Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome back from Wikimania 2016!
Home wiki: Arabic Wikipedia
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Add a link here to a blog post or newsletter you wrote about your participation afterwards, or to a meet-up you organized to share your experience with your local community.
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to a new tool that you and your co-participants worked on at the Hackathon, or to pages created in a workshop you participated in).
- In the Learning Days, I collaborated with a group of amazing Wikimedians to identify a challenge that relates to all of us. We chose convincing teachers to use Wikipedia as a teaching tool since we agreed that this takes the first priority. We brainstormed and discussed our solutions then uploaded them to Idea Lab to develop it in the future. (link)
- Another idea that came up while talking with another great Wikimedian was WikiCare. The idea is also up on idea lab. (link)
- One of my goals this Wikimania was to learn more about GLAMs since I’m intending to start the first GLAM in Egypt. I've met Alex Stinson at Wikimania and, with his help, I’m in the preparation phase where I use all the tips I got to select candidate institutions.
- Vassia’s poster and talk about how to start and proceed with 100wikidays made me very interested. I’m compiling my 100Wikidays article list.
- I had conversations with Wikipedians from Turkey & India who want to start WEPs in their countries. I shared material and tips. I also introduced them to the Education Collaborative for further help.
- Discussions about connecting developers and users were also very interesting. I mentioned in my blog post that this should be developed into some workshop/meeting for next Wikimania.
- Tilman Bayer is also one of the valuable connections I have regarding the research I'm currently trying to get involved in.
- I'm also very interested in organizing a wikidojo and Nikola Kalchev is helping me with tips about this.
Update: With Nikola' help, I organized the first Wikidojo in Egypt during our local WEP conference (July 31st, 2016). A separate report on this will follow soon.
- Added +120 pictures of Wikimania to Commons. (my contributions)
- Co-presented Egyptian Wikimedians & co-organized Egyptian Wikimedians table at the Community Village with my fellow Wikimeidan Walaa Abd Al-Mon’em. (pic & the final product). This helped promoting our activities and getting more people interested in collaborations.
- Helped organizing group activities during Creative Program Design training session.
- Prepared flyers & posters about Wikipedia Education Program in Egypt.
- Put together brochures about Wikipedia Education Collaborative.
- Participated in the Arab Wikimedians meetup.
- Participated in the Education meetup.
- Participated in the WikiAfrica meetup.
- Participated in the two Learning Days.
- Promoted WEP through giving material and talking about it to Il Post reporter.
- Connected Dutch Wikipedians to an Arab-Dutch Wikipedian to collaborate in Dutch heritage project.
- Interviewed by Zachary McCune about Wikimedia/Wikipedia brand.
- Invited my fellow editors to work on Esino Lario’s AR Wiki article. We are still working on translating the content.