubts. This became apparent from the questions asked in the interview and during discussions after my presentation.
- 2. After this, I will organize Participatory workshops on "How to contribute".
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|No.||Head||Particulars||Vehicle||INR||Approx USD (1)||USD|
|1||Travel||Wai - Pune - Wai||Car: 50.2 X 2 = 100.4 Miles||100.4 X 0.545(2)||54.72|
|2||Travel||Pune - Mumbai - Pune||Taxi||4900||72.04||72.04|
|3||Travel||Mumbai - San Francisco - Tampa - Mumbai||Air Fare||71230||1047.5||1047.5|
|4||Travel||San Francisco Airport - San Jose residence - San Francisco Airport||Car: 41 X 2 = 82 Miles||82 X 0.545||44.69|
|5||Travel||San Jose – Stanford University – San Jose||Car: 25 X 2 = 50 Miles||50 X 0.545||27.25|
|6||Travel||San Jose – iGurukul Foundation, Fremont – San Jose||Car: 26 X 2 = 52 Miles||52 X 0.545||28.34|
|7||Venue||Studio at Radio Station Stanford||0|
|8||Venue||Hall at iGurukul Foundation, Fremont||0|
|9||LCD Projector||By iGurukul Foundation||0|
|10||Refreshments||By iGurukul Foundation||0|
- (68 INR=1USD)
- Mileage reimbursement rate: 0.545 USD/Mile, as per IRS Standard Mileage rate
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?