Grants:Project/Rapid/WCUGA/Wiki Weekend Tirana 2018/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:Project/Rapid/WCUGA/Wiki Weekend Tirana 2018.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email rapidgrants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The event started with a welcome note by the organizers to continue afterwards with various presentations and edit-a-thons. Saturday mostly included introductory sessions to the Wikimedia project and Wikidata, so that people who were new editors and wanted to get involved, had the chance to learn how to do so. During the rest of the day was filled with hands-on session with organizers and volunteers leading editing sessions, different teams worked on improving or creating various articles related to GLAM. The list of these articles created or improved mostly by participants of this activity, can be found here: https://sq.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategoria:Wiki_Weekend_Tirana_2018
We had the pleasure to have the Director of the National Film center at this event with whom the WCUGA have planned further collaborations in the future in order to improve the information in SQ Wikipedia regarding the Albanian cinematography and movies produced after the 90s. Wikidata as a project was also on the focus of our meeting with the director with the goal of adding information about films produced by the National Film Center there.
The second day of Wiki Weekend Tirana 2018 was dedicated to the WCUGA meetup, where members of the UserGroup gathered to plan the next activities for year 2019. One of the most important highlights of this meeting is the fact that the UG will continue its collaboration with the National Film center by signing a memorandum of understanding with this institution, aiming to improve the documentation on the movies produced in Albania after the 90s. The discussion and plans made during this meeting can be found here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Community_User_Group_Albania/December_Meetup_2018.
Here you can check on some moments during the sessions of this event: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_Weekend_Tirana_2018
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of total participants: 55||20||This year, in the same day with Wiki Weekend major protest from students in Tirana happened, which definitely influenced the number of participants in the activity. This was the largest protest of the last decades in the country (more information you can find here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_student_protest_in_Albania) and was something unpredictable resulting in lack of attendees. However, since there weren't a lot of new people participating that needed to be mentored, we had the opportunity to work on creating articles related to Albanian movies in a more focused way.|
|Number of people who will help organize the event: 6||6||All the members of the organizing team.|
|Number of articles created or improved: 0||95||We didn't had any target on creating articles but since we didn't had the number of participants we were expecting then we thought to work on creating articles.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Since we had less participants than expected we spend more time on mentoring new contributors. This was really productive in terms of creating and improving articles.
- What did not work so well?
Participation was low due to the unpredictable student protest, which affected the participation.
- What would you do differently next time?
Maybe it would be wiser to change the dates of the events when unprecedented situations happen.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Venue renting for 3 days (main conference and reception): 193EUR
- Documentation(professional photos and editing): 221 EUR
- Design for visual ID of the event, posters, banners etc: 0EUR (one of our friends did the Visual ID pro bono)
- Printings for promo materials (roll up banners, posters, lanyards, stickers): 213.4 EUR
- Catering (two days of the event and reception event):210.6EUR
- Administration (finance officer & bank transactions costs):40.6EUR
- Transportation costs inside the city (estimation based on previous activities): 6EUR
- Travel and accommodation (for participants and volunteers outside Tirana):4.9EUR
Do you have any remaining grant funds? Yes, we have remaining 473.34 EUR.
Yes, we want to use on the other grants as a user group we have asked for in order to avoid the bank fee on returning back the money, if this is possible.
Anything else you want to share about your project?