Grants talk:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report/2014-02
WMF comments and questions about this report
Thank you for submitting this interim report. We were excited to learn about your progress!
Congratulations on already reaching 21,648 images uploaded! Are you planning on adjusting your targets for future years to reflect the potential of the program? It seems like you are building on your past work to create some good momentum with this program, and we look forward to the results. We enjoyed the animation you created showing the coverage of Czech villages during the course of this project, as well as the examples of photographs uploaded through this work. This helped bring your work to life through the report. We also liked the observation you shared about making sure that others were familiar with the project to make sure that volunteers could fill in when others had to drop out. We’d encourage you to create a learning pattern to share this experience with the community, as we think it could be applied to a lot of projects!
- In your grant request you mention that “Mediagrant benefits all projects that use images of Czech Republic-related pictures.” As you move forward in this work, we would encourage you to measure if and how many times the photos created are used on the Wikimedia projects (e.g. Czech Wikipedia), to show how the projects are benefiting from this.
- You mention that one of your targets is to “document 75% of Czech projected areas during the two-years time period”, and that you have photographed 115 protected areas so far. Would you please give us an idea of what percentage of protected areas 115 represents, so that we can understand your progress against this target?
- Congratulations on documenting 1,493 objects so far! Are you yet tracking the number of these objects that were previously undocumented, to get a better idea of how this project is increasing coverage of previously undocumented objects?
- You mention that having “a lot of people from outside the chapter interested in this project” is an important way that you understand the success of the project. If this is so, you might consider measuring how many people from outside the chapter get involved.
We also really liked the table format you used to tell us about the photographs and objects photographed for each topic area, and the table you used to report on your measures of success. This made it really easy to understand what you achieved. We look forward to more details about outcomes and impact in the final report. In the mean time, this report is accepted.
- Thank you for reading the report in such detail. As you know, most members of the management of the project have changed recently so will you kindly allow us more time to study your remarks. --Packa (talk) 17:34, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Hello Winifred, thank you for patience. We are glad you like our 21,648 images. We will probably adjust our target but first we would like to discuss it with the representatives of the 'Czech Municipalities' subtopic because they are planning to change their rules. If you enjoyed the animation, we will encourage its authors to make new versions.
- Regarding your bulleted remarks:
- The Mediagrant 2 committee checks that newly taken photographs are used in Wikipedia articles and encourages the participants to do so. We know the number of photographs is impressive but our main criterion is the number of newly documented objects (see the “Current long-term topics” table).
- We are aware of the fact that the number and percentage of protected areas cannot be calculated until the representatives of the 'Protected Areas' subtopic give us the total of protected areas in the country. We will mention it in our next report.
- There are 21,374 towns, villages and quarters in the Czech Republic so “our” 1,493 objects represent 7 %.
- We will try to calculate how many people outside the chapter have participated in the project. However, the number of participants is not the most important part of it - it's their contribution that is far more important.
- --Packa (talk) 12:44, 9 March 2015 (UTC)