Grants talk:PEG/Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 – Macedonia Organizing Team/Wiki Loves Monuments 2013/Report
Thank you for the comprehensive report and congrats on the completion of a successful project! We are impressed with the number of photos uploaded during the course of the grant. We have a couple comments/questions regarding your work. Please note your response does not change the status of the report as accepted.
- Have you assessed if and how photos uploaded to Commons under this project are being used across Wikipedias? If not, this is a helpful tool:Glamorous. AWang (WMF) (talk) 21:49, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
- We're curious to know how you have achieved 30,000+ "likes" on Facebook? Did you conduct a targeted social media campaign? Did you receive special attention in the media? It's a very impressive number that I'm sure other chapters would like to learn from! AWang (WMF) (talk) 21:49, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
- The underspent funds (€1.75) can be absorbed by the chapter. AWang (WMF) (talk) 21:49, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Alexandra and thanks for your interesting questions. Please find the answers sorted in the same order:
- We intended to use the pictures from this project in articles relating to places, villages, religious buildings, cultural institutions, folk customs, folk objects, holidays and ceremonies etc. One of our future goals is to start an internal project to place the relevant images in their intended articles and to encourage the creation of those that are currently non-existent, but relate to subjects depicted on the photos from the contest. We didn't know about the tool that you mention above and after running it for the category with the images from our project it yielded that 128 distinct images are used in 205 articles on 17 different projects.
- Our fan page on Facebook was created exactly three years ago, at the time of celebrating the 10-years anniversary of Wikipedia. The number of page likes followed a growth trend of about 5,000 likes in the first two years and 20,000 new likes in 2013. We strongly believe that one of the main reasons for our success is the activity of the page administrators in regularly posting new content, mostly associated with events on the current date, that attracts the fans to contribute by commenting and sharing the posted content. The process of sharing can be seen as another driver for increasing the number of page lakes, as it allows the friends of our fans to become new fans of the page. Images from Wiki Loves Cultural Heritage 2013 were also posted during and quickly after the competition. Importantly, the promotion of articles from the Macedonian Wikipedia on our fan page on Facebook has significantly increased the number of page views in the days they were posted. The third factor for this success might be the fact that the link to the fan page has prevailed in the sitenotice template on the Macedonian Wikipedia all the time, allowing our readers to have a better access to it. Our target group consists primarily of native speakers of Macedonian, although it's evident that we have fans from other countries as well. Articles and news about the Macedonian Wikipedia have already appeared in the social media, but it's difficult to judge in advance the impact this had to the popularity of our fan page. We know that there are also other language editions of Wikipedia that use Facebook as a platform to promote their content through the social networks and we've already established communication with them to share our experience. It was also mentioned as a positive example at some conferences and we plan to share our experience at other events in near future.
- Thanks. We will submit our next grant request very soon and we can reappoint the remaining funds to it.
- Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 01:21, 23 January 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for the detailed response. I'm happy to hear the tool was useful and the photos are being used on so many distinct articles and projects! Learning more about your social media strategy is especially helpful. We'll be sure to help share your experience with other groups. AWang (WMF) (talk) 17:42, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
Since the amount remaining is very small, this 1.75 EUR may be used by Wikimedians in Macedonia or Wikimedia Macedonia for any mission-aligned purposes. It does not need to be returned to WMF or deducted from a future payment. Cheers, Winifred Olliff (Grants Administrator) talk 23:26, 29 January 2014 (UTC)