Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group
|Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group|
|Location||Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro|
|Country code||ALB, XKS, MKD, SRB, MNE|
|Approval date||17 July 2015|
|Key people||Margott, Arianit, Liridon|
Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group is a user group created by the Albanian community of Wikimedia projects, who are interested to increase the quality and quantity of content and multimedia material in Albanian Wikipedia. We aim to do this through educational programs, workshops and edit-a-thons, running competitions online/offline, GLAM partnerships on a regional level in territories of Balkans where the Albanian language is spoken.
Our annual grant approved for 2020 is hereː WoALUG annual grant We are working in the following programs:
- establish partner relations with educational institutions;
- enhance support material on editing on Wikimedia projects
- inclusion of students on Wikimedia projects;
- increase number of content on Wikimedia projects (especially Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons);
- inclusion of teachers in Wikimedia projects;
- establish relations with GLAM institutions
- make GLAM institutions aware of Wikimedia projects as a tool that supports their mission
- enrich Wikipedia with new content;
Open activities and outreach
- increase the number of free photos related to cultural and natural monuments of Kosovo and Albania on Wikimedia Commons;
- increase the number of articles related to these monuments on Wikipedia;
- promote Wikimedia’s mission and awareness of its projects among Albanian speakers;
- promote the free knowledge concept;
- attract new volunteers and community members.
- collaborate with UGs in the CEE region
We have worked to cover Wikidata content about Albanian language currently covering 42% in the last 12 months.
Please refer to this page for previous activities.
More can be also found at our annual reportsː
- Miranda038, Project Manager
From August 2018, the User Group incorporated its first staff member based in Prishtina. The hired Project Manager was expected to lead the program through planning, coordinating and executing tasks within budget and time prospect. The part-time position of our Project Manager was supported by Ipko Foundation until December 2019. Since January 2020 the staff position is supported by the Wikimedia Foundation.
To implement the program, the Project Manager's duties and responsibilities are:
- Identify and coordinate activities, timeline, and budget to execute within program’s grant application
- Network, research and reach institutions, organizations and individuals to create further collaborations and partnerships
- Manage activities, allocate resources, coordinate and organize duties and tasks within the timeframe
- Organize events and other promotional activities
- Develop and implement a communication plan for the User Group
- Send press-releases, reach out to media and manage social media marketing to promote events, user group and the free knowledge concept of Wikipedia
- Develop and monitor user group’s reports, proposals, presentations, and other documentation
- Administer the budget, by executing, monitoring and recording expenditures
We are seeking means to develop partnerships with organizations or institutions which would sponsor a Project Manager in Tirana. As much as we do now, with the help of volunteers in Albania and a Project Manager in Prishtina, another dedicated employee would support further and ensure an efficient implementation of the program grant.
Please use members page to sign yourself as a member of our UG.
Anyone can join our user group, even those who don’t have an account on a Wikimedia wikiproject. Newbies are not only welcome but are encouraged to take part in our events and outreach activities as members on a trial basis. However, to participate as a full member in WOALUG, and to be able to use our funds you should:
- Have participated, being physically present, in one of our meetings of users that have taken place in various cities/places in Albania/Kosovo or to have met one of the members of the user group in person.
- Be an active user on any project of Albania/Kosova and to continue being an active user as long as you participate in the team.
- You should participate as much as possible in the activities of the group, for example in the organization of events, presentations and workshops, the production of manuals and educational materials or support of the functional needs of the User Group, and so on. Overall abstention from contributions and participation will mean that you lose your rights to participate in the decision-making process of the Group, as well as to have access to administrative resources and materials of the Group.
- Your participation is not allowed if you oppose your positions or actions to the core values of WMF, create functional obstacles to WMF projects, or act in bad faith in the User Group.
- If you run a sponsored project, you must send all the invoices on time according to the expenses you asked in advance.
Questions by email about UG should be sent to email@example.com.
- We have a public Telegram channel (language used mostly Albanian) if you want to join and discuss about Wikimedia projects related stuff. You don't need to be a member to be part of this channel.
If you want to see more about our activities you canː
The UG has at its disposal 8 x Dell Latitude e5420 laptops, 1 Acer C200 Portable Projector and 1 Canon Eos 2000D EF-S Camera. Equipment is stored and available for use at Prishtina Hackerspace which is available for WoALUG activities. Outside they may be used for Wiki activities such as editathons on the principle WoLAUG planned activities have the highest priority, then first come, first serve. UG will decide when there is a dispute. Requests for use should be made underneath here.