Talk:Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka/English
- 1 Stronger team
- 2 Stick a note
- 3 Working committee for each language community
- 4 First project
- 5 Photo equipment for Usergroup Sri Lanka
- 6 Wikipedia Asian Month
- 7 GlobalVoices summit
- 8 Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Direction/Endorsement
- 9 Balance project funds
- 10 Inviting you to participate in the women editing contest "The women you have never met"
- 11 Multi-language support
- 12 Share your feedback in this global Wikimedia survey
- 13 Inauguration Program of Wiki Club in Sri Lanka
- 14 Possible spambots from AOL domain emails
- Question: Can Wikiversity be included under "Wikimedia Projects"? I'm currently working on Sri Lankan History down there. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 00:13, 31 December 2015 (UTC)
- Also... I can't attend any meetups... since I don't live in Colombo, or Sri Lanka itself (but my nationality is Sri Lanka). --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 00:28, 31 December 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, Wikiversity is a Wikimedia project. Also, there is no such requirement where members must attend meetings. :) I will add these points to the main page so others would not be confused as well. Thanks for bringing this up. Cheers, Rehman 01:16, 1 January 2016 (UTC)
- It's not possible, as far as I know... I looked everywhere for codes for other projects, but was only able to find for Wikipedias... :( Rehman 00:24, 2 January 2016 (UTC)
Stick a note
- We really should! Sadly though, I don't speak both of those languages... so I can't really do that. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 12:14, 29 January 2016 (UTC)
- You could do in English since most of them they are good in English and they do get messages in English. Here are the links: Miscellaneous and Notices --AntanO 13:54, 29 January 2016 (UTC)
Working committee for each language community
Hello. Anyone interested in filling any of the roles (i.e. President, etc) of each language community? The positions sounds like a big deal, but it's really not. We need friendly volunteers who can lead their respective language groups in future projects/events, and also to assist with translations if necessary. This will make things easier for each language groups while enabling a wider communication reach. Some slots (secretary, treasurer, etc) are not really required currently, but will be needed once we decide to hold offline activities. But you are still welcomed to volunteer!
Since volunteers in these positions will need to guide their communities, please consider volunteering only if you have sufficient experience in the Wikimedia projects. I don't really have a definition of "sufficient", but I'd say maybe above 1000 edits, clean block history, good understanding of copyright, good experience in writing articles, and most importantly a very friendly and welcoming personality :) Please reply here, or email me, if you have any questions. Best regards, Rehman 09:34, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
- Pinging currently signed-up editors: User:Azeez, User:Atcovi, User:Blackknight12, User:Dan_arndt, User:L Manju, User:மதனாஹரன், User:Shriheeran, User:Shrikarsan, User:Maathavan, User:சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார், User:Sivakosaran, User:LionsRule125, User:පසිඳු කාවින්ද, User:UMDP, User:Sandaru. Please also do let your friends know! :-) You may also be interested in the section below. Yours, Rehman 11:56, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
Hello again. While we decide on the working committee, since we now have a good number of local editors, do you have any suggestions on what should be our first project(s)? I think we should start with online projects/events first, and then move to offline once we get to know each other better. :) For a start, I know we need a lot of hands in updating the coodinates of Sri Lankan landmarks on Wikidata, and also to get pictures of various subjects around the country on Commons. But does anyone have any other suggestions?
Any projects within the scope of the three official languages are welcome. Please also feel free to start your own project in your language community... You can start by pinging/discussing with your language community members by simply creating a subpage to coordinate participants and tasks. And as always, feel free to post questions here, or email me. Best regards, Rehman 09:37, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
- Definitely need some improvements on WV's (English) Sri Lankan projects: wv:History of Sri Lanka. As of now in the US, school has started, so I won't be online to do a lot of Sri Lanka-related projects. But, what I'm planning on doing for the WV's page is to organize a list of prime ministers/presidents, and then biographies of the prime ministers/presidents from various sources. That's the plan, but I'm not quite sure when I will be able to act upon that plan... possibly when the breaks/holidays come? Thanks, and help on these projects are appreciated. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 15:13, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
Photo equipment for Usergroup Sri Lanka
Hello everyone. Please see Rapid Grant request Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Photo equipment for obtaining photo equipment to be used by this usergroup. Please do endorse it if you feel it helps improve our content. Thank you, Rehman 15:26, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
- Supported. Dan arndt (talk) 04:18, 11 October 2016 (UTC)
- Pinging currently signed-up editors: User:Azeez, User:Atcovi, User:Blackknight12, User:L Manju, User:மதனாஹரன், User:Shriheeran, User:Shrikarsan, User:Maathavan, User:சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார், User:Sivakosaran, User:LionsRule125, User:පසිඳු කාවින්ද, User:UMDP, User:Sandaru. Your endorsement on the grant page is required to get it off the ground :-) Rehman 14:59, 8 December 2016 (UTC)
- Hi again. So we finally got the stuff sorted last week! Appreciate if you could help pass on the message to the Sinhala and Tamil communities. I have already posted on the WikiProject page on the English Wikipedia. Ping: User:Azeez, User:Atcovi, User:Blackknight12, User:L Manju, User:மதனாஹரன், User:Shriheeran, User:Shrikarsan, User:Maathavan, User:சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார், User:Sivakosaran, User:LionsRule125, User:පසිඳු කාවින්ද, User:UMDP, User:Sandaru. More details about the eqipment can be found here. The grants team recommended that some level of threshold be placed in order to ensure that access to the equipments is only to safe hands. Please do review and let me know what you think. Best regards, Rehman 15:04, 5 March 2017 (UTC)
Wikipedia Asian Month
- For some, this would be easy... but for others like me, it wouldn't. I don't contribute to any Wikipedia as of right now. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 13:38, 29 October 2016 (UTC)
- Posting here, for those of you who are not subscribed to Wikimedia-LK.
Hi everyone! The Global Voices team has decided to hold their 2017 conference in Colombo, on December 2nd and 3rd. As per the email from one of the organizers, it would be great if we could have a group of representatives from our Usergroup to participate in the conference.
So far, one person has expressed interest from our group. I'm hoping we could have at least 3... I won't be able to make it, as it is a busy time for me. If you are interested, please private-email me your full name and mobile number. I will then collate and pass on the info to Eddie from the GlobalVoices team.
What we present there is up to the participants... We could talk about how the Sinhala/Tamil/English Wikimedia communities from Sri Lanka are working on selected projects, and their outcomes. Ideas are open.
Hi. Please see the above grant request, for obtaining funds to obtain usergroup banners and other merchandise to encourage participation. Please considering endorsing it, if you support the request. Thanks, Rehman 15:47, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
Balance project funds
Hello everyone. Following the GV2017 project, we have LKR 22,000 of balance funds. If you have any projects in mind, please feel free to suggest a new project on the projects subpage, or start a discussion below. Best wishes, Rehman 02:34, 27 December 2017 (UTC)
- Hello again. As I have not received any suggestions, and as we have to urgently provide a plan to the grants team, I will suggest utilising the balance funds to obtain updated quality photographs of power stations and dams in Sri Lanka (as those are topics I am quite familiar with). I will also do my best to cover other topics enroute. If you have any suggestions, please let me know here. I will also open a new project section, so that photo requests can be accepted. Cheers, Rehman 15:04, 1 February 2018 (UTC)
Inviting you to participate in the women editing contest "The women you have never met"
Dear Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka!
Hope this message finds you all well :) On behalf of Iberocoop network I want to invite you to be part of the women editing contest we are organizing along with many other chapters and user groups in the movement. You are doing an excellent work on your local context and we will be so pleased to have you on board. In this very early stage, we are asking the organizations to add their interest in the following meta page Hope to see you there soon! Hugs----Anna Torres (WMAR) --Anna Torres (WMAR) (talk) 15:31, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
Hey everyone. I'm happy to let you know that I have added support for 3 languages for all pages in the usergroup. I've did my best in adding translations for the menus (via machine translation), hence there is still a lot more translations to do (to Sinhala and Tamil). Please do help if you can :-) Btw, today (17th) marks two years since the usergroup was officially recognised! Best regards, Rehman 02:51, 17 February 2018 (UTC)
Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,
My name is María Cruz and I work for the Wikimedia Foundation on the Learning and Evaluation team. In one week or so, the Foundation is starting a global survey to learn about the experiences and feedback of Wikimedians. I am writing here, because I wanted to share with you a bit more about the project.
The survey is called "Wikimedia Communities and Contributors" and is conducted annually. We will send the survey to editors across all the Wikimedia projects, as well as Wikimedia affiliates and volunteer developers. This survey is going to be our way of making sure that we can hear feedback from a significant number of users from across the projects. This research supports editors and Wikipedia’s mission. This is our second annual CE Insights survey, and we look forward to improving it every year.
We will be contacting 2 people from each affiliate, based on the primary contact information that we have. Each affiliate will receive an additional third link which they can distribute to any leader in their chapter or user group.
Go to the project page to see the results of last year’s survey, and to see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support communities. You can sign up to be notified about the results of the survey, or to learn how you can help with planning the survey next year.
If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please feel free to send them to Edward Galvez's talk page on Meta-Wiki or email him directly at surveyswikimedia · org in any language. You can learn more about this project and read about frequently asked questions. You can also share your feedback on Meta-Wiki.
Thank you for your time supporting this project!
Inauguration Program of Wiki Club in Sri Lanka
Dear All you will be happy to know that Sri Jayewardenepura University Srilanka are going to open a Wiki Club on 9 May 2018 and they have arranged a small inauguration Program in their campus . From the beginning i am coordinating this WEP, as they are going to Contribute in Wikimedia Movement its a very pleasure for us. I have already informed Rehman about this Program. If any other Wikimedian from UG LK joined the inauguration Program it will be great. i will Update the Full Program Schedule here. You can also sort out some info from Sri Jayewardenepura University Wiki Club. Thanks. Mohammed Galib Hasan (talk) 06:29, 1 May 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks Galib. Please also do post on the mailing list for a wider reach. If anyone has a way of joining this, please do. I am sure it will help and encourage the community. My RL schedules are insane these days, so I cannot guarantee my attendance unfortunately. :-( Rehman 14:52, 1 May 2018 (UTC)
- Hello again. I was able to secure a short leave from my workplace today, hence I will attend the program :-) I also have some extra Wikipedia accessories with me (stickers and usergroup tshirts); I'll be getting them so that the organisers can probably hand them out for free for some future competitions/etc. Cheers, Rehman 03:04, 9 May 2018 (UTC)
Possible spambots from AOL domain emails
Hello. A large number of email addresses from @aol.com recently subscribed to our mailing list (they all have set only first names - American names). To protect privacy, I've removed them and changed some technical mailing list rules. If you believe they are legitimate requests, let me know, and I shall do the needful. Cheers! Rehman 06:09, 7 May 2018 (UTC)