Welcome back from Wikimania 2019!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Add a link here to a blog post or newsletter you wrote about your participation afterwards, or to a meet-up you organized to share your experience with your local community.
My Expectations; Experience;Outcome
One captivation thing that caught my excitement for this years Wikimania this year was the theme around the Sustainable development goals. It was for this reason, I co-led a space for the Environmental Sustainability track here with Lukas Mezger of Wikimedia Deutschland.
- Camilia to participate in the inter wiki women campaign which run from October to November.
- Connected with Paulo to discuss plans in strengthening a Wikimedia Community in Guinea- bisau
- Sam Oye to run the Afrocine month edit-a-thon
- Amir to revamp the Akan wikipedia, we are looking at correcting erros to ensure proper representation of Fante language
- Met Rupika, Christel and Kelly (AfroCROWDUk)
- Received my laptop from the Wikimedia Foundation via Asaf
- Working with Asaf and Erina to help share list of credible sites here for Africans since this issue has been a burden for the region.
- The Wikimedians for Sustainable Development was birthed as a result of inputs from the spaces and goal on ensuring sustainability on discussions and initiatives yet to be implemented.
- After organising a great Wiki Strategy Salon for my Community in Ghana, my team at Open Foundation West Africa has been granted he opportunity to have a second phase of the salon in 2020.
- I am happy to have met the Board Chair of Wikimedia Norge, Hogne Neteland were we connected for the first time after their chapter made a drone donation to benefit the Ghanaian community. here; Glad to have shared some ideas with him to strengthen our future collaborations on GLAM related activities.
- I made connections with the team from FridaysForFuture were we had presentations centered on climate action.
- Glad I was interviewed by WMSE through Gitta who shared my experiences and reasons why I took up the role as a co+ lead for a space on Environmental Sustainability. Yes, I'm an open advocate and also a long time environmental activist who is keen on using Wikimedia projects to teach about Climate and sustainability.Read about the interview here
- It was also an honor to meet and exchange ideas with old time Wikimedians and of course new one's. Looking forward to a brighter coming year to implement all collaborative ideas which have been pinned.
I am very much excited on how we had a different approach at this years learning days. Its just unfortunate I missed the first half day of the training due to the limiting days i had prior to my travel which affected my itinerary. I will advise that participants for learning days should always have some free days to facilitate more room for visas issued in order to prepare participants in advance for the learning days.
I would also like to say the food was quite problematic there should have been variety with protein and carbohydrate foods. There should also be consideration for ulcer participants who may have to eat at certain times. That notwithstanding the conference was great and i am glad to have been a co-space lead for the program. Its always a learning experience with Wikimedians.