Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédiens du Benin/Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin/Report
- 1 Goals
- 2 Activities
- 2.1 Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin- Outreach Events
- 2.2 WLE2019:Exposure of Finalist Images
- 2.3 WLE 2019 Benin Felicitation and award ceremony in Abomey-Calavi:
- 2.4 WLE 2019 Benin last Uploading photos sessions and workshops
- 2.5 Photo Walk in forêt sacrée de ouidah-Benin
- 2.6 Photo Walk in Jardin des Plantes et de la nature de Port-Novo-Benin
- 2.7 Photo Walk Sanctuaire des singes in Calavi-Benin
- 2.8 Photo Walk Jardin botanique and Uploading session de l'UAC-Benin
- 2.9 Workshop and tranning session at Cotonou with IROKO FABLAB GROUP-Benin
- 2.10 Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin- Launch Events
- 2.11 Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin- Felicitation Events https://semiathaddict.home.blog/2019/07/18/wiki-loves-earth-2019-au-benin-2/:
- 3 Program Schedule
- 4 Winners and Finalist Images
- 5 Outcome
- 6 Learning
- 7 Finances
- 8 Anything else
- 9 References
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The Wikimedian User Group of the Benin organized this year 2019 for the first time its international photo contest Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin. Learning from our participation in the Wiki Loves Africa 2019 contest, we were able to achieve our goals in accordance with what we mentioned in our grant application. Professional photographers have joined our community of contributors.
- 1481 photos were uploaded by 48participants (with 10 Uploaders registered after competition start)
- 2 training and upload sessions were held in Abomey-Calavi and Cotonou
- 4 photo walk outgoing were held in Abomey-Calavi, Porto-Novo and Ouidah.
- Each participant received 1 T-shirt and a sticker
- Media participation in the events increased the visibility of the wikimedia projects and the Wiki loves Earth 2019 contest in Benin.
Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin- Outreach Events
Organized for the first time in Benin by the Benin Wikimedians' local group from Benin User Group, the Wiki Loves Earth 2019 competition took place through several activities and events. We can mention among others 
- Four photo walks on Abomey-calavi natural heritage sites, one in Porto-Novo and another in Ouidah
- A writing workshop and two upload workshops https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/fr/map/wiki-loves-earth-africa_348518#11/6.4800/2.3384.
- The awareness event resulted in an increase in the number of participants whose details are shown in the following galleries.
Felicitation ceremony and award ceremony increased the visibility of event https://www.24haubenin.info/?Les-dix-meilleures-images-du-Benin-connues.
|1||Jardin botanique et zoologique de l'université d'Abomey-Calavi||Abomey-Calavi||08th Juin 2019||2:00 pm to 5:00 pm|
|2||Sanctuaire des singes de Drabo||Abomey-Calavi||15th Juin 2019||3:00 pm to 6:00 pm|
|3||Jardin des plantes et de la nature||Porto-Novo||22th Juin 2019||3:00 pm to 6:00 pm|
|4||Forêt sacrée de Kpassè||Ouidah||27th Juin 2019||3:00 pm to 6:00 pm|
WLE2019:Exposure of Finalist Images
WLE 2019 Benin Felicitation and award ceremony in Abomey-Calavi:
WLE 2019 Benin last Uploading photos sessions and workshops
Photo Walk in forêt sacrée de ouidah-Benin
Photo Walk in Jardin des Plantes et de la nature de Port-Novo-Benin
Photo Walk Sanctuaire des singes in Calavi-Benin
Photo Walk Jardin botanique and Uploading session de l'UAC-Benin
Workshop and tranning session at Cotonou with IROKO FABLAB GROUP-Benin
Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin- Launch Events
Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin- Felicitation Events https://semiathaddict.home.blog/2019/07/18/wiki-loves-earth-2019-au-benin-2/:
|Timing||Session||Topics to be covered||Coordinator/Resource Person|
|☼ 3:00 pm - 3.15 pm||Welcome & Introduction||ANICET AHOUANGBO|
|☼ 3:15 pm - 3:40 pm||Introductions about Wiki Loves Earth and Program||Mermoze Adodo|
|☼ 3:40 pm - 3:50 pm||Competition Overview||Statistics and Competition overview||Mermoze ADODO|
|☼ 3.50 pm - 4.00 pm||General Information on Wikimédiens du Bénin User Group||Definition, - Objective -Paths how to Join the group||Fawaz Tairou|
|☼ 4.00 pm – 4:15 pm||Prize distribution||Prize distribution of Winners||WLE 2019 in Bénin Président of Jury and Guess|
|☼ 4:15 pm - 4:20 pm||Ending Note||Thanking||Directeur CNF Cotonou/Fawaz|
|☼ 4:20 pm - 4:30 pm||Group Photo Session||-||Photographer|
|☼ 4.30 pm - 5:30 pm||☕ High Tea/Coffee Break|
Winners and Finalist Images
- Finalist Images
Please report on your original project targets.
|S.N.||Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1||Number of participants||38 (95%)||Target reached.|
|2||Number of new participants||22(146%)||These were uploaders who created usernames during the competition.|
|3||Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||1481 (233%)||Target reached.|
|4||Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects||115 (77%)||Target reached.|
|5||Number of Quality images from the competition||20 (1%)||Target reached.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The community outreach activities allowed us to reach individuals, groups, professional photographers who helped to increase awareness of the contest and the Wikimedia movement. The organization of photo trips to protected area sites also helped the team review its activities and explore opportunities.
- Thanks to social media, local radio stations and local newspapers, we have been able to reach more people who are starting to go to Wikipedia and really get to know the contest, especially with the presentation of the public's prize, also gave a boost. within reach of the contest by having more followers on its official page.
- Offline conversation with the team members help us to reach the actual target.
- Being at our first participation, Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Benin reinforces the passion of our user group Wikimedien Benin User group has allowed us to reveal to the world the beauty of biodiversity in Benin.
- What did not work so well?
- Poor quality of photos submitted by participants and a large number of non-online photos account for the contest;
- The bad internet speed in Benin is also frustrating whether it is WiFi connection or mobile data.;
- Few professional photographers among the participants;
- Payment of entrance fees and for taking photos especially on certain protected areas sites Team work from the beginning of the competition.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Encourage new contributors, involve and motivate older alumni and members of our user group, including professional photographers.
- Organize more download sessions and at least 3 editathons
- We should find more jury members earlier, and try to do our pre-jury filtering earlier to allow for a more thorough and quick filtering process.
- Improve the pre-judgment process, as well as boarding more judges.
- Establish partnerships with other structures, including the Ministry of Tourism of Benin, and that in charge of communication to obtain free agreement facilities for photo releases.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Item Description||Spent Budget in XOF||No. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes|
|Main Prize||235.000||1||400 USD||400 USD||Awarded the following:
|Additional Prizes||29.500||1||50 USD||50 USD||Gift hamper for the top contributor by numbers of photographs uploads. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, and upload more photographs to win.|
|Special prizes (Photo Frame with the winning photo printed )||59.000||10||10 USD||100 USD||The prizes is for the top ten contributors by rank of winning of photographs.|
|WLE Certificate||20.650||35||1 USD||35 USD||The certificate is for the all contributors and volunteers who takes part in the competition (40) and jury members (05)|
|Hall Rent (Venue)||105.000||3||71 USD||212 USD||Hall rent for the Felicitation ceremony in Cotonou or Abomey-Calavi.|
|Food & Beverages||125000||30||5 USD||150 USD||Conference catering (Including tea and snacks)|
|Travel expenses||118.000||10||20 USD||200 USD||Travel expenses (for jury members and invited guest)|
|DSLR Camera Rental||25.000||2||25 USD||50 USD||Camera Rental (One camera has been rented for use in the 2 day-photoshoots)|
|WLE T-shirts||72000||24||5 USD||120 USD||WLE T-shirts for team members and the participants|
|Backdrop, printing and other stuff regarding event||53.100||1||1||90 USD||Flex print, Stationery|
|Outreach Event||181.600||2||154 USD||308 USD||We organized local events in Cotonou, Abomey-Calavi and Porto-Novo:
|Meetup and communication||110.000||1||186 USD||186 USD||For the discussion among the volunteers and communication expenses. We used Internet during events for photo uploading.
Communication-Marketing (Facebook, instagram, Websites etc...)
|Total Expense is 1.133.850 F CFA (1.921 USD)
Total Budget is: 1.127.490 F CFA (1911 USD)
|(1 USD = 590,00 Franc CFA as of 24 April 2019)|
Remaining fundsDo you have any remaining grant funds?Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
We have no remaining surplus of funds. But the budget was slightly exceeded of 6.360 F CFA (10,78 USD) and covered our expenses.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
We need a tool that would help us choose the best images instead of doing it manually. This would facilitate the work of the jury members and the organizing committee in achieving the objectives of selecting the best images.