Grants:Project/UG CI/Les Classes Wikipedia (Wikipedia Classroom)/Final
Welcome to this project's final report! This report shares the outcomes, impact and learnings from the grantee's project.
Part 1: The Project
Through Wikipedia Classroom, we provide 4-5 weeks of training to young people, under 35 years old, from three universities of Ivory Coast. During each training session, learners focus on creating and improving the Wikipedia articles of the 100 most notable Ivorian writers. The course is inspired by the WikiEducation Syllabus and was tested for more than 6 months in Abidjan (Ivory Coast). This 2nd edition ended with the creation of 2 Wikipedia Club.
Recruit new Wikipedia editors or members of the Ivory Coast. The majority of participants had never contributed to Wikimedia projects. The Wikipedia Classes were an initiation for them. At the end of the program, we opened 2 Wikipedia Clubs with about 30 students and appointed a University Referent.
Increase skills for existing editors who have less than 50 contributions. Some of the trainers, although contributors on Wikipedia, had fewer than 50 contributions. The Wikipedia Classes, through the training of trainers, helped to raise their level. They passed the bar of 50 contributions.
Add or improve content on Wikimedia Website (Wikipedia, Commons). The Wikipedia Classes focused this year on Ivorian writers. It was about improving or creating new Wikipedia articles on the theme. Similarly, photos of Commons have been reused to enrich Wikipedia.
Involve advanced wikipedians in mentorship of newbies. The opportunity of the training of trainers allowed to mobilize 8 Wikipedians. Their role was to animate training sessions and organized writing workshops. A role that has continued with the support and assistance of students after face-to-face sessions.
Important: The Wikimedia Foundation is no longer collecting Global Metrics for Project Grants. We are currently updating our pages to remove legacy references, but please ignore any that you encounter until we finish.
|Planned measure of success
(include numeric target, if applicable)
| 100 articles about Ivorian writers have been created or/and improved by the end of the project
|78||We have encountered difficulties in finding sources on Ivorian authors. Articles concerning authors or literature are rare in the media because they are more interested in political topics.|
|30 participants have been trained
|48||The program has received a welcome beyond our expectations. We received more than 300 applications. We were forced to make a selection.|
|20 newly registered users
||47||Almost all participants were beginners.|
|6 existing Wikipedians have received a trainers' training
|5 participants join the UG and get involved in our projects
||11||We have opened 2 Academic Clubs of about ten members affiliated to the user group and appointed a university referent.|
|5 participants become regulars contributors (at least 5 edits/month)
||10||We have identified a dozen contributors with an average of 5 contributions per month since the creation of their accounts during the training.|
| By the end of the project, at least 2 trainers who were previously trained when the project began, will then be able to train new trainers
Beyond the training and editorial contributions recorded, we particularly appreciate the creation of 2 Wikipedia clubs. Wanted by the participants, and authorized by the administrations, these clubs are for us the proof of the adoption of the project by the partners of the education. These clubs are today the spearhead of the spin-off of the Wikimedia movement beyond the user group.
Methods and activities
Please provide a list of the main methods and activities through which you completed your project.
Engagement of the User Group member's
- The project was officially presented on January 15, 2018 in front of twenty members of the User Group.
- The meta pages of the project have been edited, including biographies of project members. The pilot project team was appointed again.
Partnership with Schools
- Contacting universities formally
- Working session and preparation meetings with heads of Université Virtuelle de Côte d’Ivoire were held to discuss practical arrangements.
- At Institut des Sciences et Techniques de la Communication – Polytechnique, after obtaining authorization from the administration staff, we had a meeting on March 28th with the new Student Office to introduce them to the project.
Selection of fellows
- A call for applications was launched on March 21st, via a Google form.
Deployment of Classes
- The training sessions started on May 2018. On May 19th, INP-HB started with a class of 8 students. Activities were focused on account and user page creation, discussion, visual editor, wikicode, talk page discussion, etc.On May 26, we launched the Wikipedia Classes at ISTC-Polytechnique. That launching session aimed to introduce students to the encyclopedia and the Wikimedia movement. On May 18, we also hosted an information session on Wikipedia for Abidjan Catholic University (UCAO) students in License 1, as part of the Communication course led by a member of User Group. Les classes ont finalement démarré à l’UVCI le 4 juin 2018.
- Closing sessions were held in June and July 2018. June 23, 2018, with INP students, July 7 with ISTC-P and July 16 at UVCI. The closing sessions consisted of feedback from the participants, followed by presentations of the most regular certificates. Regularity was finally accepted as the paramount criterion for obtaining certificates.
Creation of 2 Academic Clubs & designation of a school referent
- We opened two university clubs in two schools, one at the request of the administration, the other at the request of the students themselves. We have designated a local referent at the doctoral school of INP-HP. The one with interface role in the school and the user group.
- Project page on the user group weebsite ;
- The category "Wikipedia Classes 2018" on Commons gathers all the photos, presentations and feedback of the project.
- Outreach Dashboard of Wikipedia Classroom at UVCI
- Outreach Dashboard of Wikipedia Classroom at INP-HB
- Outreach Dashboard of Wikipedia Classroom at ISTC-P
What worked well
- The involvement of some administration staffs
- The engagement of the members of the User Group
- Communication about the project
What didn’t work
- Internet connection is slow and not enough
- Lack or insufficient number of computers for participants
- Unavailability of space sometimes where schools had others programs
- Inconsistent participation of some students
- Insufficient references on selected topics
Next steps and opportunities
We are planning to link to Wikipedia Classroom the opening of Clubs. Our objective is to create a territorial or sectoral spin-off of the Wikimedia movement in Ivory Coast. It is also a way to make the impact of this project sustainable beyond the training sessions.
Part 2: The Grant
Please copy and paste the completed table from your project finances page. Check that you’ve listed the actual expenditures compared with what was originally planned. If there are differences between the planned and actual use of funds, please use the column provided to explain them.
|Actual Fund Spend||Activity||X OF||USD
|Communication - Marketing|
|Communication - Marketing||Designing & printing (contractor)||150 000||273||Designing and printing roll up banner|
|9 000||17||Printing training kit|
|18 000||33||Printing completion certificates|
|Total Communication/ Marketing||177 000||323|
|Snacks||Trainers' training workshop||50 400||92||Snacks and beverage for 6 participants|
|Total Snacks||50 400||92|
|Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination|
|Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination||Human ressources||15 000||28||Trainers' training workshop (Transport allowance for workshop attendees)|
|40 000||73||Workshop trainers' compensation|
|35 000||64||Launching ceremony ( Launching ceremony's staff compensation)|
|709 000||1 280||Weekly training sessions (Compensation for the trainers of Wikipedia Classroom)|
|Equipment||459 900||837||EPSON video projector|
|Surge protector multi-socket|
|Coordination||750 000||1 365||Internet connection fee for training rooms spread across the three institutions.|
|900 000||1 638||Project coordinator's compensation|
|225 000||410||Telephone credit|
|Total Travel / Equipment / Human ressources coordination||3 133 900||5 702|
|TOTAL||3 351 300||6 098|
|Funds received||3 350 200||6 095,43|
Do you have any unspent funds from the grant?
If you have unspent funds, they must be returned to WMF. Please see the instructions for returning unspent funds and indicate here if this is still in progress, or if this is already completed:
Confirmation of project status
Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
Is your project completed?
This first Project Grant experience has been rewarding for us in the process of this type of grant. However, we were disturbed by the reaction times from the Grant team, especially during the validation of the mid-term report, forcing us to adapt our deployment schedule.