Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- The campaign was a huge success as we met all our set goals.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|300 people participate||597 people participated||The campaign was supported by 36 Wikimedia affiliate communities and events were organized in at least 19 countries. The ratio of existing users to new users is six to one (6:1) and about 20% of the total participants are females.|
|1500 images are used on Wikipedia articles||A total of 90,890 images, 1,267 audios, and 508 videos were used on Wikipedia articles||WPWP Campaign implementations resulted in the use of over 92,000 media files on Wikipedia articles|
|1000 articles are improved with photos||More than 90,000 articles in 272 languages Wikipedia were improved with photos||WPWP Campaign implementations resulted in the improvement of over 90,000 articles with photos. See the campaign stats here|
|20 languages Wikipedia are improved||A total of 272 Wikipedia language projects were improved.||About 62.4% of the articles' improvement was made to the English language Wikipedia and 12.5% to the Swahili language Wikipedia. The English and Swahili Wikipedia were the most improved language Wikipedias.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Many things worked well. Below are a few things that worked really well.
- The campaign goals and idea
- The communication and the promotion of the campaign on social media
- The incentive worked well. Although some communities, notably the English and French Wikipedia suggested that the prizes should be reduced
- The participating instruction. Although, some users suggested that it was not clear enough
- The name Wikipedia pages wanting photos worked well as it summarized the project scope
- Having several coordinators handling the affairs of various teams. This helped in goal/target-setting, and it certainly helped in driving efficiency.
- The WD4WP Tool developed by Magnus Maske for the campaign worked well.
- The Central Notice Banner worked
- The lockdown mode as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic in most countries promote participation
- The partnership with local GLAM institutions. For example, the National Library and Archives of Quebec organized a WPWP Campaign event to train participants on how to add photos to Wikipedia articles.
- The organizer's guide and other resources designed for the campaign
- Dedication of the organizers and timely responses to query and inquiries by the coordinators
- Training of participants organized by the local coordinators
- What did not work so well?
- Tracking tool. The tracking tool, the Wikimedia hashtag tool did not work optimally. Many thanks to Sam Walton who on many occasions helped with restarting the tool.
- The responses of some members of the large Wikipedia communities to new editors were very harsh and unhelpful to new editors.
- Searching for articles that lack photos and the right photos on Commons were not easy for some people, especially those participants that are not very familiar with Wikimedia Commons.
- Coordination in different languages Wikipedia
- Virtual/online or off-line meeting and training did not work well in some countries, especially in Africa
- Managing new editors participation was quite challenging
- Adding the hashtag (#WPWP) to edit summary did not work very well as many users often forget to add the hashtag and their contributions were not tracked
- The hashtag is filterable and Susceptible to blocking in most language Wikipedias
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will ensure that local organizers of the campaign have instruction pages on local language Wikipedia.
- We will improve the instruction pages and provde adequate information on how to use images on Wikipedia articles
- We wll explore an alternative way of tracking contributions and or work closely with the WMF to improve any existing tracking tools.
- We will improve on our communication with local Wikipedia communities.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Exchange in local currency is based on the Oanda.com
|Date||Time||City||Vendor/receiver||Items||Amount||Local Currency||Currency in Dollars (USD)||Purchase||Purpose of purchase||Receipt status|
|11th Oct. 2020||12:24 PM WAT||Lagos, Nigeria||Shoprite Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria||Gift Card Voucher||339,875||NGN||886.327||Three (3) Gift Card Voucher||Prizes for the 1st runner up, 2nd Runner Up and Top new user||Receipts were provided by this vendor|
|16th Oct. 2020||6:03 PM||Spanish Amazon, Spain||Online es.Amazon||Amazon gift card||330||EUR||397.535 (358 USD + 11.62 Exchange rate guarantee fee)||One Amazon gift card||Prizes for the "Top audio user" and "Top video user"||Receipts were provided by the vendor|
|12th Oct. 2020||11:00 AM WAT||Ilupeju, Lagos Nigeria||United Parcel Service Nig. Ltd||Courier service for delivery of prizes||20,500||NGN||53.46||Courier service for delivery of prizes||Delivery of prizes for the 1st runner up, 2nd Runner Up and Top new user in Nigeria||Receipts were provided by this vendor|
|9th Oct. 2020||3:00 PM WAT||Ikeja Lagos Nigeria||Mr. Blessing Ojo||Digital banner, promotional, and logo design||75,898.4||NGN||200||Digital banner, promotional, and logo design||Design of Digital banner, promotion material, and logo design||Not receipted|
|10th May 2020 - 12th Oct. 2020||3:24 PM WAT||Lagos Nigeria||ISP (MTN & Airtel Network)||Internet and airtime for phone calls||50,000||NGN||130.39||Internet and airtime for phone calls||Internet for coordination for 5 months and phone calls||Not receipted|
|10th Oct. 2020||1:00 PM WAT||Lagos Nigeria||Project Manager (Isaac Olatunde)||Transportation for prize(s) processing (Taxi to Bank, Shoprite and United Parcel Service Nig. Ltd and back home)||30,000||NGN||78.23||Transportation for prize(s) processing (Taxi to Shoprite and United Parcel Service Nig. Ltd and back home)||Transportation for prize(s) processing (Taxi to Shoprite and United Parcel Service Nig. Ltd and back home)||Not receipted|
|1st Oct. 2020||11:00AM||Lagos State||Ad-Monseg Enterprises||Gift for Jury: WPWP T-shirt & WPWP Mug Purchase and branding||77,000||NGN||200.66||Gift for Jury: WPWP T-shirt & WPWP Mug||Gift for Jury: WPWP T-shirt & WPWP Mug. The cost of shipping is very high. We plan to use one of the international conference or meetings of Wikimedians to deliver the gift to some of the jury members||Receipted|
|5th Oct. 2020||12:00 Noon||Lagos State||Sherfex Oil & Gas Int'l||Car fueling||12,500||NGN||32.57||Car fueling||Gift card pre-purchase inquiry visit to Shopping malls including Shopprite,Ikeja||Receipted|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes. 21.488 USD
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Please see the WPWP Campaign Evaluation Report draft.
Below are the winners of the international prizes for the WPWP Campaign 2020 as presented by the Jury and announced by the WPWP Campaign International Team.
|1.||User:Tarih||Top image user||9866||1st||verify|
|2.||User:Dolphyb||Top image user||7401||2nd||verify|
|3.||User:Lordgentual||Top image user||7104||3rd||verify|
|1.||User:Elisardojm||Top audio user||617||Winner||verify|
|1.||User:Elisardojm||Top video user||185||Winner||verify|
|1.||User:Osenibabalola0||Top new contributors||5995||Winner||verify|