New England Wikimedians/Events
New England Wikimedians is a Wikimedian user group representing all Wikimedians in New England, recognized on December 30, 2013.
This user group provides outreach and assistance to individuals and groups in the New England region who are interested in hosting Wikimedia-related events such as group discussions and edit-a-thons.
Wikimedians from Boston and the surrounding area meet most months, typically in casual get-togethers over food, to talk about all things Wikimedia and beyond. We also organize and attend special events, like talks from distinguished speakers, edit-a-thons, photo scavenger hunts, and collaborations with local cultural institutions. For thoughts about the future of the group, including plans for major future events, see the New England Wikimedians website.
Please sign up for an upcoming event, add a future event, fill out details, or link to pictures of earlier events! Connect with other local Wikimedians, or stop by and find out what Wikimedia is about! The Boston group has met since at least 2004.
- Boston Rock City: Explore Wikidata and Learn About Local Music: Boston Public Library is partnering with Harvard Library for a guided exploration of Wikidata and local music history. Join us for two days of music and Wikidata editing; no prior experience or punk cred necessary! This public event is free to all and will take place via Zoom; please register in advance. The subject of this project is the Arthur Freedman Collection, and audiovisual archive that captures over four decades of Boston rock music performances. We’ll provide: instructions, tools, data sources, visualizations, optional Discord chat, and a soundtrack. If you have questions, please contact Harvard Library staff member Peter Laurence at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For recent events, see Wikipedia:Meetup/Boston
(fill in events from en.wp list!)
- January 16, 2016 Wikipedia 15th Anniversary
- January 22, 2016 Teaching with Wikipedia workshop @ MIT Libraries
- January 22, 2016 Introduction to editing Wikipedia @ MIT Libraries Edit-a-thon
- January 29, 2016 Writing Black History @ MIT Libraries Edit-a-thon
- October 16: Women in Architecture Edit-a-thon
- October 28: Underrepresented Groups in Massachusetts History Edit-a-thon
- March 28: History of Lowell editathon, last one!!
- January 18: End of 2013 Celebration and Meeting at MIT, Cambridge
- February 1: Art+Feminism Meetup at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- March 3: Simmons College Women's History Edit-a-thon 2014 at Simmons College, Boston
- March 4: Seven Sisters Women's History Edit-a-thon 2014 at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley
- March 4: Seven Sisters Women's History Edit-a-thon 2014 at Smith College, Northampton
- March 12: Seven Sisters Women's History Edit-a-thon 2014 at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Cambridge
- March 18: Charles M. Vest Tribute Women in STEM Edit-a-thon at MIT, Cambridge
- April 16: HLS Legal Editathon at Harvard Law School, Cambridge
- April 19: April 2014 meeting at Clover Food Lab, Cambridge
- May 3: Peabody Essex Museum Edit-a-thon Spring 2014 at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem
- May 21: Wikipedia:Meetup/Boston/Wadewitz Memorial 2014 at Northeastern University, Boston
- May 22: Wikipedia:Meetup/Providence/Brown Wadewitz Memorial 2014 at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- June 25: How to Run an Edit-a-thon/Adrianne Wadewitz Memorial Edit-a-thon at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Cambridge
- July 19: 3rd Annual Wikimedia New England General Meeting at the Boston Public Library, Boston
- August 23: Cape Cod Wiknic and Photography Blitz (cancelled)
- October 14: Informal Talk Wikipedia! meetup with Peteforsyth at Golden Temple, Brookline
- October 21: City Archives edit-a-thon at the Boston City Archives, West Roxbury
- October 22: Open Access/Wikipedia Loves Libraries Week edit-a-thon at Northeastern University, Boston
- October 23: Open Access Week edit-a-thon at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island