Hardware donation program/HandsomeBoy
Your contact information
- your username
- your contact e-mail (optional)
Explain your plan
Tell us about how you contribute currently, and how you would contribute if WMF were to gift a used laptop to you. I have written a lot of Nigerian articles on English Wikipedia. I have have also licensed videos and images to Commons. I'm also an active member of Wikimedia UG Nigeria. My present laptop has been faulty for a while now, it goes off almost immediately when power lost, it also hibernates whenever I open multiple windows, and shuts down itself at times. This has made me to be using a touchscreen mobile device, which is usually not as convenient as typing with a keyboard when contributing to Wikipedia for some time now. If I am gifted this system, in addition to more effective contribution to English and Yoruba Wikipedia, being the de-facto president of the fan club in my school, I plan to also use it (along with WUGN members) to teach other students in the newly established association, who are eager to contribute positively to Wikipedia.
Add the existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions that you seek to impact with this equipment.
- English Wikipedia
- Yoruba Wikipedia
Work you're proud of
Show us (through links) some of your best Wikimedia work, on or off wiki, to help us get a sense for the kind of work you do. (no more than 3 or 4 links at most, please.)
- Africa Movie Academy Awards
- 2014 Nigeria Immigration Recruitment Tragedy
- Erin Ijesha Waterfalls
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING THIS ON BEHALF OF A WIKIMEDIA AFFILIATE (i.e. to be owned by a Wikimedia affiliate rather than an individual), please type your affiliate name below, and add a link to your affiliate's public equipment tracking page.
- Affiliate name
- Public equipment tracking page
- the applicant is a student of University of Ibadan and a very important member of WUGN that will be coordinating activities of our group for this new hub from within the institution.He will surely need this device. l, therefore support this application Olaniyan Olushola (talk)
- You have mentioned Yoruba Wikipedia in the "Affected project" section above. However, I could not find your contribution there (from central auth etc.). Are you planning to start working there, or are you editing there under a different username?
All other things look good to me. Best wishes. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 08:00, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
- Thank you for the reply Titodutta. I will begin editing the Yoruba Wikipedia seriously, if I'm gifted this laptop. I didn't know much of other Wikimedia resources until recently. I didn't even know there was a metapage like this. I wanted to partake in an edithaton on Yoruba Wikipedia some weeks ago, but couldn't because of inconvenience in using my device. If I get this device, I will replicate the enthusiasm that I have showed in adding Nigerian content on English Wp to Yoruba Wikipedia, I will even be more committed because I'm more passionate about my local language, and consequently expanding contents in my local dialect. Thanks for the best wishes.
- Endorsed - Darreg has a track record of improving Wikimedia projects. Please, let me know if you need any help contributing to Yoruba Wikipedia. With kind regards. Wikicology (talk) 08:32, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
- Endorsed - Very impressive record at the English Wikipedia, would be a net advantage to us all. Mahveotm (talk) 08:06, 31 March 2017 (UTC)
You are encouraged to track the impact this equipment has helped you make. This encourages WMF to donate more hardware.
- Since I got this laptop, I have organized three in-person edit-a-thons 1, 2, 3, and in every of those there have been between 3-8 members of our local Wikimedia hub, who didn't come with a smart device. For them to still decide to attend our event despite not having any means that whenever they have, they'll most likely become potential volunteers. The availability of this device assisted me in getting them ready for that day. It made it easier for me to show them what I'm doing in practical details. This would have been more difficult with just a single low-efficient Laptop, as a matter of fact, previous programs organized usually have higher number of participants not following due to this challenge. This has been an incredibly helpful donation from WMF.
- Personally, as an editor on en-wiki I've been more concise in my edits. The battery life of the WMF laptop, makes it easier for me to plan my volunteering time better. I don't have to fear anymore than my laptop will go off arbitrarily. This has made me more efficient, which is demonstrated in the smaller time I now use to create more articles. Since the laptop got approved, I have created at least 43 articles, and contributed significantly to more than 50 other articles. This was done in a more regular manner compared to my former editing pattern.
- As per yo-wp, the focus of Wikimedia hub, Ibadan for this year is centered on language Wikipedia. Reason its impact may not be measured now is because we're still planning towards our first program for the year. After being properly introduced to how to use tonal marks on the Wikipedia. This dimension will get more measurable. I recently discovered that with regards to Wikimedia contributions, Yoruba words without tonal marks are essentially not helpful.
- Overall, this is a commendable development from the Wikimedia Foundation, and I think if its directed mainly towards individuals who have (i) high number of contributions on Wikipedia (ii) singularly organizes editing projects, especially in third world countries. I also think more emphasis should be placed on the battery life of a laptop above every other specification, as I think that is a primarily useful feature in determine number of contribution sand utility of the device with respect to its intended function.