Grants:Project/UG CI/Les Classes Wikipedia (Wikipedia Classroom)
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Poor number and quality of articles about the top 100 notable Ivorian writers
According the Ministry of Culture, the Ivorian literature is considered to be born in 1933 when the first book of Bernard Dadié was publised. Nearly 85 years later, According to the Ivorian writers association (AECI), the literature of Côte d'Ivoire encompasses over 500 writers. At least a hundred of them are notable enough to exist on Wikipedia.
In Wikipedia in French, only 67 Ivorian writers currently exist. This figure becomes more insignificant if we consider the poor quality of the existing articles. For instance, Bernard Dadié, who is said to be "the father of the Ivorian literature", has a French article resembling a stub. Not to mention the near inexistence of pictures related to these writers on Commons.
What is your solution to this problem?
Creating and improving the Wikipedia articles of the 100 top notable Ivorian writers
We provide 4-5 weeks Wikipedia training sessions to young people, under 35 years old, from two universities of Côte d'Ivoire. During each training session, learners focus on creating and improving the Wikipedia articles of the 100 most notable Ivorian writers. The course progression is inspired by the WikiEducation Syllabus and was experimented for more than 6 months in Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire).
- Recruit new Wikipedia editors or members of User Group of Côte d'Ivoire
- Increase skills for existing editors who have less than 50 contributions
- Add or improve content on Wikimedia Website (Wikipedia, Commons)
- Involve advanced wikipedians in mentorship of newbies
How will you know if you have met your goals?
- 100 articles about Ivorian writers have been created or/and improved by the end of the project
- 30 participants have been trained
- 20 newly registered users
- 6 existing Wikipedians have received a trainers' training
- 5 participants join the UG and get involved in our projects
- 5 participants become regulars contributors (at least 5 edits/month)
- By the end of the project, at least 2 trainers who were previously trained when the project began, will then be able to train new trainers
- January/February :
- Selection & Training workshop of Wikipedia Trainers
- Recruitment of the 30 participant of the 2nd edition of Wikipedia Classroom
- March : Kick off
- April - June : 3 rounds of 4-week sessions, each session gathering 10 learners
- July/August : Graduation ceremony
- September/October : Evaluation
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
|Expense type||Activity||Quantity||Unit cost||Total (FCFA)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Communication - Marketing|
|Communication - Marketing||Designing & printing (contractor)||1||150 000||150 000||272,91||Designing and printing roll up banner|
|6||1 000||6 000||10,92||Printing training kit|
|1||50 000||50 000||90,97||Printed documents set|
|40||1 000||40 000||72,78||Printing completion certificates|
|Total Communication/ Marketing||246 000||447,58|
|Snacks||Trainers' training workshop||1||53 200||53 200||96,79||Snacks and beverage for 6 participants|
|Launching ceremony||1||77 000||77 000||96,79||Snacks and beverage for 50 participants|
|Weekly training sessions||12||13 500||162 000||294,75||Snacks (coffee-breack) for 10 learners and 2 trainers|
|Graduation ceremony||1||77 000||77 000||140,10||Snacks and beverage for 50 participants|
|Total Snacks||369 200||672|
|Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination|
|Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination||Trainers' training workshop||6||5 000||30 000||54,58||Transport allowance for workshop attendees|
|2||20 000||40 000||72,78||Workshop trainers' compensation|
|Launching ceremony||2||10 000||20 000||36,39||Launching ceremony's staff compensation|
|Weekly training sessions||6||50 000||300 000||545,83||Compensation for the trainers of Wikipedia Classroom|
|Graduation ceremony||2||10 000||20 000||36,39||Graduation ceremony's staff compensation|
|Coordination||12||100 000||1 200 000||2 183,31||Project coordinator's compensation|
|1||350 000||350 000||636,80||EPSON video projector|
|3||15 000||45 000||81,87||Surge protector multi-socket|
|1||70 000||70 000||127,36||Wireless routeur|
|12||40 000||480 000||873,32||Internet connection fees for the training rooms (monthly subscription)|
|12||5 000||60 000||109,17||Telephone credit|
|12||10 000||120 000||218,33||Equipment transportation|
|Total Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination||2 735 000||4 976|
|TOTAL BUDGET||3 350 200||6 095,43|
We will use the User Group's mailing, Twitter, Facebook and Website channels to inform and engage all members to actively participate in the project and relay its news (call for applications, training sessions, kick off and so one ). We also plan to give communications and create printed material (Posters) to be affixed to schools, cultural centers and partner libraries for the recruitment of non-Wikipedian / medians.
Please use this section to tell us more about who is working on this project. For each member of the team, please describe any project-related skills, experience, or other background you have that might help contribute to making this idea a success.
Donatien Kangah, Project Manager
Donatien Kangah is the current Chairman of the Wikimedia User Group Côte d’Ivoire. In 2015, He became “BSF young leader” for the innovation in libraries through Sub-Sahara. He had been selected by the french NGO Libraries Without Borders because of the “Ivory Coast GLAM project”, which aims to connect African libraries with Wikimedia Community in order to capitalize African knowledge through the world on Internet. Social entrepreneur and content editor, he is also the cofounder of the first Ivorian Bloggers Association. With his web agency E-voir, he has won many individual and community prizes like Ashoka Emerging Young Leader 2015, IYF Fellow 2015, Innov4Africa 2014, Best Community Manager of Côte d’Ivoire 2012, etc.
Samuel Guebo, Wikipedia Trainer
Since 2008 as User:African Hope, he has been editing Wikipedia, in French mainly, as well as sister projects, operating a bot and submitting few patches to MediaWiki on Gerrit. He was deeply involved in the growth of the local User Group. From its official affiliation in 2014 until today various roles were assigned to Samuel : Wikipedian in Residence, GLAM-WIKI Coordinator, and more recently, Vice-Chair of the WCUG-CI. However, what he enjoys the most is coordinating the editorial aspects of the User Group's edit-a-thons. This task implies preparing the topics that will be edited in advance, coaching contributors, reporting edits, etc. Also, he has been working for 7 months as the Strategy Coordinator for the French-speaking communities helping the French community speak with its own voice about the Wikimedia movement's future.
This project team will benefit from the support of the User Group actives members.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc. Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Support This project will permit to increase the number of editors or members of User Group of Côte d'Ivoire. Mouahé (talk) 17:03, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Based on the results of the last session of Wikipedia classes, I support this project that permits to have new contributors on Wikipedia and also brings new members to our User Group. Manouka (talk)
- Support Wikipedia classes give the opportunity to people to know what Wikipedia and Wikipedia project are really about. They give learners writing and sourcing competences. Which helps our Community User Group grow with qualitative members. MKwadyo (talk)
- Support Wikipedia classes give the opportunity to increase the editors number of Côte d'Ivoire User Group. Modjou (talk) 14:28, 01 october 2017 (UTC)
- Support having more african editors is certainly needed! I hope you will pay attention to the gender gap as well, in this case les sans pagEs can help you to welcome new female participants and promote the articles concerning women. Dont forget the ressources of the #wikimooc for your classes! There are online tutorialsNattes à chat (talk) 08:56, 14 October 2017 (UTC)
- Thank you for your support. As member of Wikimooc volunteer, I will use its ressources. Concerning gender gap, we are discussing with a female high school. User:Papischou 18:36, 03 november 2017
- Support That projet is one of those that will permit to increase our performance and increase to the number of the user group and contributors Yasield (talk)
- "Découvrir les origines de la littérature ivoirienne avec Henri N'Koumo". Yehni Djidji (in fr-FR). 2017-03-07. Retrieved 2017-09-23.
- "L'Association des Ecrivains de Côte d’Ivoire (AECI)". aeci.ci (in French). Retrieved 2017-09-23.
- "Liste d'écrivains ivoiriens" (in French). 2017-04-06.
- "Dossier : Côte d'Ivoire : Un siècle de négritude avec Bernard Binlin Dadié – JeuneAfrique.com". JeuneAfrique.com (in fr-FR). 2016-04-27. Retrieved 2017-09-23.
- "Category:Writers from Côte d'Ivoire - Wikimedia Commons". commons.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2017-09-23.
- Hope, African (2017-06-30), English: This is the report of the pilot phase of Wikipedia Classes, a local version of WikiEducation launched in Côte d'Ivoire. This report highlights actions carried out from october 2016 to march 2017 and the results. (PDF), retrieved 2017-09-23