Overall, although with some difficulties, we were safe to say that we were happy about this organisation. This is the first time WikiKata was held and we have positive outlooks regarding this event's viability.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|50 lemmas expected to be created||1,152 lemmas had been created||Outcome able to surpass far above the initial target. Some participants were able to contribute dozens or hundreds of lemmas, which contribute to the high amount of lemmas.|
|6 languages included||8 languages included||Outcome able to surpass above the initial target.|
|10 people participate in this event||11 people participated in this event||Outcome able to surpass initial target slightly.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
The juries were very co-operative with our behalf throughout the event. The juries were picked by Tofeiku based on their experiences related to Malaysia's indigenous languages. They were able to understand our missions, the marking system and we were also able to discuss about potential future projects related to Malaysia's indigenous languages.
Meanwhile, the participants were able to contribute very well within our event, amassing over a thousand lemmas, far surpassing our initial target of only 50 lemmas although with a relatively small amount of participants.
- What did not work so well?
Initially, promotions for this event were unable to attract an adequate amount of participants. This can be explained by our limitations within our promotions and limited Internet access by indigenous Malaysians (especially at West Malaysia) in general. This forced our behalf to delayed the final date of WikiKata till the 15th of August to allow more participants. However, the event's activity picked up when WikiKata was promoted through the Malay Wikipedia
Furthermore, the initial marking system was complained as too complex by our juries, stating that the participants invited by them were not able to understood the system. Because of this, our behalf had simplified the marking system, making it easier for participants to obtain marks within the event.
- What would you do differently next time?
For future organisations, we would like to enhance our promotions online and offline to recruit more participants from more language backgrounds to build a more complete repository of lemmas. Our marking system will be simplified to ensure the ease of our participants.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Judges plaque: MYR45 x 3 = MYR135
- Plaque shipping: Total MYR33.40
- Lazada giftcards for 1st-3rd place: MYR500 + MYR300 + MYR100 = MYR900
- 1st-2nd place Wikipedia store prize including shipping: USD47.99/MYR207.40 (Wikipedia Tote Bags - Grey: Qty 1) + USD37.99/MYR164.18 (Wikipedia language water bottle - Blue: Qty 1) = USD85.98/MYR371.58
- 4th-10th place consolation prize (Wikipedia notebook) including shipping: USD21.54/MYR93.12 (shipping to Scotland) + USD21.73/MYR93.91 x 4 (shipping to Malaysia: bought 12 September 2020) + USD21.73/MYR93.93 x 1 (shipping to Malaysia: bought 30 September 2020) = USD130.19/MYR562.69
- Judges/partners appreciation for support and promotion: 1 x MYR165 (dictionary made by one of the partners) = MYR165
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- Grants received: MYR2,346.21
- Grants spent: MYR2,167.67
- Grants left: MYR178.54 (USD42.8872 as of 30 September 2020 https://www.oanda.com)
1 consolation winner is uncontactable other than their user talk page. Due to that, the winner did not get their prize and the funds for the prize would be return back to WMF.
I will return this unspend grant.
Anything else you want to share about your project? Even with this competition being the first of its kind to be organised, it attracted a lot of attention and the number of edits in Malay Wiktionary did increase. I hope that this competition will be held next year with a more well-organised team and coordination. This competition could be made internationally like Wiki Loves Monuments.