Movement Strategy/Initiatives/Resources for Newcomers
You can read this page in your own language on the Movement Strategy Forum.
Resources for Newcomers
Improving the User Experience of the Wikimedia platform involves making it more friendly for newcomers by providing them with better resources. Newcomers often struggle with understanding the Wikimedia interface and learning how to use it, which may be a significant barrier towards attracting new users. Resources for those newcomers should be made easy to find and navigable despite the vast amount of pages across Wikimedia Projects. Resources should also be made available in simple language that is easy to understand and translate.
Easy-to-find and easy-to-understand resources for newcomers, including onboarding media and guiding interfaces helping them independently learn and navigate.
Apply for a Movement Strategy implementation grant to create a project that advances this initiative.
If you need help in getting involved, please don't hesitate to get in touch directly with members of the Movement Strategy and Governance Team. They are here to help!
You can write to the team in any of 19 languages (listed on the team's page), by writing an email to: email@example.com
|Initiative||Project||Stakeholder type||Project lead||Geography of the project||Implementation Phase|
|13. Resources for newcomers||Overall Initiative Coordination|
|13. Resources for newcomers||Newcomer Experience Pilot||WMF|
|13. Resources for newcomers||Community Officer Program||Chapter|
|13. Resources for newcomers||Peer Support Networks within the Wikimedia Movement||WMF|
Related documents and discussions
Some of the past discussions, texts and old versions of Movement Strategy recommendations that can provide further context to this initiative:
- Community Health recommendation #6: Newcomers are a key indicator to the success of the movement
- Diversity recommendation #1: Introducing people-centered principles within the Wikimedia movement
- Diversity recommendation #2: Reaching a self-aware and dynamic structure aimed at community diversity and health
- Diversity recommendation #3: Redesigning the platforms for more diversity of people and content experiences
- Diversity recommendation #4: Planned community diversification
- Initiative discussion on Meta (2020)
- Proposal:A beginners video tutorial on how to use wikimedia sites (2009)
- Proposal:Embedded_live_user_assistance (2009)