Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors among Malaysians
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve indigenous language lemmas in Wiktionary
- Introduce local community to available resources from WMF
- Create awareness on the important of indigenous languages among Wikimedia project volunteers in Malaysia and the local community
- Introducing Wikimedia projects as a medium to document their languages and cultures among indigenous people of Malaysia
- Recruit many indigenous speakers of Malaysia to contribute to Wikimedia projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- One online editathon where participants add and improve lemmas in Wiktionary about their indigenous language found in Malaysia. Due to the ongoing pandemic, there will be no offline preparations and activities for this event and all of these will be made online.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The most important way to advertise the contest will be central notice banner in Malay Wikipedia.
- Posting announcements in local language and culture related forums and sites.
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date
- Collaboration with other non-governmental organisations that have non-profit status like Kadazandusun Language Foundation (KLF) and Sama Bajau Language & Culture Association (BSBB), etc
- Communication through our social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook) which have limited reach.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes. It will lead by me (Tofeiku) and PeaceSearcher who are Malay Wiktionarians.
- Tofeiku: Organizer of Malay Wikipedia Asian Month, Malay Wikipedia admin and of Sabah indigenous Sama Bajau descent.
- PeaceSearcher: Malay Wiktionarian and last year Malay Wikipedia Asian Month organizer.
- NikoUMS: Malay Wikipedia editor and of Sabah indigenous Dusun descent.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- They only need to know the basics of editing in Wiktionary. We will show the format for them to follow and provide a template for them to fill in.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will keep them in contact and encourage them to continue document their indigenous language. We will also invite them to join other activities organised by WCUGMY. Furthermore, we will cooperate with the participants for the development of new Wikipedia versions in Malaysia's indigenous languages through Wikimedia Incubator. Expanding the two existing indigenous language Wikipedia in Wikimedia Incubator ie. Kadazandusun and Iban. Also, creating new incubators for other indigenous languages.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- WikiKata aims to digitize the indigenous languages found in Malaysia which lack documentation online. Encouraging the language to revitalise and establishing wide Internet presence of the language. We are hoping with the funds by WMF could encourage more indigenous people to edit in Wikimedia projects. The prizes aim to attract more people to edit especially among the youths. We are hoping that from this event, we could identify more indigenous editors to contribute to Wikimedia projects and develop their indigenous language through Wikimedia projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of participants: 10 and more
- Number of new editors: 5 and more
- Number of of Wiktionary lemmas created or improved: 50 and more
- Number of indigenous languages added: 6 and more
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources
- Members of UG MYS
- Individual Wikimedians
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 4.33 MYR as of 10 May 2020 https://www.oanda.com
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Total (MYR)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Prizes||10||MYR 1315.74||USD 303.82||1st prize: MYR500 gift card and Wikipedia Tote Bags (USD 25), 2nd prize: MYR300 gift card and Wikipedia language water bottle (USD 15), 3rd prize: MYR100 gift card, 4th - 10th prize: Wikipedia notebooks from Wikipedia Store (USD 8 each)|
|2||Fees, delivery, etc||15||MYR 715.34||USD 165.18||Postage fee and payments to the shipping agents for deliveries (prizes and other). USD 13.73 - 22.99 shipping for each Wikipedia Store item to Malaysia.|
|3||Gifts for NGO (presented by juries) involves||5||MYR 200||USD 46.18||Plaque of appreciations will be given to NGOs that joined as jury of this contest (MYR 40 each).|
|4||Social media promotions||N/A||MYR 216.53||USD 50||The fund will be use to pay ads in social media such as Instagram and Facebook|
|Total: MYR 2447.61 (USD 565.18)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!