Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Presentation & Outreach II
IMPORTANT: Please do not make changes to this page without the explicit approval of Project and Event Grants Program staff. They will be reverted.
- This project has already been funded, but you may still add or review comments on the discussion page.
- To review a list of other funded submissions, please visit the Requests subpage.
- Report: Please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Presentation & Outreach II/Report to read this report, comment on this report, or review its status.
- Official project name
- Presentation & Outreach II
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- December 1st, 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- December 31st, 2014
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- "Presentation & Outreach II" is a direct successor of "Presentation & Outreach", which is a just-ending WMCZ's "consolidated grant" programme encompassing promotion of Wikimedia projects and cultural partnerships in the Czech Republic, which has been running since 2011. The new request aims to consolidate the grant to a more workable one-year term with a bit more coherent mission goals, while maintaining the previous organization structure to reduce administrative burden we put on volunteers who supervise and participate on individual projects.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- 1 Euro = 1.3583 U.S. dollars, calculated on google.com 30/11/2013
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Organization, oficial chapter of Wikimedia Foundation for the Czech Republic
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Yes, one external accountant.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- We pay an accountant to prepare our financial and tax reports.
- Primary contact name
- Limojoe, chairman of WMCZ, member of P&O Grant Committee
- che, grant clerk, member of P&O Grant Committee
- Jagro, member of P&O Grant Committee
- Primary contact username or email
- pogranty.wikimedia.cz (forwards to all people above)
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- various, see above
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The goal of "Presentation & Outreach II" is to increase public knowledge of and participation in Wikimedia projects in the Czech Republic.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
Based of our experience with previous "Presentation & Outreach I" running for almost 3 years, our plan is to make next iteration a bit less chaotic, and focus on selected key activities. Our aim is to contact TODO new people throughout the main subprojects. Although this number will consist of different ways of engagement, we're including only direct contact with meaningful engagement, as opposed to "might have briefly seen our banner" kind of numbers.
Apart from spreading knowledge about WMF projects, there will be several other benefits, namely increasing Wikipedia quality by educating (prospective) contributors and supplying media through possible institutional donations and from events like Wiki Loves Monuments.
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
We'll be re-using the structure that has already worked well for our Mediagrant and previous P&O: individual activities will be organized by their own supervisors, overseen by a grant committee, with a dedicated person handling the receipts, in order to reduce administrative burden on volunteer supervisors doing programmatic work. As previously, we will use our tracker application to monitor project spending and ensure transparency. One change from the previous grant is that we plan to hire someone (probably a student) to do the "accounting" work, which mainly consists of collecting receipts from everyone involved in the grant, flagging expenses for reimbursement, and archiving the receipts for our real accountant. Having someone not so much involved with the grant will also reduce chance of conflict of interest and improve transparency.
Key activities we'd like to include in this grant, together with their expected benefits, are:
- organize 2014 wiki conference
- supervisor: User:Limojoe, User:Blahma
- expected impact: 100 participants plus 300 viewers of recorded talks
- represent Wikimedia projects on two exhibition/events
- supervisors: User:Packa, User:Limojoe (each of them will handle one)
- expected impact: personal contact with 200 visitors
- establish relations with two GLAM institutions
- supervisor: User:Gampe
- impact: improving Wikipedia through expert knowledge, access to unique media, further propagation of Wikipedia through cooperation, increased credibility
- organize eight Students Write Wikipedia courses
- supervisor: User:Vojtech.dostal
- expected impact: 300 participating students writing new articles
- organize 2014 Wiki Loves Monuments competition
- supervisor: cs:User:Frettie
- expected impact: 50 new media contributors, 5000 new photos
- Wikipedia presentation video for use in lectures -- introducing Wikipedia and showing how to contribute
- supervisor: cs:User:NoJin
- expected impact: usage on editation workshops (100 participants), school lectures (500 students), presentation at exhibitions and other events
- 1 issue of Czech Wikimedium magazine
- supervisor: User:Okino
- expected impact: one issue per 150 copies
- distribution of the book about Wikipedia to schools and libraries
- supervisor: User:Gampe
- 100 copies of the book are to be distributed
Overall, this project covers all outreach activities of our chapter for the year 2014, so the budget includes items such as registration fees for 26 .cz domains for various wiki projects and business cards for volunteers interacting with important institutions.
Budget and resources
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1.1||wikiconference||event||1||1,610||1,610||EUR||470€ video / 630€ venue / 390€ travelling / 120€ refreshments|
|1.3||Wiki loves monuments 2014||event||1||1,300||1,300||EUR|
|1.5||domains||.cz domain per year||26||12||312||EUR|
|1.6||other||800||EUR||other activities fitting into project scope, GLAM and Students Write Wikipedia are included in this item, as they mostly consist of minor travel and postage expenses|
|2||Promotional materials||1,670||EUR||supporting core activities above as well as misc Wikimedia promotion|
|2.1||promotional items||item||590||EUR||small items as thank you for donors, to include in prize packages and giving out at exhibitions such as branded pens or flash drives (figure based on cheapest-to-mid variant from postponed proposal in previous P&O)|
|2.2||Wikimedium magazine||150||180||EUR||based on actual cost, as we have already printed the issue|
|2.3||leaflets||leaflet||5000||0.2||300||EUR||includes mostly updated versions of project leaflets, as well as few thank-you notes for donors|
|3.1||Accountancy||1 month||13||33||429||EUR||700 CZK (28 EUR) per month + tax; see "Project scope and activities"|
- Total cost of project
- 7,876 EUR
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 7,876 EUR
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- We'll be attempting to find sponsors to make WLM and Wiki conference (we have received ~2,700 EUR in 2012 and ~580 EUR in 2013). The budget above covers low-cost variants which will happen if we won't get any outside sponsorship (i.e. not so many WLM prizes and cheaper venue for the conference).
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We don't need anything special.
We have a three-year experience in making exhibitions, conferences and other stuff, which is part of our grant. The grant is managed by the 'P and O committee', consisting of Limojoe, Che and Jagro; members are installed by the chapter board.
You can see our results on Commons and read our reflections on the project on the Wikimedia blog, where you can find for example articles about Education program, which was supported by P&O. Presentation&Outreach (project page for Wikipedians here) is a stabilized institution which is supporting Wikibrand and knowledge about Wikiprojects.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
They key objectives of our project are:
- Popularization of Wikimedia projects within public, possible future cooperation with specialists. Involving more active users in participation/ Attracting of new users/editors eq. more participation.
- Expanding and improving the overall perceiving of the movement by public. Presentation of Wikimedia projects and movement, appreciation of volunteers eq. credibility.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- This project will mostly benefit Czech Wikipedia, as we expect to increase the number of "fresh" editors working on that project (some of the from academia), as well as provide expert knowledge through GLAM cooperations.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- Well, our project includes outreach work, as well as editor education and GLAM cooperation.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- Not much we do is specific to Czech Republic. The concept of shielding volunteer coordinators from accounting and administration could be used elsewhere, as well as our grant tracker application (althout noone has tried so far to our knowledge).
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- We believe we'll get useful free media from cooperation with various institutions, and notably from WLM competition.