Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report/2014-02
- Are you complying with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Do you expect this project to be completed by the date specified in the approved grant submission?
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
Activities and lessons learned
- Systematic photographic documentation of the Czech Republic - participants are reimbursed for the travel costs when they travel around the Czech Republic to take pictures for Commons. This attracts an ever-growing community of photographers as our country is full of keen fans of photography. The number of pictures uploaded this year (21,648) is comparable to the cumulative number of pictures uploaded in years 2010-2013 (28,192) and overcame our expectations 2-3 times. We do not have a simple explanation for that - it seems that the years of community building have paid out. This way, a project some of us considered to be "stable" and "unsurprising" has once again shown its efficiency and dynamics. See for example an animation of how Czech villages were documented during the course of the year.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects, or that may change the way you are doing this project?
- What went well, or is going well?
- The growth of community of photographers - and their activity - is enormous and pictures keep coming. We also learned that it is hard to maintain the interest and enthusiasm of the people governing the grant for several years as their priorities and time options change over the time. However, if changes in you organization happen, try to ensure continuity by keeping somebody from previous team. Such as person(s) will provide priceless advice for the new team. Therefore, try to be in touch with other members of community around "your grant" to have an option to fill in your grant's committee.
- We already highlighted this several times ago, but we think this is still useful and valuable. Use social networks to share information about your projects. We are still able attract new participators of our subgrants to join or show interest, mostly on those which never participated in editing Wikimedia projects before.
- What did not go well, or is not going well?
- We are lacking short events originally planned in the budget. Some are expected to take place in 2015 because we feel that they are an important part of what Mediagrant does. They did not take place because of unexpected lack of time of those originally responsible for these.
- Inside the chapter, a discussion started whether a village where a photo of an important monument is missing can be considered as sufficiently photographed. Participants had not come to a conclusion. Representatives of the 'Czech Municipalities' subtopic will attempt to clarify it.
- From your answers above, do you plan to change anything you are doing as your project continues?
- Some changes are made in the organizational structure. The "Eye" of Mediagrant, which has for years consisted of Pavel Hrdlička, Petr Brož and Vojtěch Dostál, changed its members to Pavel Hrdlička, Jitka Erbenová and Martin Myšička. This is expected to be a new push for the Mediagrant's development. These changes in the cast of Eye were per Petr Brož and Vojtěch Dostál requests as Petr's time options unexpected changed and Vojtěch started to work in management of the Czech chapter. For 2016 or further, we are considering new ways of running Mediagrant as a whole - by maintaining its community-driven operation but with a new, simpler organizational structure.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- The goal of "Mediagrant II" is to continue with the activities of Mediagrant as primary target and maintain and further develop existing community of photographers as our second objective.
- Do you expect to reach your project's goal? Why or why not?
- Yes, because a lot of people from outside the chapter are interested in this project.
Progress towards targets and goals
- See the table below.
Measures of success
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome (first half of the grant)|
|Continue to attract new participants||19 unique people took part in this part of the program, 6 of them newbies to the project.|
|Each year, create ~8000 pictures of previously undocumented sights||21 648 pictures were uploaded by participants.|
|Document 75% of Czech protected areas during the two-years time period||115 protected areas were documented|
|Photograph 500 "objects" (towns and villages) during the two-years time period||1 493 objects (towns and villages) were already documented|
|Maintain - and develop - the existing photographic communities both online (Facebook) and in real life (during workshops).||A successful workshop was organized in Přibyslav, leading to 900 uploaded pictures of a previously poorly documented area|
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
- The table below is a breakdown of the photographic achievements in the long-term 'topics' that we currently offer:
|Objects||Photographs||Expenditures CZK (claimed)||Paid out CZK|
|České zoologické zahrady||Czech Zoos||1||4||47||545||0|
|Foto českých obcí||Documentation of Czech Municipalities including the smallest ones||146||1 493||18 559||90 249||64 607 (2330 €)|
|Lidová tvořivost||Folk craft||3||8||1 012||4 100||2 240 (80 €)|
|Obrazová dokumentace chráněných území a památných stromů v ČR||Documentation of protected Natural Areas and Memorable Trees in the Czech Republic||21||115||1 583||9 870||6 902 (250 €)|
|Odborná fotografie||Scientific Photography||2||6||389||2 306||1252 (50 €)|
|Události||Documentation of important events in the Czech Republic||2||2||58||755||755 (30 €)|
|Vodstvo||Water bodies of the Czech Republic||0||0||0||0||0|
|Židovské památky||Documentation of Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic||0||0||0||0||0|
|Summary||175||1628||21 648||107 825||75 755 (2730 €)|
- The journey is not fully evaluated yet
- There will always be some difference between “Expenditures” and “Paid out” because there is always a time delay between recording expenditures into tracker and supporting them by documents and approving them (particularly at the end of year). The second reason for this is that a few expenditures were decided not be approved in full extent.
- The amounts in EUR was rounded so the summary amounts should not correspond.
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
- NO (for July to December 2014, period of this report)
Remember that you will need to report on Global Metrics in your final report.
Remember that you will need to report on your project's impact on WMF's mission and strategic goals in your final report.
- We are encouraging new volunteers to start improving Wikimedia projects, especially by uploading multimedia files. We are building a stable community of Czech photographers.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- The receipts are available to the grantmaking team at our online tracker.
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Travel reimbursement||Travel expenses for participants||-||-||-||2735||3500||EUR||See "measures of success" for a breakdown|
|2||Equipment||Maintenance of currently owned cameras||-||-||-||0||220||EUR||This expense is expected for the later part of the grant term.|
|2||Equipment||New photographic equipment||-||-||-||0||1400||EUR||This expense is expected for the later part of the grant term.|
|4||Workshops||Weekend workshops||-||1||-||446||1200||EUR||See "measures of success" for a breakdown|
|4||Administration||Accountancy||-||-||-||47||792||EUR||Our grant administrator currently serves both this grant and Presentation and Outreach. In year 2014, she is reimbursed from the latter, next year, she is going to be paid from Mediagrant - for simplicity reasons.|
|4||Administration||Other expenses||-||-||-||39||130||EUR||Includes a print toner and minor stationery.|
- Total amount spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 90 479.95 CZK (approx. 3240 €)
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 90 479.95 CZK (approx. 3240 €)
- Based on your spending, will you need to request any changes to your budget? If you do, please see the guidelines for requesting changes to your budget.
- Answer YES or NO.
- Probably YES, but not at this time.