Kiwix4schools Project/Mentorship Program
What is the Kiwix Mentorship Program About?
Imagine a world where education is accessible to all, regardless of access to the internet. This vision is being made a reality by Open Foundation West Africa through the launch of the Kiwix Mentorship Program. With the goal of empowering African individuals with the knowledge and skills to use Kiwix software, the program aims to eliminate barriers to educational resources in areas with limited connectivity. Join us in making education more inclusive and reachable for all.
The Kiwix Mentorship Program is just one of the many initiatives undertaken by Open Foundation West Africa to promote open knowledge and equal access to education. With a team of dedicated mentors, participants will receive hands-on training and support to maximize their use of the Kiwix software. This will enable them to make a positive impact in their communities by providing access to a wealth of educational resources and information. With the successful completion of the program, mentees will become ambassadors of the open knowledge movement and help to spread the reach of Kiwix. Join us in creating a future where education knows no boundaries."
Why is mentorship Important?
The Kiwix Mentorship Program is important because it addresses the issue of unequal access to education and information, particularly in areas with limited internet connectivity. By providing mentees with training and support, they will be equipped to overcome these challenges and make educational content readily available in their communities. This not only helps to bridge the digital divide but also empowers individuals to take control of their learning and development. By fostering a new generation of advocates for open knowledge, the Kiwix Mentorship Program has the potential to make a lasting impact on education and information access for years to come.
What will happen?
- The participant will be taken through a two-day training with assignments
- Mentors will be connected with at least 2 mentees
- Continuous support will be provided throughout the project
- Certificates would be awarded to mentees who complete the course
- Mentees will stand the chance of winning our mini fund award to implement the Kiwix project in their community
Who can participate?
- Wikimedia Volunteers
- Wikimedia Affiliate/user groups, Organizations
- Learn new project
- Learn new skills, eg; how to use the Kiwix software to access educational content offline
- Networking and collaboration opportunities
- Access educational content
- Educators and learners will be able to access educational content in their schools without any internet cost when the project is implemented
- Students can access content like Wikipedia, Wikitionary, Ted Videos, Subject matter content etc to improve learning
- Africa Mentorship Program Launch Webinar - Thursday March 16 2023. Time: 16:00 UTC
- Call for mentees across Africa - March 16th - March 30th, 2023
- Training session for African mentees - April , 2023
- One on one Mentorship till implementation - May, 2023
- Graduation and Certification - May 2023
- Project Implementation - June - November 2023