Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka
|Languages:||English · தமிழ்|
Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka (officially abbreviated as UG-LK) is a non-profit community with an aim of unifying, empowering, and growing the Wikimedian community in Sri Lanka. The initial objectives of this community includes increasing awareness of Wikimedia and its projects, introducing more people to the editing environment, and scaling-up the coverage on Sri Lankan history, geography, and other key topics. Future plans include holding edit-a-thons and collaborating with the local government to digitize and upload historic documents, photographs, and other information.
- 1 Wikipedia Projects
- 2 Present working committee
- 3 Projects
- 4 Usergroup assets
- 5 Future plans
- 6 Reports and Resolutions
- 7 See also
|Language||Wikimedia Project||Articles||Files||Pages||Users||Active users||Admins||Edits|
Present working committee
List of members
- Although not mandatory, you are also strongly encouraged to subscribe to the Wikimedia-LK mailing list to stay up-to-date with community discussions.
Please add your name at the bottom of the table. Other than to maintain a friendly and collaborative environment, there are no special requirements or commitments to join. Any active Wikimedian, including editors currently living outside Sri Lanka are welcomed to be a part of Wikimedia Sri Lanka. Editors who are globally inactive for over 6 months, may be removed from this list.
Global Voices Summit 2017
UG-LK was invited to conduct two sessions during the annual Global Voices Summit held on 2nd December and 3rd December 2017, at Trace Expert City, in Colombo, Sri Lanka. A large number of GV participants from 68+ countries attended the conference. Wikimedians from Colombo and Jaffna conducted two sessions during this conference.
The first 1hr session Creating and sharing Free Knowledge through Wikipedia Tamil was conducted by User:Mayooranathan and User:Sivakosaran, while the second 1.5hr session Getting Started: Editing Wikipedia in Your Language was conducted together with User:Rehman and User:Azeez.
A total of at least 6 Wikimedians attended the summit, including 4 UG-LK members, User:Barrioflores from Global Voices (who helped us secure our session slots in the first place), and User:Psubhashish from India. Printed Wikimedia tshirts were distributed to the four UG-LK members, while the balance were given to User:Sivakosaran, for distribution to members in Jaffna as Jaffna is approximately 400KM away. Wikimedia accessories were handed over to members and session participants. Two banners were also printed and utilized during the sessions.
User:Azeez handled the designing of tshirts and banners, including maintaining a uniform theme during the Wikimedia sessions (i.e. general colour theme, usergroup wallpaper, etc).
Below are some photographs from the sessions. The full collection can be found here.
Photowalks covering tallest structures in Colombo
Obtaining of new/updated photos of the tallest structures in Colombo, for uploading on Commons. The photowalk was conducted over a span of two days (March 9th and March 12st) by User:Rehman and User:Azeez, with the intention of being a sample photowalk for the UGLK community, and hopefully to encourage for more members to organize and/or participate in offline events.
Day 2 of 2
- 12 March 2017
- See the full collection here
Day 1 of 2
- 9 March 2017
- See the full collection here
WMF-funded photographic equipment is available for use by members of usergroup who are established at one or more Wikimedia projects. The equipment (consisting of a Nikon P900 and various accessories) can be used by members of the usergroup to add or improve topics across the Wikimedia projects. Please click here for more information.
- Notify existing local editors, and hold first meetup and edit-a-thon to get the group together
- Introduce professionals from the Department of Archives, National Museums, and more...
- Introduce the Wikipedias to undergrads/university students at places like National Youth Service Centre
Reports and Resolutions
- 2016-02-18 - Recognition Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka
- 2017-01-14 - Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Photo equipment
- 2017-02-17 - 2016 Annual Report
- 2017-10-27 - Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Global Voices Conference 2017
- 2018-02-17 - 2017 Annual Report
- Wikimedia-LK Mailing List
- Sinhala - English Wikibooks; Project needing help, teaches how to speak Sinhalese
- History of Sri Lanka - English Wikiversity
Workshops/ Training Programmes Conducted in Sri Lanka
- Tamil Wikipedia- Noolaham Training Programme, at Hatton 29, August, 2017. Link: Ta:WP:2017 Upcountry Wiki Noolaham Workshop