Grants talk:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh/Report

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Hi Satdeep, Thank you for your hard work organizing this workshop and for writing such a thorough report. It sounds like this event was a great success. We have a few questions below that we hope will give us a better understanding of how the event helped your community meet its goals.

  • How many of the new editors continued to edit 3 months after the event? What kind of follow up are you doing to keep students and new editors at the event engaged in your community?
  • How many formerly active editors have become active again? What factors do you think influenced their choice to resume editing regularly?
  • Try using the [contribs tool] to see an overview of which participants have been editing the most in the months following the event. This might help you pick out promising new editors who could be easily encouraged to keep contributing.
  • It sounds like participants want to do a longer workshops. What do you think the benefits and drawbacks could be for having a longer workshop? Would you lose the benefit of mixing newcomers and veterans by making longer workshops?
  • It is great to see that the use of translation tools in Punjabi Wikipedia has increased from 8 to 23. Were there other increases in tool use that you noticed following the training?
  • We are so pleased to see that you used a survey to collect feedback from event participants. Is there anything you learned from the survey that you will use to plan future events?
  • It sounds like there were some challenges around traveling for the event. Do you find that the benefits of traveling for these workshops outweigh the drawbacks? Have you monitored the activity
  • Please endorse the learning pattern on mixing newcomers and veterans, and add an example from your grant so that others can learn from your experience.

Thank you again for your work on this project. Please hold on to the 42,201 INR remaining from this grant while we review your new proposal forJanuary 2016 Events. Cheers, --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 06:49, 23 December 2015 (UTC)

Hi Kacie, I will try to answer all the questions as good as possible:
  • At-least one new editor has remained active after the workshop. Sukhjinderpu has done 64 edits in the last 30 days. We organized a meetup in Chandigarh to follow up with the students. We also emailed everyone of them. Unfortunately they did not show up. Now we are planning to organize WikiConference India 2016 in Chandigarh and we will be doing more workshops to encourage more people to participate. So, we will organize one more workshop in the Panjab University to try and motivate previous participants.
  • At-least one previously active editor became very active after the workshop. User:Param Munde had created only 8 articles one year before the Workshop. He started editing only 3-4 days before the Workshop and has created 210 articles and all related to Physics since then. I believe the idea of Punjabi Wikipedia as a community(after hearing about the workshop) motivated him to start contributing again.
  • I just tried the tool and got some statistics. I will try to motivate the active editors to contribute more.
  • Some editors asked for longer workshops but i think right now we need more workshop rather than longer workshops. Longer workshops can be organized for just veteran editors maybe. Well, true i also think that we will lose the benefit of mixing newcomers and veterans by making longer workshops.
  • Use of HotCat has definitely increased. We don't have any metrics to record the increase of these tools unfortunately.
  • We learned that people prefer to work on one tool or one aspect at a time. We don't have to confuse the editors by telling them all about articles, categories, references, talkpages and other wikimedia projects at once. People prefer a presentation followed by a session to work on the tools taught in the presentation. This will help us in our future workshops.
  • It is definitely useful to travel to a workshop. The drawbacks were temporary as there was some unrest in the region in those few days. Meeting everybody in person is definitely a great thing and it actually helps in making Wikipedians a real community.
  • I have already endorsed the learning pattern.

Thanks a lot for giving us the opportunity to organize this event.

Regards --Satdeep Gill (talk) 06:37, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Reallocation of remaining funds for January meetup approved[edit]

Hello, Satdeep:

We are writing here to approve the reallocation of 1500 INR to spend on your 2 January meetup with about 20 participants to discuss the following topics:

  • January 2016 Patiala Meetup: (2 January 2016) Many things are required to be discussed.
  1. Discussions regarding future of Punjabi Wikimedians. (We are planning of setting up a permanent local space.)
  2. Selecting an appropriate delegate for Wikimedia Conference 2016.
  3. Encouraging and helping in filling Wikimania 2016 applications.
  4. Discussions related to the quality of Punjabi Wikipedia.
  5. Discussions about Punjabi Wiktionary, Punjabi Wikibooks, Punjabi Wikisource etc.
  6. Discussions regarding Wikipedia 15 celebration and Kotkapura Workshop.

Funds may be used on snacks and supplies for the meeting, as well as 1-2 travel scholarships if they are necessary. Please provide a brief report on the meeting outcomes here within two weeks of the meetup.

Accordingly, I'm removing this meetup from your open request currently under consideration. Please remember to answer Kacie's questions here when you can.

Cheers, Winifred Olliff (WMF Program Officer) talk 18:16, 28 December 2015 (UTC)

@Wolliff: You can check Meetup/Patiala/6 for the information regarding the meetup. If you still need more information, feel free to ask any questions.--Satdeep Gill (talk) 18:47, 7 January 2016 (UTC)

Update on remaining funds[edit]

As of 8 January 2016, 3,701 INR remains unspent from this project and is retained by the grantee with WMF's permission to be used for future WMF approved mission-aligned activities. Of the 42,201 INR remaining funds, 1,500 INR was spent on 3 January 2016 meetup (WMF reallocation approval above and agenda here) and 37,000 INR fully funded the January 2016 events grant. -- JTud (WMF), Grants Administrator (talk) 20:35, 8 January 2016 (UTC)

Noting here that, as of 20 May 2016, the remaining 3,701 INR unspent funds were deducted from the grant payment for Punjabi Wikimedians' new submission, Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wikimedians Infrastructure Support. -- JTud (WMF), Grants Administrator (talk) 18:08, 20 May 2016 (UTC)