UNC Women in Science Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2019
The Allies for Minorities and Women in Science and Engineering (AM_WISE) group, STEM Pride of the Triangle and the Kenan Science Library are co-hosting the fifth annual “Women in Science Edit-a-thon at UNC” APRIL 17, 2019 at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The goal of the Women in Science Edit-a-thon at UNC will be to:
- Create pages for women scientists who do not currently have their own dedicated page,
- Improve citations and supplement pages that currently exist but are sparse, and
- Identify opportunities to create links that make women scientists’ profiles more accessible.
We want to emphasize that no subject knowledge or Wikipedia editing experience is necessary! For those who are new to Wikipedia, we will have an introductory workshop that will teach the basics of creating new articles and editing existing Wikipedia articles. Please sign-up below if you plan on attending. Attendees will also have the opportunity to explore and learn more about the Makerspace, a part of the UNC Libraries’ Research Hub initiative.
WHEN: April 17, 2019 from 5:00PM-8:00PM. While we have an official start and end time, we encourage anyone who is interested in participating to come when you are free and stay for as long as you like!
WHERE: Kenan Science Library and Makerspace on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus in Venable Hall, ground floor.
WHO: We welcome anyone to participate with us!
- Experienced or new Wikipedians (We will provide assistance with Wikipedia formatting and syntax.)
- Scientists and non-scientists! (The Kenan Science Library will help provide resources to assist with your research.)
- UNC faculty, staff, and students.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ARRIVE: The Kenan Science Library is located on the ground floor of Venable Hall (G301). Volunteers will be there to greet you.
- Please bring your laptop and charger! If you have not connected to the UNC wireless network, there are three public computers available for use. Unfortunately, Kenan Science Library does not have access to the "UNC-guest" wireless.
- Parking at UNC is free in most lots after 5PM. We have planned our event so that you will be able to park in the Venable parking lot.
WILL THERE BE FOOD?: Yes!
We understand that not everyone will be able to make it on the day of the event. We want you to still have the opportunity to participate, so please feel free to participate remotely!
Throughout the event, we will be updating this page in real time. Participants will be able to identify the articles or tasks that they would most like to complete. Throughout the event, comments and questions can either be emailed to uncwise(at)gmail(dot)com or tweeted to @UNC_WISE with the hashtags #UNCWISEeditathon, #wikiNC and #CitSciDay2019
If you are participating remotely, don’t forget to edit this page and RSVP below!
Registration is strongly encouraged so that we can budget appropriately to feed participants! If you haven't yet, please consider! The day of the event please sign into our Dashboard = http://go.unc.edu/AMWISE so we can keep track of all of our edits!
Please add your name below if you are planning to attend.
This is one of several edit-a-thons happening in Chapel Hill and Durham in April 2019. If you're in the area, please consider participating in the following meet-ups as well! We also encourage you to connect to the North Carolina Triangle Wikipedians user group to stay up-to-date with events and other users in the Triangle.