Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Sri Lanka/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Overall, the project is a success, and we managed to exceed targets.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|100 new users||947 new users (1,001 participants)||Achieved 9 times the target.|
|1,000 uploads||5,713 uploads||Achieved 5 times the target. 4th highest number of submissions worldwide.|
|50 photos in use across projects||187 files used in 473 pages, across 89 wikis||This is organic usage. This will be further increased once we intentionally add the files to related pages.|
|20 natural sites photographed||6 in Top 10, more than 20 across all uploads||Looking at the ~5,700 uploads, it is highly likely that we have surpassed the target.|
- Our public landing page: WLE-LK
- Our internal project page: WLE2020 (see here for full winner list)
- Grant request page: Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Sri Lanka
- Organiser, grantee, preselection member: User:Rehman
- Organiser, graphics/media, preselection member: User:Azeez
- Jury members: Rehman (LK), Azeez (HK), Sivakosaran (LK), Sandaru (LK), Nandana (LK), Dan Arndt (AU).
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
- The sitenotice banner alone is very effective in getting the attention of potential participants.
- Not dealing with physical prizes (and an in-person award ceremony) saves a lot of time, money, and hassle.
What did not work so well?
- Covid-19 and related events had an impact on the availability of most of our volunteers. This was unavoidable, but in the end we had met all targets
What would you do differently next time?
- Make enabling emails a mandatory criteria for future contests. There were no other way (apart from talkpage) to contact some of the winners.
- We hope to get some automation done with regards to categorisation next year, and maybe also with SDC.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Subject||Cost (LKR) ||Cost (USD) |
|Prize - 1st Place - Amazon.com voucher worth LKR 50,000.00||Rs. 48,902.88||$ 255.27|
|Prize - 2nd Place - CameraLK voucher worth LKR 40,000.00||Rs. 40,000.00||$ 208.80|
|Prize - 3rd Place - Voucher worth LKR 35,000||Rs. 0.00||$ 0.00|
|Prize - Most Uploads - CameraLK voucher worth LKR 15,000||Rs. 15,000.00||$ 78.30|
|Prize - Best Flora Closeup - Voucher worth LKR 15,000||Rs. 0.00||$ 0.00|
|Prize - Best Fauna Closeup - Nikon voucher worth LKR 15,000||Rs. 15,000.00||$ 78.30|
|Prize - Best Landscape - Voucher worth LKR 15,000||Rs. 0.00||$ 0.00|
|Facebook advertising||Rs. 0.00||$ 0.00|
|Organising logistics||Rs. 11,197.60||$ 58.45|
|Certificate and souvenir printing||Rs. 5,100.00||$ 26.62|
|Certificate and prize courier||Rs. 15,940.13||$ 83.21|
|Incidental: Internet data charges for 3 months||Rs. 29,109.54||$ 151.95|
|Incidental: Stationary||Rs. 3,400.00||$ 17.75|
|Total||Rs. 183,650.15||$ 958.65|
The above is a summary of expenses. Detailed breakdowns is/will be sent to the Grants team in spreadsheet format.
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes. Approximately 31% of the original grant funds are remaining (81,897.67 LKR). As in the past, we hope to conduct a photowalk between now and late-March (when the weather is mostly clear), or use the funds to replace ageing usergroup assets. The options will be assessed further, and discussed with the grants team in due course.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- To improve the prizes, we decided to include a souvenir within the post - a printed A4 photo of their winning photograph(s).
- Of the 5 uncontactable winners, 3 of them were supposed to receive vouchers (LKR 35,000, LKR 15,000, LKR 15,000). The vouchers were not purchased due to the lack of any other means of contact.