The project was successful even with the fixed time lines we were able to carry out photo hunts with experienced photographers. In turn we obtained quality photographs locally that were forwarded to the international competition.The Uganda Wikimedia user group saw some new contributors.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Due to limitation of time we were not able to access some areas in Uganda .
|500 photos uploaded
|Due to internet speed and time limitation over 100 photos were not uploaded.
|50 photos used on Wikimedia projects
|50 articles created or improved
What worked well?
- We managed to hold 1 photo walk in the central region collecting photos of monuments within reach. This was merged with the official opening of the competition in Uganda.
- We also had 1 photo hunt to the Western region of Uganda where one team member took up the task of taking photos of monuments within 3 days.
- We got 17 participants to the competition who managed to upload 144 photos to the competition.
- Uganda Museum came on board to support project activities which included hosting the opening and closing event. It also shared this opportunity to its staff members to participate.
What did not work so well?
- There are a number of monuments that people are not even aware of both in location and importance to society (history behind them). The majority of the monuments in Uganda are not documented on any open source platforms or websites therefore accessing credible information about a particular monument is quite a challenge.
- Also a number of monuments are not being taken care of which poses a threat of not having them around in some years to come. We need to plan ahead of time to reach out to people with authority over these monuments to freely share information about them. As national organizers we need to add experienced writers to write articles on these monuments as we keep on hunting for them.
What would you do differently next time?
None of the photos taken in the Western region were entered into the competition as the time period was short plus the internet connection in the Western region was not good enough for photo uploading. In addition ,we only funds 3 days to the end of the competition.
Grant funds spent
|TOTAL AMOUNT (UGX)
|2 events to introduce to target new contributors
|Public transport to 2 upcountry locations to hold events
|Hotel accommodation for 4 people travelling to Western and Northern Region
|Snacks and drinks for participants during introduction and upload events
|Marketing materials (posters, fliers, social media)
|Internet data at the 3 events
|Best 3 photos
|Prizes for the three best photos
|Best 3 articles
|Prizes for three best articles
All funds were cleared as budgeted for.