- Application or grant stage: grant application
- Applicant or grantee: Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group
- Amount requested: 12,000 EUR (includes 10% contingency)) ($13,500)
- Amount granted: 12,000 EUR (includes 10% contingency)) ($13,500)
- Funding period: 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019
- Application created: 1 November 2018
- Recommended application date: 1 November 2018
- Midpoint report due: 15 July 2019
- Final report due: 30 January 2020
Link to these documents, for the upcoming funding period, only if you have them.
- Link to your organization's staffing plan, for the upcoming funding period. This organization is not requesting staff to be funded from WMF. However, other financing avenues are being looked for possible funding of one project manager.
- Link to your annual plan, for the upcoming funding period. *
- Link to your strategic plan, which includes the upcoming funding period. *
Please use the templates provided to add information about each program you are planning for the upcoming funding period.
During our first year, our focus was to establish cooperation with high schools, integrating Wikipedia into teaching curriculum. Our aim is to fill the content gap in terms of quality and quantity in Albanian Wikipedia, by integrating Wikipedia editing into an academic setting. Furthermore, we created collaborations with two universities in Kosovo and we are working on more.
Seeing the potential, we will continue extending our education program, setting partnerships, creating collaboration, deliver presentations, workshops & editathons, and assist and train teachers and professors on Wikipedia editing.
Workshop with students in Berat
We want to continue our education program in creating collaboration with educational institutions such as high schools and universities. The aim of such goal is to include Wikipedia editing inside the classroom to add and improve content. We will deliver several workshops with students during school time, teaching basic Wikipedia editing skills as well as with students who encountered technical problems. We will also deliver workshops with educators, teaching basic Wikipedia editing skills, as such to give them the opportunity to work closely with students on Wikipedia assignment.
Workshop in Podujeve, Kosovo in October
In Kosovo, teachers are required to fulfill an amount of training during the academic year as a tool to improve the quality of teaching and use modern and interactive approaches. Throughout the year we aim in working with government and NGOs in developing an accredited training for teachers based on Wikipedia editing, as a teaching tool that will increase student’s academic writing skills, IT skills, critical thinking, research and more. Through this, we will push further our education program by increasing the number of teachers who use Wikipedia in the classroom.
- Continue to establish partner relations with universities and high schools
- Increase the number of educators who use Wikipedia in their class and train them
- Increase the number of students involved in Wikimedia projects
- Establish several Wiki Clubs at high schools & universities
- Enhance content creation and improvement in Wikimedia projects (especially Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons) by editing in an academic setting
- Establish accredited training for teachers
Measures of success:
- Create 2 collaborations with high-schools & universities
- Deliver 20 workshops with students
- Deliver 5 workshops with educators
- Produce 226 new articles
- Have 5 offline volunteers
- Have an accredited program for teachers by end of year
- 100 new Wikidata items
In regard to GLAM activities, in 2018 we have been working on establishing collaboration with one GLAM institutions in Kosovo (Museum of Kosovo) and one in Albania (National Museum of Albania). In 2019 we will formalize and develop these GLAM partnerships which will include Wikimedia residencies as well as several editathons in Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata. We believe that through these partnerships we will be able to source important material, as well as gain experience and create successful examples for expansion to future GLAM institutions, including gaining Ministry of Culture support.
- Establish collaboration with 2 partner GLAM institutions
- Organize residencies who will interface with the User Group and Wikimedian community and conduct wiki technical work within the partner institutions
- Organize editathons with partner institutions
- Increase content in Wikimedia Commons from partner institutions
- Document Museum artifacts in Wikidata
- Increase the number of articles in Wikipedia with material from partner institutions
Measures of success:
- Start and develop 2 collaboration with GLAM institutions
- Develop and support 2 residencies with GLAM institutions
- 200 new materials uploaded in Wikimedia Commons from Museum of Kosovo and Museum of Albania
- 200 new photos of monuments added to Wikimedia Commons
- 30 items added to Wikidata
- 30 new articles in Wikipedia from GLAM material
We will continue to focus on our outreach program, making Wikimedia projects more visible to the general public using a variety of platforms and activities. Our outreach program includes reaching out to media and organizations, hosting online and offline competitions and events that attract the public and continuously being active in social media, raising awareness on Wikimedia movement. Through this program, we will support active users and reach to new users, building a larger engaging community who will increase the quality & quantity of content.
Wikidata Birthday Celebration 2018 in Tirana
- Reach the general public through media and online promotion and mass edit campaigns
- Develop a larger and more diverse community of volunteers through events and collaborations
- Diminish the content gap in specific areas such as local knowledge or Articles every Wikipedia should have through thematic online campaigns & competitions, and offline events such as walkathons
- Promote the free knowledge concept and Wikimedia projects through guest speakers in conferences
- Establish a network of collaboration with different organizations, finding new editors who are passionate about niche topics
Measures of success:
- 5 new offline volunteers recruited through offline events
- 100 new editors registered
- 330 new articles in Wikipedia
- 50 new items in Wikidata
- 1800 new media files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- 3 guest speakers on Wikimedia projects/free knowledge topics
From August 2018, the User Group incorporated its first staff member based in Prishtina. The hired Project Manager was expected to lead the program through planning, coordinating and executing tasks within budget and time prospect. The part-time position of our Project Manager is supported by Ipko Foundation.
To implement the program, the Project Manager's duties and responsibilities are:
- Identify and coordinate activities, timeline, and budget to execute within program’s grant application
- Network, research and reach institutions, organizations and individuals to create further collaborations and partnerships
- Manage activities, allocate resources, coordinate and organize duties and tasks within the timeframe
- Organize events and other promotional activities
- Develop and implement a communication plan for the User Group
- Send press-releases, reach out to media and manage social media marketing to promote events, user group and the free knowledge concept of Wikipedia
- Develop and monitor user group’s reports, proposals, presentations, and other documentation
- Administer the budget, by executing, monitoring and recording expenditures
We are seeking means to develop partnerships with organizations or institutions which would sponsor a Project Manager in Tirana. As much as we do now, with the help of volunteers in Albania and a part-time Project Manager in Prishtina, another dedicated employee would support further and ensure an efficient implementation of the program grant.
Please use the templates below to add information about each staff or contractor position you are planning during the upcoming funding period.
Budget and resource plan
I edit Wikipedia was an online campaign that took place during March 2019. The online campaign aimed to inform the public what is Wikipedia and that it is edited by everyone. During March 2019, we had the campaign banner showing at Wikipedia Shqip, we outreached our network through newsletters and constantly advertised in social media. During this period we also wrote how-to articles on our website, as an aid for people interested in editing Wikipedia.
Besides we went on 4 national televisions and 2 radios, talking more about the campaign and Wikipedia in general. The campaign resulted with 42 editors being involved who produced 52 articles.
Promoting campaign on Facebook
Promotion post on Facebook
Articles in our blog:
How to become a Wikipedia editor
Opening a Wikipedia account
10 Wikipedia principles you should know
From this period we understood more on how to successfully implement the education program.
Our learning story can be found here:
Learning Patterns/Collaborate with teachers who share your enthusiasm
The first part of the year was very successful for our education program as we were able to sign a Memorandum of Understanding and foster 3 collaboration with educational institutions. Besides, we initiated our accredited training for teachers with one pilot training with teachers from "Mileniumi i Tretë" high school in Kosova. In addition, we hosted 5 workshops and 1 editathon in Albania.
|1 partnership and 2 cooperations
||Develop further 2 partnership with educational institutions
||During May 2019, WoALUG signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Riinvest College, one of the top private colleges in the country. Riinvest College, an organization aimed at advancing student education, wants to encourage its students and staff to participate in WoALUG's programs to increase the availability of information in Wikipedia Shqip.
As part of this agreement, Riinvest has committed to engage Wikipedia editing in at least 2 classes per semester, while WoALUG will support instructors and student editors through materials and staff time. In the following months, we plan to work closely with professors in building a curriculum for the Wikipedia assignment.
In Albania, we have collaboration with 2 high schools in Berat, Department of Biology at the University of Tirana and Linguistic Department of the University of Durres. Through these cooperations, we are hosting numerous workshops and editathons.
|5 workshops and 1 edit-a-thon
||Host Wiki workshops with high schools
||During this period, we have organized 5 workshops and edit-a-thons with 2 high schools in Berat and University of Tirana.
|1 accredited training
||Establish an accredited training for teachers
||On May 2019, WoALUG held its first teachers’ training involving 15 teachers from “Mileniumi i Tretë” High School. During this 2-parts training, teachers were introduced to Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and Wikidata. Extensive focus was put on copyrights, citation and referencing. Besides, teachers were introduced to the Outreach Dashboard as a tool to monitor the assignment, as well as implementation tactics for Wiki projects in the classroom.
During this period we hosted serveral online and offline activities outreaching the general public. Morever, we signed a MOU with Authority for Information on the Documents of ex-Secret Service in Albania. While promoting each of our events, we reached out to several medias, talking on national TV & radios. Besides, we promoted most of our activities on social media and wrote articles at our blog.
|1 partnership with public institution
||Memorandum of Understanding with Authority for Information on the Documents of ex-Secret Service
||We have signed our memorandum of understanding with Authority for Information on the Documents of ex-Secret Service, co-organized an event with them related to Musine Kokalari. Media coverage can be found here.
|10 new Wikipedia articles and 20 Wikidata items
||Wikipedia Birthday Editathon
||In January we held an editathon in Tirana celebrating Wikipedia's 18th birthday. During this editathon, 10 people participated in writing 10 articles and editing 20 wikidata items.
|42 new editos & 52 new articles in Wikipedia
||I Edit Wikipedia
||I edit Wikipedia was an online campaign that took place during March 2019. The online campaign aimed to inform the public what is Wikipedia and that it is edited by everyone. With no specific theme, the campaign targeted the wide audience, creating space for anyone to edit articles that are of interest to them. A big focus of the campaign was promotion, for which we promoted the activity online and offline. During March 2019, we had the campaign banner showing at Wikipedia Shqip, we outreached our network through newsletters and constantly advertised in social media. During this period we also wrote how-to articles on our website, as an aid for people interested in editing Wikipedia. Besides we went on 4 national televisions and 2 radios, talking more about the campaign and Wikipedia in general. The campaign resulted with 42 editors being involved who produced 52 articles.
Media coverage links:
|43 new articles in Wikipedia
||This year also we participated in the CEE spring online campaign for Albania and Kosovo. During this period, editors translated articles submitted by others countries. From this campaign, participants produced 32 articles for Albania and 11 articles for Kosovo.
||Diaspora Edits Wikipedia online campaign
||On July 2019, we will host an online campaign targeting Albanian diaspora, mainly students. This campaign in organized with Gremin, an NGO that leverages Diaspora skills, knowledge and networks to advance the development and diplomacy of Western Balkan countries. During this campaign, we aim to host several online workshops with participants on the basics of Wikipedia editing. The aim of the campaign is for the participants to write articles for Kosovo in their speaking language Wikipedia.
|529 photos uploaded in Wikimedia Commons
||Wiki Loves Earth
||On May 2019 we participated in Wiki Loves Earth photo competition, organizing the contest in Kosovo and Albania. Promoting the natural monuments of Kosovo and Albania, the contest aimed to reach nature photographers to upload pictures for the contest. Promoting the contest online, we send newsletters, wrote articles on Wikimedia Commons on our website and advertised on social media throughout the month. Moreover, we went on media, talking about the activity in 1 radio and 2 national TV. During the one month period, 94 pictures were uploaded for Kosovo's contest and 435 pictures were uploaded in the Albania's contest. We finish the evaluation process, and will announce the winners during a modest ceremony on July 18.
|10 new editors and 9 new articles in Wikipedia
||Special guest speaker at Dokutech conference
||When we submitted the grant we intended to invite Ms. Katherine Maher to speak on Dokutech conference, one of the largest tech conferences in Kosovo. as this wasn't possible, we organized an activity during FemArt festival, one of the largest feminist festivals in the region.
During this activity we gave a presentation on Women in Wikipedia, showcasing WikiWomen projects active in Wikipedia, with a call to action pushing the participants to become part of these projects. We also hosted an editathon, writing articles of women in Kosovo. With 14 participants the event resulted in 9 new articles of Kosovar women in Wikipedia Shqip.
|160 photos uploaded in Wikimedia Commons
||3 Wiki Photowalk
||On July 8th, we organized Wiki Photowalk 2019 in Kosovo. On this photowalk we had 5 participants who in one day visited and photographed three cities: Prishtina, Vushtrri and Mitrovica. From this photowalk the participants uploaded 160 new photos in Wikimedia Commons. The winner of the competition received a Polaroid camera as a gift for their contribution.
In Albania, the WIkiphoto was organized on 13 of July and more details will be published in August.
|25 editors involved, 20 new articles and 41 articles in Wikipedia
||Instead of organized our annual Wikidiversity editathon, this year we participated at the Wikigap editathon for both countries, Albania and Kosovo. On March 8th, we organized 2 editathons simultaneously in Pristina and Tirana, in cooperation with the Swedish Embassy in both countries. In Kosova 14 new editors were registered and 8 new articles produced.
In Albania, 41 articles were improved and 12 new ones were created.
|11 new editors involved, 6 new articles in Wikipedia
||Wikipedia as activism
||We were invited by S'Bunker, an educational NGO to hold a Wikipedia Module as part of their TruAktiv training. TruAktiv is an alternative education program aimed at advancing critical thinking and critical approaches to understanding society and civic engagement in community and society.
The Wikipedia module aimed to:
- Promote Wikipedia editing as a form of activism;
- Promote Wikipedia and other Wiki projects;
- Develop articles in Wikipedia about civic engagement, youth, and advocacy.
With 11 new editors involved, the activity resulted in 6 new articles created in Wikipedia.
During this period we were able to host 1 Wikimedian in Residence at Mueseum of Kosovo. The Wikimedian did Wikipedia workshops with Museum staff, which resulted in a very successful activity. The staff were enthusiastic about Wikipedia editing and contributing to it.
|15 new articles in Wikipedia
||2 Wikimedians in Residence
||On April 2019, we put the first Wikimedian in Residence at the Museum of Kosovo. During this three month period, the Wikimedian gathered materials from the Museum, writing articles in Wikipedia and adding them to Wikidata. The Wikimedian did also Wikipedia workshops with Museum staff, which resulted in a very successful activity. The staff were enthusiastic about Wikipedia editing and contributing on it. During this period the Wikimedian wrote 15 article in Wikipedia.
For the first period of our grant we spent 3,825 EUR in total.
From this amount:
- 352 EUR were for Education program
- 150 EUR were for GLAM program
- 2,882 EUR were for Outreach program
- 440 EUR were administrative.