Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Jamie Tubers/Wiki Loves Africa 2019 in Nigeria/Report
Reallocating the Remaining Funds from this grant
Pending the final conclusion of this report review, I would like to request that the remaining funds from this grant be channelled into the “Months of African Cinema Contest”.
Here are the prizes, we want to give out for the contest:
- Overall Winner - $100
- Second place - $50
- Third place - $30
- Diversity Winner - $30
- Gender gap filler - $30
- Total - $240
The rest of the funds ($37) may help with any processing fees. I understand that WMF does not support cash prizes, so these funds would be given out in form of gift cards, vouchers, or other non-cash methods allowed in the concerned countries. Thank you. ——Jamie Tubers (talk) 15:18, 15 November 2019 (UTC)
Comments from WMF
Dear Jamie Tubers, thank you for submitting this final grant report and your receipts. We have reviewed both and have left some comments and questions below that will require follow-up before we can accept the report and close the grant.
Comments and Questions
- Congratulations on meeting or exceeding so many of your goals! We’re very happy to hear that the contest served as a great way to generate awareness about Wikimedia in Nigeria.
- We’re sorry to hear about the challenges you faced with needing to reschedule an event at the last minute, and losing photos taken at events. Thank you for discussing the lessons you took away from both those situations; it sounds like you’ll be better prepared to face them in the future, should they happen again.
- You noted that it was difficult to get photos used on various Wikis but that you might follow up with edit-a-thons in the future. Were you able to do that? If so, did it have an impact on the number of photos used in articles?
- We want to acknowledge a mistake we made. When we approved your application we did not notice that it included stipends for organizers. Unfortunately, this is something we do not permit. Although there is not anything we can do about it now in regards to this grant, please note that in the future you will not be allowed to provide organizers with stipends or any form of compensation, per our Guidelines and Criteria.
- Hi WJifar (WMF), thank you for your comments, here are my responses to the parts which require answers.
- 3.Yes. Initially, we were unable to make use of them on wikis due to time constraint. We didn't organize a follow up edit-a-thon, as focus shifted towards hosting two major developer workshops, which had people from AWMD flying in, to teach interested community members on how to contribute to Wikimedia beyond just editing and uploading, but also programming. However, members were still constantly encouraged to use their images from WLA (and generally) in Wikipedia articles, and a lot of them have indeed been doing that. Usage is still low, but beyond the threshold which we set.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:15, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- 4.This is a sad news, because in my experience, the organizers are more motivated to leave their daily activities and dedicate to WLA, when there's a stipend for them, which especially helps to offset internet and logistic costs associated with their involvement (they shouldn't have to volunteer and then pay for these costs too. That's stretching it). However, I have noted this information for future purposes. Thanks a lot.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:15, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
We have a few questions and requests regarding your receipts:
- Your report lists the vehicle for hire as costing NGN 20,000, but the receipt you submitted is for NGN 25,000. Could you please update the report’s budget (including totals and the amount remaining) to reflect the amount in the receipt?
- Since you do not have receipts for Item #3 in your report’s budget please follow these instructions for documenting the expense. Furthermore, since we do not allow grantees to distribute cash to participants (as we noted in your application’s discussion page) please note that for future grants you will need to either buy food directly for participants or have them buy their own food and then submit receipts to you for reimbursement. We know this is more burdensome, but we require it to be in compliance with U.S. financial regulations.
- Similarly, for Item #5, thank you for providing a receipt proving that you transferred the funds. However, we will also need receipts from the organizers at Unilorin showing how these funds were spent. If they do not have receipts, please have them follow the instructions above to document their expenses.
- Finally, for all the expenses in Item #14 we will need a similar accounting. We already have the receipt for the amount you spent on calls, but please provide documentation that breaks down the rest of the non-receipted expenses. For the bank charges, please provide images of your bank statement (it’s fine for you to cross out the bank account number so we can’t see it) that show the charges.
Once we have addressed these final points we will be able to accept your expense documentation and final report, and review your request to reallocate the remaining funds. Thank you very much for your help with these final steps. Best regards, WJifar (WMF) (talk) 22:21, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Hi again WJifar (WMF), here are the responses to the questions:
- This has been corrected.
- I will do that and forward to your mail. Also, I didn't know that not distributing cash prizes to contest winners also included not giving cash reimbursements to participants, unless there are receipts. This information has been noted and will be considered in the future.
- Alright, I will see if this is still possible, since the president of the club as at then (Alaafia) has now graduated and all of these happened quite a while ago, so he might not be able retrieve the receipts or correctly remember the breakdown of the expenses. But I'll try.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:35, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- I can provide the breakdown (as I wrote them down before), but I can't provide the receipts, as they were mostly informal transactions around organizing the events. Also, I will not be able to provide images from the bank statement, because I have closed down the account due to some issues I was having with the bank (the WMF grantsadmin have full information about this). However, the bank charges are mostly funds transfer charges and also withdrawal fees which the bank takes off domiciliary accounts.
- Thank you!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:35, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Hello again WJifar (WMF), after going through the documentations again, I have realized that the initial figure for vehicle hire was accurate. The driver fee in the receipt was added to the miscellany cost on this meta page. I have reverted the edits back to the previous version. Thanks.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:34, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
Hello Jamie Tubers, thank you for providing answers to our questions and emailing us with the remaining expense documentation. I am approving your request of using the remaining funds from this grant towards the AfroCine prizes as mentioned above. I am also approving your request to use the remaining $37 USD from that towards other mission aligned activities such as bank processing fees. Please note before we can mark your grant complete we will need to receive receipts for the gift cards or vouchers you get for the AfroCine prizes. You can send those to us through email at <email@example.com>. Best regards, WJifar (WMF) (talk) 23:54, 3 December 2019 (UTC)
- Hello, Thank you very much for approving the report. I'll let you know once the funds are distributed for the contest!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 00:34, 11 December 2019 (UTC)