Talk:Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka
- 1 Stronger team
- 2 Stick a note
- 3 Working committee for each language community
- 4 First project
- 5 Photo equipment for Usergroup Sri Lanka
- 6 Wikipedia Asian Month
- 7 De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance
- 8 Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- 9 Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- 10 We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
- 11 Wikipedia for Peace Berlin 4.-18. July 2017
- 12 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections
- 13 Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections
- 14 Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)
- 15 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections
- 16 GlobalVoices summit
- 17 Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Direction/Endorsement
- 18 Learning Quarterly: October 2017
- 19 Balance project funds
- Question: Can Wikiversity be included under "Wikimedia Projects"? I'm currently working on Sri Lankan History down there. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 00:13, 31 December 2015 (UTC)
- Also... I can't attend any meetups... since I don't live in Colombo, or Sri Lanka itself (but my nationality is Sri Lanka). --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 00:28, 31 December 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, Wikiversity is a Wikimedia project. Also, there is no such requirement where members must attend meetings. :) I will add these points to the main page so others would not be confused as well. Thanks for bringing this up. Cheers, Rehman 01:16, 1 January 2016 (UTC)
- It's not possible, as far as I know... I looked everywhere for codes for other projects, but was only able to find for Wikipedias... :( Rehman 00:24, 2 January 2016 (UTC)
Stick a note
- We really should! Sadly though, I don't speak both of those languages... so I can't really do that. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 12:14, 29 January 2016 (UTC)
- You could do in English since most of them they are good in English and they do get messages in English. Here are the links: Miscellaneous and Notices --AntanO 13:54, 29 January 2016 (UTC)
Working committee for each language community
Hello. Anyone interested in filling any of the roles (i.e. President, etc) of each language community? The positions sounds like a big deal, but it's really not. We need friendly volunteers who can lead their respective language groups in future projects/events, and also to assist with translations if necessary. This will make things easier for each language groups while enabling a wider communication reach. Some slots (secretary, treasurer, etc) are not really required currently, but will be needed once we decide to hold offline activities. But you are still welcomed to volunteer!
Since volunteers in these positions will need to guide their communities, please consider volunteering only if you have sufficient experience in the Wikimedia projects. I don't really have a definition of "sufficient", but I'd say maybe above 1000 edits, clean block history, good understanding of copyright, good experience in writing articles, and most importantly a very friendly and welcoming personality :) Please reply here, or email me, if you have any questions. Best regards, Rehman 09:34, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
- Pinging currently signed-up editors: User:Azeez, User:Atcovi, User:Blackknight12, User:Dan_arndt, User:L Manju, User:மதனாஹரன், User:Shriheeran, User:Shrikarsan, User:Maathavan, User:சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார், User:Sivakosaran, User:LionsRule125, User:පසිඳු කාවින්ද, User:UMDP, User:Sandaru. Please also do let your friends know! :-) You may also be interested in the section below. Yours, Rehman 11:56, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
Hello again. While we decide on the working committee, since we now have a good number of local editors, do you have any suggestions on what should be our first project(s)? I think we should start with online projects/events first, and then move to offline once we get to know each other better. :) For a start, I know we need a lot of hands in updating the coodinates of Sri Lankan landmarks on Wikidata, and also to get pictures of various subjects around the country on Commons. But does anyone have any other suggestions?
Any projects within the scope of the three official languages are welcome. Please also feel free to start your own project in your language community... You can start by pinging/discussing with your language community members by simply creating a subpage to coordinate participants and tasks. And as always, feel free to post questions here, or email me. Best regards, Rehman 09:37, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
- Definitely need some improvements on WV's (English) Sri Lankan projects: wv:History of Sri Lanka. As of now in the US, school has started, so I won't be online to do a lot of Sri Lanka-related projects. But, what I'm planning on doing for the WV's page is to organize a list of prime ministers/presidents, and then biographies of the prime ministers/presidents from various sources. That's the plan, but I'm not quite sure when I will be able to act upon that plan... possibly when the breaks/holidays come? Thanks, and help on these projects are appreciated. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 15:13, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
Photo equipment for Usergroup Sri Lanka
Hello everyone. Please see Rapid Grant request Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Photo equipment for obtaining photo equipment to be used by this usergroup. Please do endorse it if you feel it helps improve our content. Thank you, Rehman 15:26, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
- Supported. Dan arndt (talk) 04:18, 11 October 2016 (UTC)
- Pinging currently signed-up editors: User:Azeez, User:Atcovi, User:Blackknight12, User:L Manju, User:மதனாஹரன், User:Shriheeran, User:Shrikarsan, User:Maathavan, User:சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார், User:Sivakosaran, User:LionsRule125, User:පසිඳු කාවින්ද, User:UMDP, User:Sandaru. Your endorsement on the grant page is required to get it off the ground :-) Rehman 14:59, 8 December 2016 (UTC)
- Hi again. So we finally got the stuff sorted last week! Appreciate if you could help pass on the message to the Sinhala and Tamil communities. I have already posted on the WikiProject page on the English Wikipedia. Ping: User:Azeez, User:Atcovi, User:Blackknight12, User:L Manju, User:மதனாஹரன், User:Shriheeran, User:Shrikarsan, User:Maathavan, User:சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார், User:Sivakosaran, User:LionsRule125, User:පසිඳු කාවින්ද, User:UMDP, User:Sandaru. More details about the eqipment can be found here. The grants team recommended that some level of threshold be placed in order to ensure that access to the equipments is only to safe hands. Please do review and let me know what you think. Best regards, Rehman 15:04, 5 March 2017 (UTC)
Wikipedia Asian Month
- For some, this would be easy... but for others like me, it wouldn't. I don't contribute to any Wikipedia as of right now. --Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 13:38, 29 October 2016 (UTC)
De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance
Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization, or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission. While most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards set forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol has been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia affiliate does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia movement.
In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from Wikimedia Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a handful of chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a result, in the coming days and months, a small number of chapters that have been unable to return to compliance through their efforts in the past year will not have their chapter agreements renewed. As a consequence, these organizations will no longer have the additional rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks, including the Wikimedia name, that had been granted under those agreements.
If you have questions about what this means for community members in the affected affiliates’ region or language areas, we have put together a basic FAQ. The FAQ talk page is available for additional questions and comments, and the Affiliations Committee is happy to answer questions directly.
Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.
This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.
The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:
- Update 1 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (15 December 2016)
- Introduction to process and information about budget spending resolution to support it
- Update 2 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (23 December 2016)
- Start of search for Lead Architect for movement strategy process
- Update 3 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (8 January 2017)
- Plans for strategy sessions at upcoming Wikimedia Conference 2017
- Update 4 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (11 January 2017)
- Introduction of williamsworks
- Update 5 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 February 2017)
- The core movement strategy team, team tracks being developed, introduction of the Community Process Steering Committee, discussions at WikiIndaba conference 2017 and the Wikimedia movement affiliates executive directors gathering in Switzerland
- Update 6 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (10 February 2017)
- Tracks A & B process prototypes and providing feedback, updates on development of all four Tracks
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:
- Update 7 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (16 February 2017)
- Development of documentation for Tracks A & B
- Update 8 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (24 February 2017)
- Introduction of Track Leads for all four audience tracks
- Update 9 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 March 2017)
- Seeking feedback on documents being used to help facilitate upcoming community discussions
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
05:00, 18 March 2017 (UTC)
Wikipedia for Peace Berlin 4.-18. July 2017
Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.
The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.
The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).
We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.
Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.
The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.
The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.
- April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
- April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
- April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
- May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
- May 15–19 – Board vote checking
- May 20 – Board result announcement goal
In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:
- Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
- There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
- Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
- One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.
More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-electionswikimedia.org.MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 03:35, 7 April 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your language • Get help
19:02, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
19:24, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
21:03, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
- Posting here, for those of you who are not subscribed to Wikimedia-LK.
Hi everyone! The Global Voices team has decided to hold their 2017 conference in Colombo, on December 2nd and 3rd. As per the email from one of the organizers, it would be great if we could have a group of representatives from our Usergroup to participate in the conference.
So far, one person has expressed interest from our group. I'm hoping we could have at least 3... I won't be able to make it, as it is a busy time for me. If you are interested, please private-email me your full name and mobile number. I will then collate and pass on the info to Eddie from the GlobalVoices team.
What we present there is up to the participants... We could talk about how the Sinhala/Tamil/English Wikimedia communities from Sri Lanka are working on selected projects, and their outcomes. Ideas are open.
Hi. Please see the above grant request, for obtaining funds to obtain usergroup banners and other merchandise to encourage participation. Please considering endorsing it, if you support the request. Thanks, Rehman 15:47, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
Learning Quarterly: October 2017
L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 14 / October 2017
Leave your mark on Meta!
New AffCom corner, plus learning patterns you can contribute to.
Balance project funds
Hello everyone. Following the GV2017 project, we have LKR 22,000 of balance funds. If you have any projects in mind, please feel free to suggest a new project on the projects subpage, or start a discussion below. Best wishes, Rehman 02:34, 27 December 2017 (UTC)