Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Monuments Uganda 2017
- To collect quality pictures on Uganda's cultural heritage monuments
- To recruit new contributors to Wikimedia
- To engage existing Wikimedia contributors
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- We will focus on collecting quality pictures on Uganda's cultural heritage monuments through mobilizing people to participate in Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Uganda. This competition is important to our community because very few of Uganda's monuments have pictures on them in Wikimedia. The competition will be an opportunity to encourage people to seek these monuments and write about them.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will organize two public events where people will be introduced to Wikimedia and Wikipedia and how they can contribute. We will also send emails about the contest to our mailing list which includes anyone who has attended any of our events in the past. We will also use social media like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and Twitter to encourage people to participate
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A local jury or three judges made will be selected and will choose the 10 best photos from Uganda which will be forwarded to the international Wiki Loves Monuments competition. The best three photos from Uganda will each win a prize.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- A list of Uganda's cultural heritage monuments will be obtained from the Uganda National Museum and provided to the contestants. In that case it will be easy for the participants to know which monuments to collect images on
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- There will also be a category for editors, the person who creates the best article on Wikipedia on any of the monuments will also win a prize. This will improve on usage of the images uploaded during the competition.
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of articles created or improved: 50
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia: 500
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Geoffrey Kateregga: Contest organizer, will create list of monuments, create competition landing page, answer questions on email and contest talk page
- Steven Bukulu: Contest organizer, will create social media sites, contest promotion
- Erina Mukuta: Contest organizer, will create jury, purchase prizes
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Items||Description||Quantity||Unit Price ($)||Total ($)|
|Venue||2 events to introduce to target new contributors||2||60||120|
|Transport||Public transport to 2 upcountry locations to hold events||4||30||120|
|Accommodation||Hotel accommodation for 2 people travelling to Western and Northern Region||4||30||120|
|Food||Snacks and drinks for participants during introduction and upload events||2||60||120|
|Communications outreach||Marketing materials (posters, fliers, social media)||1||100||100|
|Internet data||Internet data at the 2 events||2||60||120|
|Best 3 photos||Prizes for the three best photos||3||100||300|
|Best 3 articles||Prizes for three best articles||3||100||300|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Uganda has a lot of undocumented monuments and this would be a great way to make them visible to the world Erinamukuta (talk) 09:32, 26 August 2017 (UTC)
- Very crucial to the future activities by the members Planning Wikipedia User Group Uganda Douglaseru (talk) 19:38, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- Uganda's monuments lack publicity ,we hope this exercise here will help show them as well as promote responsible documentation... AKibombo (talk) 15:17, 30 August 2017 (UTC)
- Uganda is referred to as the "Pearl of Africa", WLM is one of the best ways to tell its story to the rest of the world with its unique monuments and why it's the Pearl of Africa.Steven (talk) 23:42, 31 August 2017 (UTC)
- Its great to know that this is happening Uganda and happy to see a community grown there Flixtey (talk) 02:25, 9 September 2017 (UTC)