Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Oral history digitization
Salut Jean-Frédéric ! Thank you for proposing this grant, which looks like it would serve an interesting project! I have a few remarks and questions about it.
- It is starting after it is ending, which is...well, a tour de force (I am wondering if you have managed to develop a time machine? :P) - Please correct the start-end dates which seem to have been mixed up :)
- I think I get the gist of the project, but I am a bit confused as to *who* the videos feature, and where they come from. Can you maybe clarify this?
- Apparently this is an ongoing project. Is there some link you can provide to what you've already worked on?
- In the impact section, you mention 10-30 participants, but I am not sure what these participants participate in, can you be more specific?
- The per diem seems very reasonable, but we're trying to keep those "official", what have you based this one on? Is there an Austrian "Reise Pauschale" somewhere that you have used? Or how have you calculated this?
- It is not clear from your project description what the hard drives will be used for. Maybe a little description of your workflow might help make that clearer.
- Hallo Delphine (WMF)! Danke fur deine Fragen :)
- Here is a first round of answers:
- Good catch with the dates ;) Fixed.
- As indicated in the proposal, these are “individuals who either played major roles in important political events and decisions during iranian 1979 revolution and afterwards or witnessed these events from close range” − this includes Abolhassan Banisadr, Faezeh Hashemi Rafsanjani, Mostafa Tajzadeh or Ebrahim Yazdi.
- Videos are being processed. Given their sheer size we enlisted the help of Brion Vibber to perform a Server-side upload − this is tracked on Phabricator at phab:T173377.
- Liebe Gruße, Jean-Fred (talk) 14:23, 12 September 2017 (UTC)
- The activities planned for the participants are training and editing − we are planning an edit-a-thon and a wiki workshop.
- Hard drives: the videos are so big that we need hard-drives to transfer them from the origin computer to the computer needed to process them. Then we will likely send the hard-drive to WMF for upload. The complete workflow is not entirely decided yet − we may proceed like the previous batch and enlist the help of someone like Brion to help with the conversion/upload again ; or we may convert the videos ourselves if we can, and stash them online somewhere for WMF to upload. We will likely try the latter and if it does not work out switch to the former.
- Jean-Fred (talk) 14:47, 13 September 2017 (UTC)
Thank you Jean-Fred and -CDG (WMAT staff) for your answers. This grant request is hereby approved. Morgan will get back to you with more admin info. Delphine (WMF) (talk) 06:10, 19 September 2017 (UTC)
Request for shift of the expenditures
We would like to ask for your permission to change the budget of the Oral History Grant as follows:
- The storage device expenses turned our to be higher than expected: 600 instead of 300 EUR, as the files are considerably bigger after they are converted into a format that is suitable for Commons.
- The accomodation in return will cost less. We went for a cheaper hotel to make up for it: Approx. 233 EUR instead of 700 EUR.