Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Editathons at Goethe Institut
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase the number of articles on Yaounde neighborhoods
- Recruit new editors
- Increase the number of images to illustrate the created articles
- Increase skills of User Group members in Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and WikiData
- Retain the members of the User Group to better structure it
- Establish our partnership with the Goethe Institute and our visibility in Cameroon
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- At least one field trip every month in one of the 7 sub-divisions of Yaoundé
- Meetings with traditional authorities in order to gather information on the elements to put forward concerning every neighborhood.
- One meeting per month at Goethe to upload the images, write the articles in Wikipedia and WikiData and illustrate them
- One closing ceremony with presentation of the first part of the work
- February 2018
- 16th February: field trip in the neighborhoods of Yaoundé and meeting with the traditional rulers
- 17th February: editathon at Goethe
- March 2018
- 10th March: field trip in the neighborhoods of Yaoundé and meeting with the traditional rulers
- 17th March: editathon at Goethe
- April 2018
- 7th April: field trip in the neighborhoods of Yaoundé and meeting with the traditional rulers
- 14th April: editathon at Goethe
- May 2018
- 5th May: field trip in the neighborhoods of Yaoundé and meeting with the traditional rulers
- 12th May: editathon at Goethe
- 26th May: ceremony of presentation of the first part of the project.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Goethe’s term program will integrate our monthly editathons (website Goethe Institut Website, paper program, social network)
- We will also communicate our information in our WhatsApp group, on our Facebook page Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group Facebook page and on our page in Meta.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Many participants are members of the User Group. They don’t have any deep knowledge in the various environments (Wikipedia, :Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata); will use one hour of every editathon to make a brief presentation of these environments.
- Therefore, through the contributions in the project, their knowledge will increase in a significant manner.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- The final objective of this program is not only to keep faithful the members of the User Group to the activities but mostly :to structure the user group in its functioning for other activities and projects.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- A partnership has been made with Goethe Institute: they will give us the hall and the equipment for the meetings of the User :Group, and we will propose to them a calendar of activities to sweet with their program of activities.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events : 10
- Number of participants : Between 20 and 25 members
- Number of new editors : Around 10
- Number of of articles created or improved : More than 75 articles illustrated in English, Deutschlang and French in Wikipedia and Wikidata
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): about 40 %
- Number of pictures added: More than 200 pictures
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The members of the user group leaving in Yaoundé, among who a photograph
- An equipped hall at Goethe Institute for meetings
- Internet connection
- Aperitif during our meetings and closing ceremony handled by the Goethe Institute
- Communication through the tools of Goethe (Website, Software, Social networks)
- The partnership with Afroleadership (Promoting Data Revolution in Africa) for the contact creation with authorities and the access to certain sources
- The administrative partition of the town of Yaoundé – Cartography: Direction of technical services/ cell of urban development (Urban Council of Yaoundé) – 2008 Editions
- The websites:
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Transport of volunteers for the field trips (5000 Cfa F x 10 persons x 4 months) = 200 000 Cfa F
- Aperitif during the field trips (30 000 Cfa F x 4 months) = 120 000 Cfa F
- Transport of volunteers during the monthly meetings (2000 Cfa F x 25 x 4 months) = 200 000 Cfa F
- Stay in Yaoundé (Bus, taxi and accommodation) = 188 000 Cfa F
- Tee-shirts for the volunteers (2500 Cfa F x 25) = 62 500 Cfa F
- Caps of the volunteers (3200 Cfa F x 25) = 80 000 Cfa F
- Transport of journalists (closing ceremony)= 100 000 Cfa F
- Nota Bene: Wikimedia France has agreed to finance part of this budget for the launch of the project for: 934.65 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Benoît Prieur, le 24 novembre 2017
- Support one more opportunity to start up new contributors and outreach in African in a trusty place and with an experimented project leader. Lionel Scheepmans ✉ Contact French native speaker, sorry for my dysorthography 23:18, 24 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support A well prepared set of activities like this is needed to increase the community in the Yaounde region. I endorse the project. However, running the needed amount through a currency converter I come up with 1,723.74 USD for 950,000 CFA. Knowing the inflation rates it would be better to round it up to something like 1,800 USD. --Gereon K. (talk) 17:58, 27 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Ji-Elle 16:08, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support but put the proposal in proposed status so that it gets reviewed (been there, done that) Anthere (talk) 16:34, 5 February 2018 (UTC)