Grants:TPS/Jim Carter/Lua Annual Workshop
This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
I am an active Wikipedian, an Arbitration Committee clerk and the youngest member of English Wikipedia community in India. I have a global edit count of over 22000 edits and have high expertise with technical aspects of Wikipedia. I have registered to participate in the Lua 2016 workshop which is meant to allow the Lua community to get together and meet in person and talk about the Lua language, its uses, and its implementation. On Wikipedia we use Lua module as a backend of most of the high used templates. To make it more efficient and implement it as user gadget I would like to talk with the Lua developers to work on making Lua more beneficent on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia sister projects.
Goal and expected impact
Lua developers would likely be more interested to work on improving Lua usage on Wikipedia. As an Indic Wikipedian, none of the Indic language Wikipedias uses Lua as their backend for the templates. As a result of my attending, I would be helping Indic community with framing and understanding Lua scripting. The possibilities are higher that the developers would be interested to work on Wikipedia. Implementation of Lua in a never before imagined way, including — using Lua as usergadgets. High possibilities of many new editors joining Wikipedia. Making a relation between Wikipedia and Lua team. Feedback about usage of Lua on Wikimedia projects.
- travel (round trip airfare from Kolkata to San Francisco): USD 1587
- accommodation: USD 89 per night x 3 nights = USD 267
- I will manage meals.
- Visa fees: USD 190
- Local travel charges: USD 80
- Registration is free
- Speaker charges is free
- I would like WMF to book cheapest flights and hotels for me.
- I would like WMF to make arrangements of as less expense as possible, 2100 USD just an estimation.
- Jim carter is one of the youngest active wikipedian from India. I have discussed with him about policy, article writing, stewardship and tools . He has guided me to contribute more in Wikimedia projects. As far as i know, he is good in python and has contributed technically, especially collaborated with other wikimedians in Wikiconference 2016. I hope this Lua workshop will help him to learn more about Lua and transfer the knowledge to indian wiki community. - தமிழ்க்குரிசில் (talk) 15:44, 12 August 2016 (UTC)
- Jim has expertise's in Lua. So I think it will appropriate for him to conduct this workshop Suyogaerospace (talk) 08:13, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
- Jim Carter is one of the youngest Wikimedian in India and he has consistently been one of the most active contributors to Wikimedia movement in several ways. Investing in people like Jim Carter would be great value for money. I'm sure Jim Carter will deliver more than what he promises. I stongly support this grant application as volunteers like Jim deserve such international exposure. Sankoswal (talk) 09:07, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
- I met Jim Carter during the recently concluded Wikiconference India 2016 (Chandigarh, India 5th - 7th August 2016) and found him a highly pro-active person involved deeply with Wikimedia movement. I am confident that his participation will add value to Wikimedia movement, particularly the Indian community of different languages shall be benefited. I strongly recommend for approval of his grant application. --Bhadani (talk) 13:55, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Definitely would be a net profit to the Indian community. Personally met Jim using the WCI2016 and can vouch this visit would be useful. Recommended. ƬheStrikeΣagle 01:35, 14 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Jim is an asset for the Indian community, moreover, he is passionate about LUNA. To simply things further, "APPROVE THIS", this would only do good to the Indian Community. Abhinav619 07:08, 14 August 2016 (UTC)