Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Editathons at Goethe Institut/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went? Some goals set initially were not achieved, but our satisfaction was great because a team was set up, a group was created. Above all, the members are very motivated to continue and especially to learn more. Our partnership with the Goethe Institut has increased. Some of the elements were :
- New editors from different fields are now members of the community (photographers, translators, linguists, developers, journalists and bloggers...).
- More than 300 images were uploaded under the 26 categories created
- Members are more and more motivated to continue this project and to initiate other projects in other areas (photographs of traditional chiefdoms, promotion of Cameroonian local languages, programming in MediaWiki ...)
- Few articles were created due to lack of time
- Our collaboration with the Goethe Institute has been renewed for the next few months (which makes us want to continue) because it was a question of being able to respect the commitment to hold a meeting every month in their premises and on a regular basis.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|8 events||16 events||This takes into account meetings at Goethe and outings for taking photos|
|Between 20 and 25 members||The workforce varied between 15 and 25 people||The majority were new editors|
|More than 75% of articles||Less than 10 articles were created.||Most of the time was spent training and uploading photos taken on the field|
|More than 200 pictures||More than 300 photos were uploaded.||The photo sessions have been multiplied|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Commitment and motivation of members to learn and participate.
- A team, a community was created which has to be stabilized.
- Several testimonials of satisfaction were given on social networks.
- Several participants discovered Wikipedia and started creating articles, some also discovered Commons and uploaded several photos.
- Motivation of the members for group photo outings
- The availability of the Goethe room at all our meetings
- What did not work so well?
- Time was short enough to create multiple articles.
- Unavailability of sources
- Need to get permission to take photos
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will continue with the project for another 3 to 4 months (A meeting at Goethe each month).
- It will involve working more on the creation of articles, translation into French, English and German.
- The creation of Wikidata entries.
- The purchase of books (sources) on the subject and the search for local partnerships with the authorities.
- Request permission to take a picture
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Item||Spent Budget in XOF||Spend Budget in USD||Receipt Available||Comments|
|Transport of Volunteers for outings||165 000 frs CFA||$290,40 USD||Yes||Several outings made and the number of people reduced|
|Video projector rental||50 000 frs CFA||$88,00 USD||Yes,||Last meeting after Goethe closed|
|Transport for Volunteers for meetings||206 000 frs CFA||$362,56 USD||Yes|
|Telephone during outings||50 000 frs CFA||$88,00 USD||Yes,||Communication during outings for taking pictures|
|Yaounde stays (Hotels and taxi trips):6 months||210 000 frs CFA||$369,60 USD||Yes, except taxis|
|Transport to Yaounde - 6 months||90 000 frs CFA||$158,40 USD||Yes, A lost ticket|
|Aperitifs : Last training out of the Goethe||29 200 frs CFA||$51,39 USD||Yes|
|Credit for internet connection||35 000 frs CFA||$61,60 USD||Yes||Last meeting after Goethe closed|
|Designing : Tee-shirts,note books, caps||60 000 frs CFA||$105,60 USD||Yes|
|Total||895 200 frs CFA||$1 575,55 USD|
- Nota Bene: [Wikimedia France] funded the T-shirts, notepads, hats and pens that were given to community members and Goethe officials
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, About 130,000 frs CFA - $228,80 USD
Anything else you want to share about your project?
We will relaunch the meetings as part of our partnership with the Goethe Institut in November by continuing the project to strengthen the skills of members and their motivations.
- Some pictures of the events: Events pictures
- Some neighborhoods pictures : Neighborhoods pictures
- Pictures of last months training :November - December training sessions at Goethe Institut