International Archives Week 2022
CALL TO IMPROVE THE PRESENCE OF ARCHIVES ON WIKIPEDIA / WIKIDATA
6 TO 10 JUNE 2022
With this call, Wikimedia Switzerland and the Association of Swiss Archivists VSA-AAS want to give an impulse to support this initiative. In consulting the geographical map linked below, you will immediately see, that there is a lot to catch up regarding Wikimedia content on archives in the respective countries.
We thank all the volunteers and authors engaging in our projects and we hope you will continue to make a contribution to free archival knowledge by adding and completing the free encyclopedia Wikipedia and the Wikimedia sister projects on topics related to the theme of ‚ArchivesAreYou‘. In keeping with the International Archives Week and this year's focus, we invite you to help us completing and improving the presence of archives on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata.
International Archives Week 2022 is about
archivist and the civil society
This year's International Archives Week is about discussing what it means to be an archivist and what archival records truly reflect: stories. Those stories show the tensions but also the bridges that archives create within the profession and with the communities that are represented (or not represented) in those narratives.
ICA is inviting the records and archives community to reflect on the following two main topics:
- Archivists: Archives represent the professional practices and standards of archivists, but they also affect us as practitioners. This stream is about understanding how archival practices influence what is in or out of the ‘archival record’, how our practices reflect professional biases and how the records impact us with the stories they tell. .
- Civil Society: Archives contain the stories of individuals past, present and eventually future. They help us understand who we are and what we want to be. Understanding what stories archives reflect, who is in? Who is out? Do certain marginalised communities want to be documented in “institutional archives”?
Consult the Geographic Archives Map for linked Wikimedia Content
The following geographic map locates Archives in Switzerland, Austria and Germany, based on Wikidata records. If you want to know which archives already have a Wikipedia article and which do not, as well as the respective quality of the article, you can find out by using the link to the map below. If you are a Wikidata expert, help us to improve and inject additional meta data into Wikidata to complete the information base for archives in Switzerland, Austria and Germany.
Have fun exploring!
How to participate & contribute
- The Association of Swiss Archivists VSA-AAS made a list on their website with all the archives who participate.
- Europeana-Sammlungen online Link
- UNESCO Digitale Bibliothek - Open-Access-Material für die Forschung Link
- Schweizerisches Bundesarchiv Online-Zugang Link
- Archivbestand der ETH-Bibliothek Link
- e-Helvetica der Schweizerischen Nationalbibliothek Link
- Archivdatenbank der Schweizerischen Nationalbibliothek Link
- Bilder-Archiv Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Volkskunde Link
- Zugang zu den audiovisuellen Archiven des IKRK Link
- Online-Katalog der Schweizerischen Nationalphonothek Link
|For voluntary community|
|Kerstin Sonnekalb, presswikimedia.ch|