Grants:TPS/Sivakosaran/Global Voices Summit 2017/Report
This Wikimedia Participation Support report has been accepted by the Wikimedia Participation Support Committee.To see the original request, please visit Grants:TPS/Sivakosaran/Global Voices Summit 2017.
Global Voices Summit 2017
We, Sivakosaran & Mayooranathan conducted a presentation on general introduction to Wikipedia and the journey and current status of Tamil Wikipedia for 1 hour, followed by a session to show how to edit Wikipedia in your language with English Wikipedia as an example. 10 participants attended each event, including 2 Wikipedians from Colombo - Rahman & Azeez.
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Add a link here to a blog post or newsletter you wrote about your participation afterwards, or to a meet-up you organized to share your experience with your local community.
- Option 2: Learning Pattern: What is one useful learning pattern you can share with the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to a learning pattern - either a new pattern you created with insights from your participation, or an existing pattern to which you added your endorsement and some significant new "considerations" or “examples” from your experience.
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome of the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to a new tool that you and your co-participants made as a result of attending this event, or to a set of articles that the participants in your workshop created at the event).
- Meeting 2 Wikipedians from Colombo, especially meeting User:Rehman who moderate the UG-LK usergroup was very useful. It was decided that Mr. Mayooranathan to act as president and Mr. Sivakosaran to act as Vice President for the UG-LK usergroup for Tamil medium activities of the group in Sri Lanka. It was a great opportunity for the 4 Wikipedians to meet in person and discuss future collaborations.
- Link: Sri Lanka User Group
- An article was created on the topic of Global Voices Summit for the purpose of introducing Wikipedia Editing in English Wikipedia. This article needs was later redirected to Global Voices page because it is not considered notable. Link: Edit History
- Sivakosaran participated in the panel discussion on the topic of 'Is Credibility Cross-Cultural?' with reference to Tamil Wikipedia editing. This was attended by over 20 persons and the participants were enthusiastic to hear about the Wikipedia experience.
|Expense Description||Amount (LKR)||Notes|
|Bus - Jaffna to Colombo - Mayooranathan||1300||Ticket Provided|
|Bus - Colombo to Jaffna - Mayooranathan||1300||Ticket Provided|
|Taxi - Friend's Place To Event Location - Mayooranathan||450||Ticket Not Provided|
|Taxi - From Event Location to Bus - Mayooranathan||480||Ticket Not Provided|
|Taxi - Home To Railway Station - Sivakosaran||200||Ticket Not Provided|
|Train - Jaffna to Colombo - Sivakosaran||520||Ticket Provided|
|Taxi - Railway Station to Friend's Place - Sivakosaran||600||Ticket Not Provided|
|Taxi - Friend's Place to Event Location - Sivakosaran||450||Ticket Not Provided|
|Taxi - Event Location to Friend's Place - Sivakosaran||500||Ticket Not Provided|
|Taxi - Friend's Place to Bus Stand - Sivakosaran||150||Ticket Not Provided|
|Bus - Colombo to Jaffna - Sivakosaran||1300||Ticket Provided|
|Taxi - Bus Stand to Home - Sivakosaran||600||Ticket Not Provided|
|Total Amount Spent||7850|
Amount left over
I did not get the amount in advance.
Sivakosaran and Mayooranathan will share the experience in a local meetup, likely within a month.
The photos were shared by Rehman: GV Summit 2017 Photos
Exchange Rate as at 17 Dec 2017: 1 USD = 151.18 LKR. Link: Exchange Rate of Central Bank of Sri Lanka