Learning patterns/Organising a photowalk for Wikimedia projects
Different Wikimedia affiliates and projects organise different Photography contests to enrich Wikimedia commons with particular images, but these contests limit with particular topics for example, Wiki Loves Monument- Which brings images related to monuments into commons and can further be added to Wikipedia articles. What happen when you organise an offline photo walk? This pattern will guide you in organising a Photowalk event. A photowalk is an opportunity to explore the heritage or place, exchange ideas and information and bring images under free licence.
What problem does this solve?
Organising a Wikipedia offline event isn't quite easy, similar problems occur while organising a photo walk for Commons. Like offline editathons and conferences, many new people attend the photo walk event. Not everyone among participants is familiar with Wikipedia and Commons policies, and neither with CC licence.
What is the solution?
There might be various solutions to this problem, but recently I had conducted a photowalk for Wiki Loves Monuments, which helped in bringing 10 new Wikimedians, and 100+ new photographs into Commons. It helped in updating images of at least 10 articles in 3-4 different language Wikipedia.
Things to consider
How important photowalks are?
- It helps to spread awareness about Wikimedia movement and let people know how the image they see in Wikipedia articles were donated by people like them.
- It helps in getting images from different participants.
- Helps in updating images in articles of different language Wikipedias.
- Helps in forming a photographer community for your language Wikipedia.
Prework is one of the most important activity before organising any event, organising a photowalk is not difficult; If we have proper planning and team (If it's a group activity)
Post event is the most important step for every activity, without a post-event plan the activity might turn into a one-time activity. So, we should also consider the following things:
- Never expect registered participants in Google form as the the exact number of participants.
- Proper timeline for starting and ending the event matters, or else you have to end the event in between according to participants convenience.
- For any heritage walk, photowalks at earliest time is more suitable to avoid distraction.
- Never demotivate participants- As Wikipedia says anyone can edit it- so anyone can participate the photowalk.
- Prepare yourself for a lot of questions related to the movement.
When to use
- Photowalks can be organized anytime, but to grab the attention of participants, we have to be very specific for the theme of the photowalk.
- I will suggest to organize it during any Wiki Loves competition, or any specific Wiki Takes project.
- Thank you for this great feedback! Papischou (talk) 18:10, 17 October 2016 (UTC)
- Endorse: A good one. It will serve as a guideline too. Regards, -- Tito Dutta (talk) 14:04, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
- The "photowalk" concept is very similar to the Semana i expedition to Desierto de los Leones.https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Semana_i_Fall_2016_Wiki_Expedici%C3%B3n_(Desierto_de_los_Leones) We should note that this kind of event is best for small groups and/or areas which are dense with photographic opportunities; otherwise, you wind up with everyone taking pictures of the same thing. As far as education about the area, this is not a problem, but to get the maximum bang for Wikimedia, these events should be also be organized to get the most, and most varied content. If participants feel that they are just reinvening the wheel, or competing with others to get their photo on the Wikipedia page, the event can have opposite the intended effect. Thelmadatter (talk) 16:11, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
- endorse: --Kritzolina (talk) 13:52, 15 April 2017 (UTC)
- I would like to help guiding and assisting the participant and also involved towards various service which will help communicate with all. Ill show positive aspects of to the community, will share and care people who needs some assist. Identify issues and/or opportunities for collecting data. Explore organizational culture and help other follow the event privacy. 18.104.22.168 02:12, 16 April 2017 (UTC)
- I would like to help guiding and assisting the participant and also involved towards various service which will help communicate with all. Ill show positive aspects of to the community, will share and care people who needs some assist. Identify issues and/or opportunities for collecting data. Explore organizational culture and help other follow the event privacy. Mohamedudhuman05 (talk) 02:13, 16 April 2017 (UTC)